Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Does anybody know what the next steps are for the NJMS programs once you’ve been admitted? Should I be on the lookout for an upcoming email? Furthermore, how do I go about choosing the feeder school through which I would like to matriculate?

Are you done with all BSMD results? For NJIT, there is a deposit link on portal. If TCNJ is your first choice (as you said before), then either wait for them to inform you or you can call them and ask.

1 Like

Still waiting for a final decision from AMC (interviewed March 16) but I would choose NJMS over AMC regardless.

I will wait till the end of the week to see if anybody is contacted from TCNJ, otherwise I will reach out to them myself.

2 Likes

Is there an earlier deadline to choose ? Usually it is May 1, deadline to make a deposit to confirm your place in UG class. NJIT may require you to take some higher level mathematics classes beyond Calculus II. Will you commute from home or live on campus ? There may be an earlier application deadline for requesting on campus housing at TCNJ. You may find your own roommates or they may assign you.

It seems a few US medical school seniors wanted a Pathology or General Surgery residency position.
"The rate of U.S. MD graduates matched to first-year positions increased from 45.6% to 48.2%, while U.S. DO graduates matching to first-year positions increased from 43.1% to 44.3%.

Specialties that filled all available positions (with at least 30 positions) included dermatology, emergency medicine, pediatrics, neurological surgery, otolaryngology, integrated plastic surgery, and vascular surgery.

Specialties that filled less than 50% of available positions with U.S. seniors included pathology (41.4%) and surgery (28%)."

I like how Hofstra can tell me the kid who didn’t get an interview didn’t make it before GW who gave the kid an interview can make a peep.

:expressionless::expressionless::expressionless:

They also haven’t announced undergrad decisions and posters about this are getting grouchy

1 Like

I remember seeing it. My only issues is our favorite BSMD booster always claim that BSMD ones are doing better than traditional path because they are exceptional and no EC “grind”.

Have you tried calling them?

what does General Surgery lead to? Is there something else you need to do (like fellowship) after it? If not, what kind of surgery they do?

Yes, a fellowship can lead to specializations like neurosurgeon, plastic surgery sub-specialties, cardiac surgeon and others. Otherwise they do regular surgery in hospitals.

BU SMED program requires some time during summers on campus to complete the program. It may put extra burden on them to do ECs necessary for applying out.

But Neuro Surgery, Plastic Surgery etc are separate residencies by itself.

Yes, some of these are integrated positions. Those who want a back door can go via general surgery route with a fellowship. One can practice as a general surgeon if not successful in getting a fellowship.

1 Like

Still waiting! Will keep everyone posted.

Yes. I promise I only whinge this much if I have first tried to solve my own problems.

I don’t know how I missed that, really stressed out last night with this research and just skipped some main points in the huge post, thanks for sharing. Is it true though? The match list probably gives that info, I will check.

If you applied through TCNJ already, contact them and say that you got accepted by NJMS through another feeder school, then they will take you right away. We have that option too, but as an OOS, TCNJ option will not work very well for us.

RPI-AMC did the same thing - modified their 6-year program to the current 7-year program several years ago. i just think it’s more humane, less likely for the students to burnout. the 6-year program required them to take full-time classes during both summers (between 1st-2nd year, between 2nd-3rd year just prior to entering medical school).

MCAT score of 510 very unlikely to get one into NYU (median MCAT score of matriculating student there was 522).

Just sent them an email - I will update if/when I hear back.