Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Are the UMKC interview invite proportional to acceptances (IS, regional and OOS %)?

Well yes, obviously.

Ok good. OOS interview so still some hope even with low numbers.

@tam8000
Interview notifications are sent to approximately ā€œ4 times of number of seatsā€ candidates. 50% acceptances are sent and out of that about 50% enroll. So for UMKC my guess is about 40-60 OOS

Update from Union/AMC. My D submitted supplements on 12/18. She was kept in Hold category.

Any chance of interview for Hold category?

"Your application to the Union College-Albany Medical College
Leadership in Medicine combined degree program has been placed in
the ā€œHoldā€ category.

As we review applications, we inevitably find that the number of
qualified applications exceeds the number of applicants that we are
able to interview. Screening is done on an ongoing basis as
applications become complete. Therefore, in some cases a final
screening decision is temporarily deferred until March. If over the
course of the combined degree admissions season we find that too few
candidates were initially invited to interview, we will turn to the
ā€œHoldā€ category and invite selected applicants to interview."

Absolutely no communication from Drexel / GW/ and BU.

@DSOF20192023
Looks like they have a wait list for interview slots. I have not heard yet for Union/AMC interview. AMC sends out acceptances on rolling basis, so March interview may depend on how many acceptances they send out in Feb.

UMKC Correction on my part.
Once UMKC schedules interview, the acceptance rate is ~33% across the board. the difference is in Quota allocation for each bucket.
Accordingly, simple breakdown is like,
Acceptance rate: Instate ~33%, Regional ~33%, OOS ~33%
Quota: Instate ~55%, Regional ~30%, OOS ~15%.
Total invites are ~350 and final class size is ~115 (~33% of 350)
Based on quota allocation, invites should be break down to Instate ~200, Regional ~100, OOS ~50 (~350).
Based on acceptance rate, it will translate actual selection as Instate ~60, regional ~35, OOS ~15 (~115).

Thanks @PPofEngrDr =D>

Thank you!! @PPofEngrDr

@PPofEngrDr,

Out of curiosity, what is the likely yield for this program, i.e. the % age of those accepted who actually end up enrolling?
Of the 15 oos candidates, majority may not join because of sky high fee structure, right? Do they have a wait list? If the final class size is ~ 115, shouldnā€™t they extend offers to ~200 or more?

@rk2017 ā€¦yes they do have wait-list also UMKC does not have any scholarship for the 6yrs BSMD Programā€¦ and total cost I calculated for 6yrs Tuition + Room and Board is coming around $365K for regional candidates it even more for OOS candidatesā€¦ 8-|

@rk2017 listed number is actual enrolled students (for OOS it is 10~15 so it is not a definite number and due to nature of admission acceptance, it varies from year to year). Not sure about exact yield rate from accepted students, but it has to be very high as donā€™t see that many success stories off wait listed students. For OOS students, agree cost is big factor and certain that students who accepted enrollment that is most likely not an issueā€¦ :slight_smile:

Do they allow you to become state resident after 1-2 years or you stay OOS status tuition wise whole 6 years?

@tam8000, you need to call and speak with admissionsā€¦last time I had called and they told me that I will be considered OOS for the 6 yrsā€¦donā€™t know if that has changedā€¦

@sajju786 IMHO, UMKC is NOT worth the price of Regional and OOS candidates. You should seriously consider other options including regular UG route. 95% of students enter medical school via regular route.

@sajju786 Did you visit Rutgers-Newark and nearby NJIT campuses ? Drew is a much better location and nicer than those two.

@zsxBSMD2019 If you are selected for NJMS, you can enroll in any feeder school you are accepted. If TCNJ rejected someone for NJMS but admitted to UG and he/she were to be accepted to NJMS say from DREW quota, he/she can enroll in TCNJ UG and matriculate to NJMS. Always confirm with both your school and NJMS if this is acceptable. This is what I heard.

@grtd2010ā€¦yes UMKC we have got an interview but cost will be a factor in deciding going thereā€¦I did visit Rutgers Newarkā€¦I guess you cannot change the feeder school would have to go with school which forwarded your application to NJMSā€¦could you explain this if suppose NJIT did not forward my application but Rutgers did and suppose I get selected to NJMS I can go for undergrad in NJIT instead of Rutgers???

@sajju786 Did you apply to NJIT and have been accepted ? If yes, then you can probably enroll in NJIT. But you should always confirm this with NJMS and NJIT.

1 Like