Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

got UMKC interiew OOS. How many people do they usually call from OOS?

Well they accept 10 OOS so probably around 30 interviews.

Good luck everyone with your interviews. Just be relaxed and enjoy the moment. Most importantly, thank your parents, family, teachers, and others who helped you to be what you are today. Thank God for all the blessing.

For interviews, there is no point in asking for help on this forum as the schools are looking for your soft skills and maturity. They are not going to test your knowledge or put you in a difficult situation. As long as you can articulate what you wrote on essays, you will be fine (Phone or in-person), So, do not waste time asking for interview help/tips. Instead, spend the time asking your parents/family to do mock interviews or spend time in front of the mirror trying to answer/respond to the possible interview questions based on what you wrote (essays, ECsā€™ etc) No one will tell you this but itā€™s the truth.

For those who are still waiting for an interview, itā€™s a long road and do not lose hopeā€¦when one door closes, another one opens. So, be positive. all you need is one Yes.

One last suggestionā€¦at this time, after all the apps/supplementals are submitted, the less time you spend on this forum the better it is. Just ask one of your family members or friends to track this forum for updates on college announcements/schedule/updates if possible.

Come back to this forum once you have offers to discuss the pros and cons of various schools if you have multiple offers.

Good luck everyone. You are all awesome and deserve the best!!

@grtd2010, Correct I got rejection from TCNJ and did not get any feedback or telephone interview feedback from Rutgers. Now I am thinking definitely feeder school for me is NJIT. Thank you all for your wishes and guidance on this forum. Greatly appreciate it.

@Jaswant,

Congratulations on the interview through NJIT/NJMS. I think NJIT is the most generous among the feeder schools for undergrad awards/scholarships/aid. Also you have direct access to the NJMS within walking distance (same as with Rutgers Newark), though the campus may not be all that great (according to some).

@GoldenStateDad,

Regarding the interviews, students may be asked questions extrapolating from what they have observed or learned from their ECs such as volunteering or shadowing or research. As examples, some one with extensive hospital volunteering may be asked what improvements they think can possibly be made in the settings where they had worked or what changes in treatment procedures he/she may try to bring about in their own practice when they become physicians.
No right or wrong universally applicable answers, the idea is not only to get some fresh perspective from the new generation but also to assess their line of thinking, such as how much all that exposure has made them concerned about patientsā€™ benefit and the social angle.

Hi everyone,

My DD got an interview for UMKC and we are out of state. In researching the program, I came across a thread from 2017 about the program with participation from UMKC students and parents of students in the program. It is worth reading, but now causing confusion. I am curious as to what others thinkā€¦

Here is the URL:
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/10493-umkc-6-year-bs-md-program-p401.html

Specifically, Post #6000, 6008, 6011, 6014 on page 400-401. @zuchinicakes ā€“ what did you decide to do?

Also, Post #6018 on page 401 for a response from a student. @Roentgen ā€“ any more light that you can shed on this?

Any response from current UMKC BA/MD students would be appreciated.

Thanks!

@rk2017

Agree, one can expect questions around the ECs, research and other aspects of their app. Thatā€™s what I said too and part of maturity and well rounded personality equation that schools are looking for.
It is okay to say ā€˜I do not knowā€™ to a question as long as one knows how to say it effectively. Of course, one cannot say that when asked about what he/she wrote in the app ?

@rose2019 Your concern is valid, but at this point more important is to attend UMKC interview with a peaceful mind and when you get acceptance(s), then decide and choose the best.

Does anybody know how many receive the Hofstra supplement and how many of those receive interviews?

@Cherax
I believe last year they had called ~100 for interviews in batches of ~20-25

Has anyone received an interview request for Rochesterā€™s REMS Program? If not, does anyone know when they will come out? I remember reading somewhere that it comes out January, havenā€™t heard anything yet though.

Is a SAT score of 1530 one-sitting (790 M 740 E) good enough to be competitive for BS/MD programs?
I have a 1550 superscore (790 M 760 E) but I heard that most programs only take one-sittingā€¦

@BuddyH thatā€™s plenty good for standardized testing. I have a lower score than you do and I have received multiple interview requests. Focus on your ECā€™s

@glossylamp What a relief. I heard from some other people on this thread that you need a 1550+ to have a decent shot

@BuddyH
If you happen to be from ORM background, you may want to consider raising it, time permitting and if there still a chance.

^^^ agreed. On the interview trail, all my fellow Indian and Chinese applicants had at least a 34+ ACT or 1550+ SAT besides maybe one or two kids.

34 is equivalent to a 1490-1520 though so Iā€™d say 1530 is just fine. I have a 1530 and I have gotten an interview.

@glossylamp What are your stats/where have you heard from?

@BuddyH Taking SAT is not going to make your application stand out (already you have taken twice). If time permits take ACT. Since some students are very good at ACT. If you prefer not to take ACT, that is also fine. Put your time for ECs and really validate you want to have a career in medicine. GPA and Test scores alone is not going to get BS/MD.

@Cherax

ORM, Texas (very represented)

35 ACT 1510 SAT

Baylor 2 rejected
Penn state rejected
UMKC interiew
TCNJ phone interview
VCU interview
BU interview
RPI interview

donā€™t know other schools