Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@sajju786,

If you checked the BU Common data set I shared earlier, about 5-6% of the overall student body get merit based awards. Almost all the SMED students can easily be accommodated under those awards given their outstanding credentials. However they don’t allow that to happen on purpose to be fair to other schools and programs in the system. I suspect about 10-15% of the SMED folks get some kind of price break.

The number of Trustee scholarships which cover complete tuition for undergrad (and probably some allowance too towards Room and Boarding) is 20 across the university. It is very rare that more than 1 SMED is given that, though theoretically possible.

They are generous with need based awards and work study arrangements.

Thanks…@rk2017…agree with you reg BU Scholarships…

@bsmdseeker2019

From Drexel’s website (https://drexel.edu/undergrad/apply/freshmen-instructions/accelerated/)
“Late January – Applicants will be notified by email regarding whether or not they will be invited for an interview.”

It is almost end of January. I haven’t seen anyone post any Drexel invitations/rejections. Called Drexel but the person for BSMD admissions is on vacation.

Got NJMS interview notification today…

[QUOTE=""]

Basically Boston is a big college city with many great universities and minds in one place.

[/QUOTE]

@sajju786, @Cherax,

I concur. One very eye catching thing about BU is how strong their engineering school is, especially folks of Bio Medical, that work closely with the school of medicine faculty. Check out when you get a chance. Also 3 members of Electrical and Computer Eng. faculty got elected to the highly coveted fellowships of IEEE a month ago.

@bamd Through which feeder school did you get NJMS interview?

Is it through NJIT?

Drexel:
Last year we got interview invite on Feb 11.

@NoviceDad Does Drexel have instate or regional preference? Do they interview in mid to late March then?

@NoviceDad…Drexel on its webpage says not a guaranteed program and it is now 8yrs…so why could my S not go to a regular univ and give MCAT and go to medical school instead of Drexel…Any input would be appreciated

Need 3.6GPA and 511 on MCAT

Please note that due to the new version of the MCAT introduced in 2015, the College of Medicine reserves the right to revise the above requirements. ““Acceptance into the College of Medicine is not guaranteed””"

https://drexel.edu/undergrad/apply/freshmen-instructions/accelerated/

It is low on our list to go and if we get interview too might skip it…

@sajju786,

Drexel’s program lost the charm after they made the changes last year and is now 8 years long. I think they say not guaranteed since their bar on MCAT is rather high (87% ile, with a set minimum in each section, with no more than 3 attempts). Compare it with the neighboring Penn State/Jeff where the requirement is 20% ile points lower.
I have heard of students there not being able to achieve that in their 1st attempts, especially the minimum in each even as they crossed the overall composite percentile.

However may be worth considering if that is the only one BS/MD program at hand and if they give some price break for undergrad, which I believe they usually do. Location (Philadelphia) is a plus too.

Drexel just called back and said that they will send out interview notifications by Jan 31st or Feb 1st the latest.

Wonder what prompted Drexel to set their MCAT bar so high?

Thanks…@rk2017

yes. The Drexel program doesn’t make any sense. I know 2 kids who had to drop out as they could not get the required score in each individual subsection. The kids were able to get into even better medical schools applying separately.
I don’t see the value in this program.

When does WashU release med scholars information?

@rk2017 BU BS/MD application is not considered for BS if we are not selected for BS/MD program. Is it worth considering BS only in BU? When called, they said we can ask our application to be moved to UG.

I know cost wise it is higher but are there any benefit of pursuing UG in BU,

Got the notification from NJMS, application forwarded through NJIT @bsmdchat20 and @atlbsmd

@DSOF20192023 BU is known for grade deflation.

Hey everyone, a while ago I received an interview for a few BS/MD programs, including the new one at Purchase along with RPI/AMC. I have also recently received an interview at the University of Missouri - Kansas City. I know no one can really comment on Purchase, but for those who did get into RPI/AMC or UMKC, what was the program and experience like?

@bamd Thank you very much and good luck with your interview. Do you have the dates yet?