Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

It is your choice.

Yes if it was me IM would have been mine choice at DUKE with later cardiology fellowship but my child is interested in surgery

IM at Upenn is not as competitive as getting a DOPEN specialty at a no name med school. Specialty is more important than where you train. A Upenn trained IM doc makes way less than a DOPEN doc from NJMS or AMC.

After IM cardiology fellowship brings you near the speciality salary with better work life balance

Work-life balance for cards is close to that of many surgical specialties. It is even worse if you subspecialize in interventional cardiology. Electrophysiology is probably the best for work-like balance although it still is tough.

Then you have to work hard to get Dermatology

1 Like

Deleted

@RR3600 I would re-phrase your statement ‘IM at Upenn is not as competitive as getting a DOPEN specialty at a no name med school.’ And instead state ‘hospital medicine doesn’t pay as well as surgical subspecialties.’ The majority of IM trainees at academic institutions pursue subspecialties which are considerably better paying (and can still offer reasonable work-life balance depending on practice setting).

Is NEU that you like Northeastern?

Coop etc. is all non-sense and NEU tried to get its ranking high by offering a semester or 2 coop. They succeded in rising up and attracted better kids. They gave partial ride to my son and full ride to my D - they used to give full ride to NMF finalists.

Their Coop companies suck with low wage.

At better schools, you can get summer internships (and also during semesters) with higher wages and better reputation.

If you getting lots of $$ then it is ok school. Otherwise go to your state school or take BSMD. I will take Stony Brook full ride UG in NY over NEU partial ride.

I got into top LACs (Hamilton, Bates, Carleton, etc.) and also Drexel’s BS/MD out of the many that I applied to. Any thoughts on going to a ‘better’ undergrad institution such as a LAC which have 90%+ match rates into medical school vs a lower-ranked program such as Drexel? Cost is also not a factor.

What do you think about Hematology/Oncology fellowship after IM residency ? Compare it to a Cardio fellowship.

I agree academic medicine is different from clinical procedure code payments which are same for all provider which payers pay across the board.

Name brand is important in-academic medicine as there the research money is and top notched live and innovation takes place

In what sense? Heme/onc is a great field. Lots of research and it’s rapidly evolving which is exciting. Does not have the procedures that cariology/GI/pulmonary/crtical care specialties do, which make those fields more appealing to some

For work-life balance, income and clinical research possibilities.

Heme/onc is great for all of those. It’s predominantly an outpatient specialty (besides stem cell transplant) so hours are generally good. Income is below more procedural specialties such as interventional cardiology, gastroenterology but still very good, especially for the hours worked (varies significantly based on practice setting). Clinical research possibilities are abundant.

1 Like

D is doing research.

What is your opinion on cardio surgery integrated vs nuerosurgery integrated program’s ?

@grtd2010 I’m biased since i’m pursuing heme/onc :slight_smile: but I think that’s an excellent choice

@sam2024 I would be lying if I said I could give you a credible opinion about those two fields. Quite different

1 Like

what bs md programs would feed into “elite medical schools”?

Hi,
I got into Union/AMC with 20k scholarship,UMKC (no scholarship) and Drexel BS/MD with 20k Scholarship. These are the 3 BS/MD programs I got into with various applications.
I got full tuition at Temple UG and average scholarship’s in other UG’s.

Between AMC and Drexel - which one is better ? both are 8 year programs.
Is it worth going with either one of them (over 550k tuition) or go with Temple UG and apply out to medical school after UG?
My parents will help me with tuition in UG but not sure on Medical school (they said they will try their best to help).

Can we request Union or Drexel for more scholarship ?

Between Drexel and Union/AMC - I am leaning towards Union/AMC .

Please suggest me.

TIA