Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Agree. @SeekingAdvice123 is overthinking this.

One has to really think twice about going to Princeton though in that list. It is grade deflated, ultra competitive and can derail oneā€™s chances of going to medicine altogether.

Have heard of kids choosing BU SMED though, in preference to Y and S, though itā€™s up to oneā€™s personal taste and choice.

How about other IVYs- HYC and Stanford/MIT- Dont think it is easy grades there either particularly MIT.

And Penn/Cornell/Brown/Dart???

Cornell is notorious. MIT is tough too.
Penn and Columbia slightly on the deflated side too. But if a student made it there without ED, legacy, sports etc. should be fine.

How indicative is BS/MD admissions of the traditional route. Iā€™ve been rejected by all of the BS/MDs that I applied to other than a few BS/DOs and an early interview MD. Does me not getting into any of these programs foreshadow that I have little to no success in future traditional med applications? I know that ā€œanythingā€ is possible, but being realistic, can this be indicative of anything since med school admissions are so tough?

No, you should do just fine. Stay the course and you will come out triumphant.

4 Likes

@alwayshappy25 - Do not hesitate and go for regular route pre-med. Apply for medical colleges and I am sure you will get into a better medical/DO college than what you have at hand now.

Early failures can lead to future success. I feel going through the BSMD admission process keeps the kids grounded/realistic. The experience is valuable even without any admission and will surely help you when you apply to medical colleges a few years from now!

5 Likes

Why do you think you didnā€™t get any BSMD? Do you want to share your stats and ECs? Self assessment is key for success.

1 Like

Hi ! long time lurker here. I just have a question that I hope isnā€™t dumb. Do medical schools have a preference for the students who are from their affiliated undergrad school or does that just happen by chance? For example, CWRU medical school has a lot of CWRU undergraduates matriculate. Thank u!

Iā€™m not too sure why.

Stats:
GPA: > 4.5
CR: 7/450+
SAT: 1420 (little low here, but could only take it once)
Residency: NJ (I really thought this would help me for the NJMS programs)

ECs:
Shadowing
Virtual Medical Internship
Mini - Med Program for 2+ years
Had research lined up (canceled for COVID)
Many music ECs
Mock Trial Attorney all four years
A few leadership roles
Government-funded (free) exchange program
Community Service activities (i.e.: teaching an extinct language)

I really felt that I had scores within the ranges listed, a good mix of medical/science and non-medical/science ECs and I presume my letters were also good. Not sure what went wrong here as I was not even forwarded from NJMS feeder schools.

Itā€™s really eating me up now. Iā€™m like completely destroyed-- Iā€™ve been eyeing BS/MD programs since like eighth grade and have worked so hard. It makes me think that no matter how much effort I put in, I may not be able to be a doctor.

IMO, Low SAT 1420 would be the reason for poor response. Your MCAT score will have no relationship with SAT score if you put enough effort. You have a good chance via regular MD or MD/PhD. A SAT 1420 is too low for any feeder school to forward. They know what is target SAT NJMS is looking for NJMS BSMD. Do not overthink any more.

2 Likes

Ah ok thanks. Yeah Iā€™m determined to be a physician so I will literally work day and night to make it happen. Just disappointed that I couldnā€™t even be offered an interview from UG schools.

2 Likes

Did you not apply to Rutgers-NB ? It is very good choice for a NJ resident for pre-med and they prefer NJ resident in regular MD( at least 80% are from NJ). NJMS and RWJ both have to prefer NJ residents in regular MD so your wish to get a NJMS MD may come true.

Score is one issue. Why do you think you got low score? What exactly are your clinical ECs? Research is valued by all the programs

1 Like

Just make sure take MCAT only once when ready.

1 Like

Yeah I did R-NB and got into their Honors College and am def considering it since it is one of the more affordable options

1 Like

I was only able to take it once (in like sophomore or junior year) so I wouldā€™ve done better. I got 5s on BC Calc and Lit and all I donā€™t think Iā€™m a horrible test-taker in those types of exams which I feel are a lot closer to the MCAT than the SAT is. Clinical ECs were close to shadowing, surgery internships, mini-med program at NJMS, etc.

Rutgers-NB is much better than TCNJ and NJIT for UG as pre-med. Which school your are considering SAS or SEBS ?

Oh yeah Iā€™m def considering it as one of the traditional pre-med pathways. It also has that Early Assurance MD with RWJ for the Honors College students. Do you (or anyone else) know any stats about that like how many people apply/get accepted to that?

Not many, may be in single digit. It is a good option to try during sophomore year. You can email to Rugerā€™s Health Advising Office for Stats.

1 Like