Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

With your kids caliber, If I were you would not even hang around on BSMD forum! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Agree JHU full scholarship is better than full pay HYP.

If she is planning to do BME, I prefer JHU over GT.

Duke has similar gap year stats as JHU.

1 Like

NJMS interviews:

Since NJMS only interviews once, accounting for applications from multiple feeder schools, unique interviews are in the 125-150 range.

You can estimate based on assumptions of duplications and arrive at the interview number.

2 Likes

It is only a guess-estimate (150) based on your own assumptions. No authentic source has verified it. IMO, it may be more than 150.

@love4bsmd congrats on your DD’s acceptance to Upstate.

It’s the parent here. DD has Purchase as the feeder for Upstate. She is enjoying the undergrad. there are 5 kids in her batch. Feel free to message if you have any queries.

@Zephyr212 Good to see you back! Did you accept Upstate BSMD last cycle? If so, how is your experience? I believe your feeder is either UAlbany or Purchase. DD is going there this cycle through ACPHS.

2 Likes

deleted

Please post as an opinion not as a fact if not able to verify. Be transparent.

deleted

deleted

@love4bsmd

I learned a lot here- For example, unlike undergrad school rankings or engg rankings, never knew that undergrad is not much relevant except good GPA and future MCAT.

There are very smart kids and knowledgeable parents here. You always learn.

As she plans to be MD, she has applied to few MD programs and has interview with SBU.

Better to learn and explore - another month or so and then all ends.

@srk2017

Not sure how much name of scholarship matters except $$ atleast not in Engineering- You get summer internships based on networking and your strength at UG. Everyone in the class at top CS school has an internship.

I am still learning on medical side though.

Who else applied via Stevens and forwarded to NJMS receive any notification on NJMS status ?
TIA

Of the 20% that did not have gap year before medical school, what % are BSMD students? So actual % of students getting into medical school right after BS is lower than 20%?

If this 80-20% talk is only for JHU, I guess none are BSMD students.

In general the gap years stats could be a bit high when you exclude bsmd folks, with the really tiny number of bsmd intake that change may not be significant.

Oh, my bad. I thought it was all medical students and was wondering.

@compengineer1 Since only your D has done whatever she wants to apply without any parent intervention, she will do well even in JHU BME. At the worst case even if there is a gap year, who cares down the road in life. It is not easy by any means to get selective named scholarship in any school. That proves she is capable and with any proper planning from 1st semester, she will prevail if she wants to go for MD. Many times even if it is not worth 1 cent, the accomplishment, satisfaction carries and drives any one’s success. This is age (before 25), they can do and absorb any complex learning. Wait till the final list but JHU with full ride not to be dismissed.

1 Like

@GoldenRock

Thanks- She will decide her destiny. Sometimes prestigkous schools ( IVYs, Caltech etc.) are not easy to let go.

We are not too worried about gap year or major- She is bent on BME so let it be.

What can I do except watch and help her decide.

According to a 2019 survey from the Association of American Medical Colleges, 43.9 percent of students who enrolled in medical school took one to two gap years. Of the students surveyed, 13.4 percent also took three to four gap years and 7.9 percent took five or more gap years, according to the survey.

Over 20% of the kids have 3 or more gap years before being enrolled into med school. No wonder BSMD became an additional opportunity to pursue even for the kids with awesome credentials.

bump