Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Does getting a presidential scholarship interview at SLU have anything to do with the medical scholars program? And didn’t upitt already send out supplementals for GAP, so it does not really matter if accepted to the honors program?

@pun2018 being a med scholar if you get presidential scholarship , basically your UG full tuition is free for all 4 years and that is a great benefit along with medical school seat, otherwise prepare for UG tuition as a med scholar.

Isn’t slu an early assurance program and not a traditional BSMD program?

NJIT - I emailed and they are sending another round of interview requests out by January 15th or few days thereafter. It is the last batch.

Senior members can you please tell if the applicants receive any major scholarships finalist status at this time frame should we let the admission people know about it or it doesn’t have any importance at interview stage as the decisions are already made.Sorry for asking a naive question :slight_smile:

@sunitacarmen you are right, SLU is EAP, not a traditional BS/MD. Quite sometimes catch with BS/MD program is they want full tuition for UG (like UMKC). If you get EAP with full tuition free, it is worth to explore along with other options you may have at end.
Last year, if my son was selected for presidential scholarship, SLU was definitely on our list. We had good feedback from current med scholar+pres scholar beneficiary who are just a year senior to my son from same high school.

SLU gave me a Vice President’s Scholarship without anything except initial application submission – is it only the Presidential that needs the interview?

Was the initial NJIT interview for honors college or medical school?

Does anyone know the format for BU’s interview day? Any advice or recommendation for questions to expect? @GoldenStateDad @NoviceDad I figured you both may know something/have something to contribute :slight_smile:

@medgirl6

We did not get an interview with BU.

This is dated but was written by@breather746 in 2014:

BU:
For BU they make you do two interviews, one with undergrad professor and one with a doctor. The undergrad professor one is more like a typical college interview. So they asked why interested in BU (talk about wealth of research opportunities, intellectual area, etc.). Guy asked about a challenge I overcame and about issues that I felt existed in the emergency room. He ultimately recommended that the triage process in emergency rooms should be better and that there should be more urgent care centers established for less severe injuries/ailments. Also be prepared to describe again why you want to be a physician. It was honestly the tougher of the two. The doctor was really chill, more informal and he asked why medicine, why program, etc. and discussed my medical experiences (to clarify I mead shadowing, research, EMT and hospital volunteering). Got lucky with the physician since he was really nice. After the interview, you grab lunch with a current student and they talk about their experiences.

Has anyone applied and heard back from NYIT’s BS/DO Program? Is anyone familiar with this program (I would appreciate your insight about this program)?

Yes, I know of NYIT’s program. They are affiliated with NYITCOM and you can go through the program from NYIT or Old Westbury. The long island campus is one level and has smaller class sizes making it more student-oriented. Are you from the NY area or have visited @behappy101 ?

Also, does anyone know the benefit of applying to Stony Brook bs/md? They still require the mcat and their program is 8 years. Any experience or insight would be appreciated!

@101study101 No, I am not from the NY area and have not visited NYIT yet. I have submitted my application for their program, but I can’t find a lot of info regarding their direct program (like the acceptance rate and other statistics).

@101study101
I have written about Stonybrook in my earlier posts. Search the thread for Stonybrook.

for the leadership in medicine program with amc, how many people were chosen for an interview and how many people are typically selected?

How do med schools select finalists from the pool of semi-finalists after interview? Do they still maintain diversity (sex, race, geographical location…) or all candidates are on a level playing field?

@101study101 NJIT interview was for the 7 year accelerated program, some of the selected candidates will be sent to NJMS for next round of interviews.

@bsmdseeker2019 Good question, it is anybody’s guess. My guess is they do maintain some level of diversity.

@Cherax, Yes, Only SLU presidential scholarship require interview, not the vice-presidential scholarship (which is automatic)