Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Thanks.

Is there a contract with conditions of acceptance, cause that is usually where they would let you know if it is binding or not.

1 Like

A group of 20-22 is a pretty good size to have many meaningful relationships for 3-7 years. Some programs may have only 4-6. There may be a healthy competition among those 20-22. Let say your D becomes a Neurosurgeon. No one will care it was Augusta U/MCG she attended.

Is it not the committee letter of recommendation given by union to all pre-meds who apply to various medical schools ? How come this is any different for Union/AMC folks.?

I heard colgate is good liberal arts. I hear different views about SLU, not sure. BU is bit expensive and also heard grade deflated if itā€™s regular UG.

1 Like

I believe they offers both 7 and 8 years programs. 7 years can be changed to 8 years if the student wants however 8 years cannot be changed to 7 years later on due to locked in curriculum - I supposeā€¦

Thanks!

1 Like

Then you have even more time. Once COVID clears, you can apply for in person research/shadowing/volunteering etcā€¦ before you apply to colleges in 2022 fall.

We donā€™t get letters of recommendation from the committee, we fill out the AMCAS but it is just a formality in case the ACGME audits AMC. So applying for one signifies that you are breaking the contract you sign when you start at Union.

B grade should not be a problem. Just enjoy rest of your school year without killing yourself to get it up to an A.

You know my answer, itā€™s SLU. Ourselves and DD had no reservation to attend SLU with VP scholarship but for the Upstate acceptance.

Other two schools are expensive for UG unless you have good need/merit aid. BU tuition itself is 56K and Colgate is even expensive close to 60K for tuition alone.

Colgate seems to be very appealing for many for whatever reasons. It was in the news for 103% increase in applications this year. I personally am not a fan of Colgate location as its 40 miles away from both Syracuse and Utica. Never been there though.

1 Like

US News medical school ranking for Research and Primary care for 2022 are out. Surprising changes in research ranking DUKE has a big jump to third spot. JHU , Upenn and Cornell got hit.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/research-rankings

Regardless of the rankings, I still see Upenn, Harvard, NYU, Hopkins, and Columbia as the top 5 med schools.

1 Like

Yes I agree but these are low on primary care rankings which may matter for very few.

1 Like

Also all five are east coast

UCLA got hit still Stanford and UCSF are at top

Will appreciate some input for making a choice between UMKC and FAU BSMD programs. Thanks

it is not binding but also does not require the MCAT so idk if I should plan to take it or if UROCHESTER school of medicine is a known top tier med school with good match rates

1 Like

What I am thinking about is if rochester is a solid med school/ known well by scientists/researchers and if I should apply out if I want to do something along the lines of surgey or internal medicine for residency. I am not too educated on the match rates even after research or how rochester does in relation to other med schools

Because looking at the rankings it ranks t20 for primary care and 36 for research but i dont know how accruate that is or if primary care is inclusive of internal medicine within the ranking

@SeekingAdvice123 - URochester REMS is a very solid program. I would be very comfortable going there from a research, clinical, and residency match standpoint. Take advantage of the research opportunities while there and I believe matching for residency will be just fine.