Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

It is usually top 15% of the class at most places for Latin Honors.

Yes compassion is required for almost all specialities.

What about diagnostic radiology ? . the field needs advanced medical technology Ai research and clinicians most do not interact with patients that much.

Like Elon musk in electric vehicles a few top medical students from schools
Like HMS have starting joining consulting and startups in medical technology pharmacy and Care management and with opportunity the trend will increase.

Research is a separate component and usually not required by most medical schools except by research oriented medical schools.

Then why there is research ranking for medical school. ?

My elder child choose UPMC to train because they use advance surgical techniques which they have developed with years if surgical research this happened because they have been fused and rankings for with funding

IMO, Ranking schools including Medical Schools, UG schools, Business Schools, is a big profitable business.

Ranking show how much research and funding

Without research funding how you can get ahead or get train in cutting edge. ???

Anyone is considering Rutgers, read online controversy about Dr. Audrey Truschke.

3 Likes

If someone has time can review match list of JHU med school for 2021

We are still not on USLME pass fail this year which may have more impact in future but still compare the match list of JHU medical school with lower ranked medical colleges for 2021 and you will find why medical school ranking matters for speciality matching. in fact in my eyes JHU is a better school than HMS in surgical speciality matching

if you are targeting general medicine or family medicine then DO and MD are same and research rankings do not matter.

It is an individual choice of residency for each MD student. What may be cutting edge for one is meaningless to others. Diagnostic radiology, general surgery may not appeal to others as a specialty. As a parent, it may not be possible to influence the residency choice of your DC. They make their own choices.

In this forum I have seen lot of parents are not exposed to medicine and they are preached that getting in any medical school is same and that is why I am trying to be more transparent.

JHU has a limited number of general surgery seats(~ 7).

There are many FMG(10 counted above) in the first year with foreign medical school degrees. The FMGs may be probably for 1-2 years duration only as per J-1 visas.

General surgery is the last resort as backup if you do not match to your speciality and you are using that as a diversion in this discussion

Look at the below surgical specialities

Nuero

CT

Plastics

ortho

ENT

OPTHO

vascular

Also below is a good ranking on surgical programs and JHU aid second but in my eyes it is better than Harvard

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/surgery

Regarding discussion about dual enrollment and courses in school - with my D, we saw that dual enrollment courses at local state university were so much easier than similar AP courses at school. With few dual she took, she got high A’s in all without much effort. With AP, she has to put a lot of effort all year along (dual courses were either a semester or summer semester) to maintain As.

Thank you.

Thank you for your response.

1 Like

As a NJMS BSMD applicant, will you consider not accepting a NJMS BSMD offer because of this controversy ? Please express your opinion one way or another.

That was my nephew, he didn’t get top programs but got couple of As and the new engineering focused one with full tuition. 3.7 seems to be the cutoff for top schools.

UCSF, Hopkins and Penn are better medical schools than Harvard (not because my S got into them :slight_smile: ) according to most doctors and faculty I know.

You can influence by talking about income potential or life style of certain specialties :rofl: