Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

These are what if scenarios and can be modeled on a excel spreadsheet. What are realistic probabilities associated with the what if scenarios are unknown. What specialty one prefers is probably not know until one does clinical rotations. There are so many unknown variables in the whole medical journey to model it properly in a spreadsheet.

Also to add, another acquaintanceā€™s son

JHU ā†’ JHU med school without gap year, not recent though, probably 6 years back.

---- deleted

Most Biomedical Science departments are populated with PhDs, not many MD or MD/PhDs. It is very important not to go by medical school research ranking, rather concentrate on the research being done at a particular school and find out more about what interests one.

Think I posted it before with no answer.

Since lots of smart people here.

A good surgeon told me that ACT/SAT scores correlate well with MCAT as thinking is similar meaning folks who ace ACT will get good scores. Think it is definitely true for GRE as I know tonnes of folks who ace SAT or similar exams easily max out GRE and some effortlessly.

Dont know much about MCAT - is the above true? Obviously, other variables also but if someone aces ACT/SAT, do they usually do very well in MCAT.

There are research studies which correlate MCAT performance with USMLE-1 scores. This is one of the reason MCAT score is a benchmark used by most medical schools (along with UG GPA) to pre-screen applicants. Not seen any studies correlating SAT/ACT to MCAT. MCAT is a different examination ( more than 7.5 hrs long ) as it is an application oriented test.

step 1 is pass fail and may not have same importance starting 2022

Are there any studies done of USMLE step 2 to MCAT performance ?

As some programs do not require MCAT do you see it as disadvantage ?

We know fellowship candidates who sacrificed a year with loan compounding but it pays in the end. It is right investment upfront. But the point is how you get into those programs

1 Like

Here is some study which used SAT score along with other variables and found the following -

ā€œNext the relationship between two standardized examination metrics, the SAT and MCAT, was examined. Subscore analysis between the SAT and MCAT for students who took the SAT (N = 49; 74%) are displayed in Table 2. Forty-four (N = 44; 67%) students had an additional SAT Writing subscore as part of their SAT. The SAT Total score used (N = 49) included only the SAT Verbal and SAT Math subscores added together. For those who had the SAT Writing subscore, it was not included in the SAT Total calculation (N = 44). A moderate positive correlation was found between SAT Total and MCAT Total score (0.45) and MCAT CARS (0.52). Additionally, a moderate correlation was found between SAT Verbal and MCAT CARS (0.60), which is not unexpected given that both of these subscores focus on reading comprehension. Analysis of other metrics yielded only weak or no correlations between MCAT Total or subscores and SAT Total or Math, Verbal or Writing subscores of SAT (Table 2).ā€

3 Likes

So the SAT is not really indicative of the MCAT, interesting :thinking:

Itā€™s been decades since I took either but a naturally bright but lazy high school student could do well on an SAT or ACT whereas thereā€™s no ā€œfaking itā€ for the MCAT.

4 Likes

@NoviceDad my D got 3 bsmds so far and waiting for plme and casewestern .

FAU > with free UG and accommodation

Wash Jeff > with 25k year by including accommodation

UMKC >donā€™t know about fee yet, still waiting for merit scholarship

What do you suggest?

How is Albany Medical College as a med school? Right now I have to decide between Yale (accepted REA) and the RPI/AMC program.

Given how competitive med school applications are getting, should I choose the BS/MD over an ivy? Does the UG experience really matter that much?

If I went to Yale and did a traditional med path, Iā€™m worried that I wouldnā€™t be accepted anywhere my first cycle. For context, I know an individual who went to Yale UG who had 3.95+ GPA, 525 MCAT, and good medical ECs+essays who only got into UCONN med after getting interviews at many top med schools. They were an ORM and did not take a gap year.

Given that I too am an ORM (asian), should I take the safety of the guaranteed program and forgo Yale? Med school apps will only be getting harderā€¦

Any insight would be appreciated.

@magicstick5
AMC is low tier medical school so I would always caution individuals to consider this as it may potentially limit residency options down the road (makes it more difficult to match at top academic programs and may not have the resources/research availability in certain specialties).

If Yale and RPI/AMC were my options, I would personally probably go with Yale (not considering cost). While getting into medical school is no garuntee with the traditional path, you would be in a great environment to set you up for success and aim higher.

For context, you donā€™t have 3.95+ GPA, 525 MCAT, good ECs+essays, still AMC believes in you, very remarkable.

I would say if medicine as your career path is top priority and you got decent price break, like ~30k/year from RPI for undergrad, go for it. RPI is a solid undergrad and will prepare you well for med school anywhere (not necessarily AMC) and you will be part of their physician scientist program and all the benefits that come with it from day one.

If for some reason you donā€™t feel like that is the right program for you later, prepare for MCAT well, ace it after sophomore year, graduate in 3 years, take a gap year and try other med schools full fledged.

There were couple of students in last cycle who chose the program over Duke and similar undergrads.

If you are still open for other professions in case there is change of mind about medicine, and finances not a concern (assuming you are not getting any need based awards), then you should go with Yale.

1 Like

What is the issue ? Not sure about being a MD or not able to let go Ivy brand name. There are risks with going to Yale. Can you take that risk and be happy ? If you are sure about MD and risk-averse, RPI/AMC will satisfy your needs. On other hand, Yale may be worth taking the risk. You have to find the answer yourself.

1 Like

Itā€™s a little of both I guess (haha). I have read numerous times in this thread of the importance of the ā€œUG experience,ā€ and the amount of opportunity it unlocks going to an Ivy. Iā€™m not sure how this applies to the medical field however.

I am certain that I want to be a doctor in the future, so I think @rk2017 's advice resonates with me. Now I just have to wait for RPI to send my aid report (haha).

I absolutely donā€™t want to be in a limbo of applying multiple cycles after I graduate if I do go to Yale. I would much rather have the peace of mind of knowing Iā€™ll definitely be going to med school.

I think Iā€™ll go with RPI/AMC then. The security and clear path far outweigh the supposed benefits of an Ivy imo. And from what Iā€™ve read on SDN and Reddit, RPI is a fine school for UG so itā€™s not like Iā€™d be majorly downgrading.

3 Likes

Do you have any success stories?

1 Like

I know one- UPENN UG ED and UPENN MED also full ride to UMich Med.