Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Got rejection from REMS. Good Luck everyone.

So basically a physician has gazillion avenues to make money, unlike non-medical fields.
It is so strange, insurance model, an administrative function, shouldn’t dictate quality of service to a consumer. Personally thinks Dr profession is not just about money (Dr will make ample) rather humanity and social service that you are gifted with and that is what I tell my son.

@PPofEngrDr - Yeah, Dr profession is not about making money but when you spend over half million and 110 years more than a dotcom guy, it’s not easy to ignore money part and say they make ample :slight_smile: doctors are getting squeezed out more with more and more people using government programs and government keep cutting payments to doctors. Hospitals have bigger lobby and they also claim they are loosing lot of money treating uninsured

@srk2017 system is off balance, where purpose of insurance companies are tied to profit only (nothing wrong to have profit), but at the same time in last 20 years, only insurance companies become fat and consumer/patient care is going downhill, that need to change and in that sense it is off balance. Uninsured are byproduct symptoms not cause. Why on earth healthcare 17% GDP creating an environment where none of players are satisfied.

Interestingly, Usnews ranks Rochester at #32 (tie with UAB and few others). I see some placing Rochester in Tier 1 (along with NU, RB). All the information seems to be so subjective and looks like there is no easy way to figure out the best schools. I wish there was a clear criterion for ranking the schools.

@GoldenStateDad - Don’t go by pure ranking. US News has separate rankings for Primary care and research. Rochester has very good match list. Only -ve thing with Rochester is it’s a cold place and no social scene. Looks like all study school and that shows in their match list :slight_smile:

@GoldenStateDad
Congratulations!

Look at medical school residency match list to get sense of its quality.
Also, look in bands - group of about 40 schools at a time. Top 40, middle 40 and rest.

Folks

Check out my blog on BS/MD interviews- summarizes a number of comments I have made on this forum plus more:

https://www.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/bs-md-interviews-yours-to-lose

I am writing another blog on BS/MD cost building on earlier post #1759. Stay tuned.

Did CASE already interview?

what do people think of the RPI - AMC program? According to the website, students can do a 10 year BS/MD/PhD program?

Similarly, NJMS has quite a low primary care ranking – but their specialties and match list are both amazing.

Who is attending the SBU/GW interview this Saturday?

FYI: no state preference. New program. SUNY Syracuse Upstate Medical College has new BSMD, no MCAT with SUNY Purchase (10) and SUNY Albany (10) and Bard College (4). We interviewed MMI this week. 4+4. We were told that they have 10 spots for SUNY Purchase, and only had 10 apply, and they are expecting to receive a few more over from Purchase. So I imagine that one may call Purchase and see if you can still apply . You major needs to be FINE ARTs (however Upstate said they do NOT care what your undergrad major is). I know the contact person for Purchase program is Kaitlyn Ried (sp?). They also stated they have 12 other feeder schools in the works in legal department. Their goal is to have 60 students in each cohort from the feeder schools, must keep 3.5 GPA. They said they may take MORE than the 10 this year, as it is first year of program, if they are pleased w interviews. I would advise if interested to contact Purchase and Ms. Reid (Albany is full) and I don’t know about BARD. There is another interview weekend end of March that has many openings. Upstate had a program in the past that was Rural Primary Care, and they severed all of them. This new program has no restrictions. They have 1-2 weeks of on campus or online modules for students to do in summers. I don’t know much about the ranking of program - it was a safety for us.

We are. :slight_smile:

How are you preparing?

Also rejected from REMS. haven’t heard from GW or BU either (prob didn’t get interview). Congrats to those who are advancing in the application process!

@zsxBSMD2019
Dont worry about rejections you will sure land where you are supposed to be.

@GoldenStateDad,

Congratulations on yet another interview.

If you have to depend on ratings or rankings in your decision making, to repeat myself from the past, better not depend on a single source or method but rather through multiple to get a fair sense.
Especially not to depend on the one with flawed methodology and glaring anomalies. If you go through patiently both their research and primary rankings and cross check with other outfits’ opinions, you will know what I mean. I don’t want to delve more repeating myself, but you can go through the previous posts in this thread or search.

In case you missed, I shared an internationally reputed agency’s website yesterday. Times higher is another reputed one. Some may advocate using match lists, but I am not a fan of that method, since I believe med profession, education and experience is more holistic than just getting into some money making specializations and using that as a measure to rank an institution.

Surprising to see just one interview notification for REMS program among current active members on CC

REMS is very unpredictable. In the past i heard they value service more.