Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

I didnt know it is so personal like UT and Aggie.

I hear big fight between Harvard and MIT on superiority whereas folks at BC/BU/NE/Tufts having fun!!

D seems amazing, can you share her stats?

You don’t get to call anything, you go by what locals call :slight_smile:

Typically you need to take one or two courses after meeting all premed requirements to get minor in Biology or Chemistry and most do.

2 Likes

She is Valedictorian ( 1/585) with ACT 36.

Can go on and on but perhaps next most imp is two publications in prestigious journals on longevity/regenerative medicine ( work at Jackson lab) and Astrophysics/Humanties at top school.

She is casual and enjoys life and sports ( soccer, basketball etc.)

She was born in France and thus soccer is in blood- So perhaps born in France is helping in admission!!! My son ranked about 30 in same school and just made to UT. He could have played soccer at Clarkson but decided UT. He is barely surviving in brutal dept. and thought of giving up. But finally made it. He enjoys Austin much more than NE.

She got rejected by TCNJ for NJMS ( and few more BSMD Rice/Baylor etc. with no interview, got Rice UG) but seemed to have got most UG BME she applied ( think Tufts was waitlist). Caltech is waitlist also. Lets await IVY day.

6 Likes

@compengineer1 Hi my other son goes to Upenn UG and is going to apply for med school. He is at freshman right now. I see that you know someone that did UG at Upenn and went to Upenn Med school. Is there any way if they are ok with it If I can connect with them. If not is ok. Thank you!

I received a likely letter from Columbia, and I also found out yesterday that I was accepted into the Columbia-Juilliard Exchange program

7 Likes

Congratulations to everyone who has received acceptance.

If you have made a decision, can you please share your profile in the results thread.
Parent who have kids in the upcoming cycle would love to learn from it.

3 Likes

I dont know them personally and was referred to them. The couple ( Mr. was liver/kidney surgeon) gave some details but was not sure if SBU was a better way to go or Columbia. He did like free ride at SBU. Ms. was more name crazy and no discussion except IVY- Her Daughter applied ED.

I wanted her D to call my D but has not happened and perhaps will not happen. I dont know them or their D. I wanted her daughter to tell my daughter that it does not matter SBU med or Columbia. However, I got a message from mom that their D agrees Columbia ( not sure if mom made up or talked).

On another note, I had a discussion with mom of RPI/Albany ( again referred by another friend) and she was so much awed by RPI and her D that there was no discussion ( she said RPI is top school and you need 3.9 plus GPA or else kicked out and many have been kicked out!). Her D is finishing at Albany and starts residency in NJ think with Rowan ( dont know which medical school). She wouldnt allow her daughter to talk to me or my D.

Bottomline, at this stage I am exploring like you and try to talk to people on both side if possible. Havent actually talked to real person who went through BSMD or went to IVY followed by med school to hear their perspective- so sorry unable to help you with their daughter contact- even I dont have and have requested if there was a way.

Rowan/Cooper (USNW Rank 93-123) is a medical school in South Jersey. Rutgers-NJMS (USNW Rank 66) and Rutgers- RWJ (USNW Rank 70) are flagship medical schools of NJ. TCNJ/NJMS, NJIT/NJMS BSMD are popular programs in the nation.

Also this surgeon told that he knows 2 Harvard and JHU UG who had Harvard and JHU med school but went to small starting MD school in California and were more happy- Perhaps it was free ride and then Kaiser

Ya then she said Rowan and I am illiterate in MD schools where they are except top names and NY based.

both Public Health and Kinesiology are considered light majors ( in terms of rigor) compared to science majors like Biology, Neuroscience, Chemistry, BioChemistry, Applied Maths etc.

what majors should we consider in med school does this matter during the matching process?

Congrats.

Same here- D received likely email from Columbia Engg school for BME along with Egelston scholarship and something more - can not recollect.

It is UG major, medical school has no major. Most popular UG major among medical school applicants is Biological Sciences.

2 Likes

Congrats on Columbia acceptance.

Finally got Rutgers NW BA/MD acceptance email, they gave admission to 13 students, don’t know how many applied for the program though:
As one of our 13 students admitted into the program this year, you should be extremely proud of yourself! In addition to your acceptance into the program, you have been selected for the Presidential Scholarship at Rutgers University-Newark, which will cover fully in-state tuition, room and board for the three years of undergraduate coursework at Rutgers!

9 Likes

Great news! Congratulations!!! now to tough decisions lol

Thank you for the info this is helpful !

@LargeTortoise - Stony Brook University is one of the top 2 state universities of NY (the other being Binghamton University). so while it is not an IVY league school, it’s a very respectable public university if the goal is medical school. it’s medical school, if you believe that by going to the UG improves your chances of getting accepted into its medical school, is respectable as well (ranked #55 USNWR-Research). so, yes, while not the best or even T50 nationally (#88 USNWR), SBU is certainly respectable. one advantage of being in a large state public university, is that it might be easier to obtain a higher GPA (ride the curve), which improves one’s application to medical school. if one attends SBU and does not get into a US medical school, i wouldn’t necessarily blame the college/university. so if you do end up there, i think it should be approached with optimism rather than disappointment.

2 Likes