Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@bsmdseeker2019 …yes I know I also checked the portal when my friend called…there was no update on portal, but he told me he did receive an email today form GW inviting for an interview on Feb 11th.

@sajju786 - Yes you are right about the why medicine essay for GW…my bad.

for tulane bsmd do you have to be from louisiana or not?

@123wz321…I don’t think you need to be from Louisiana to apply for Univ of Tulane…

@123wz321, @sajju786,

Tulane is a private institution. So no state preference per se.

As of last year, believe it was only for students who matriculate into the undergrad there first. They had 5 or so slots to be selected from the freshmen already enrolled there. Not sure if anything changed this year onwards.

@rk2017 …yes you are right reg Tulane Univ

https://medicine.tulane.edu/admissions/special-programs

For folks tracking BS/DO, Nova interview invites are out.

Does anyone know when interviews for the REMS program comes?

Hey guys - I’ve been a lurker on this forum but I’ve never really gotten around to posting.

I recently completed two interviews at TCNJ/NJMS and Drew/NJMS. I feel they went well! I’m really looking forward to the next steps from here. I loved TCNJ’s campus. However, I haven’t heard back from any others yet (other than being able to apply to Pitt’s 8-year). I was reading from some user here that GW’s program sent out invites. If so, who got one in this forum?

@egypt123

Their website says:
You will be notified of your finalist/non-finalist status in January.
If you’re a finalist, you must interview with the School of Medicine and Dentistry.
Interviews will take place in March.
You must be invited to interview via finalist notification in January.
Your final REMS decision will be sent in April.

Thank you so much!

Does anyone know if taking Psychology as a major affects preference for MD or DO programs? Or is biology better?

Also, what is the process for the University of Pittsburgh? Do you have to get into honors before BS/MD, is there an interview offered in January?

I applied as a chemistry major, not just for the BS/MD route but also for the undergrads I applied to. I don’t think a psych major would have any particular advantage compared to bio/chem considering the extremely competitive nature of MD and DO programs in general. Just study whatever you would like best. @101study101

Also, for Pitt, you’re sent an application by the Medical school which you have to complete and send back within 1 month of receiving the email. The honors and financial aid notifications will all come out in Feb and later I believe. I recently received notification of an 80k scholarship to Pitt in the mail today, though.

@101study101 Here is AAMC data by major for medical school applicants. Biological Sciences is the most popular and Math & statistics the least popular. You can major in any thing as long as you meet the pre-requisites for the specific medical school.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321496/data/factstablea17.pdf

@mk1901 Which NJ county Health Academy you attend ?

I’m quite certain. If you’ve already applied, then leave it of course, but don’t expect much.

@mk1901, My daughter applied for TCNJ/NJMS and we haven’t heard from TCNJ yet, not even rejection. I checked on the portal status still not updated. Good luck with your interviews.

@Jaswant Same here, no updates from TCNJ/NJMS yet

Has anyone received interview notification for February dates from Union/AMC and BU?