Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@DSOF20192023,

Is it confirmed that you are not in the running for BS/MD anymore? Are you sure they won’t consider for undergrad if denied for BS/MD? I think @GoldenRock stated to the contrary a while ago.
If so, following are the pros(mostly) and cons to be considered.

As others pointed out BU undergrad and location are great. However it is rigorous and grade deflated. However if the student is coming from a rigorous background like TJHSST or Stuyvesant, magnet schools and such, it shouldn’t be an issue to maintain close to 4.0 GPA. It is perhaps easier to do so than at even in some tough state schools like Rutgers, Virginia, UCLA and UCB.

For regular undergrad, chances of getting a merit award usually goes up considerably, since you will likely be the cream of the crop of the CAS or Engineering school applicants. You need to check if any deadlines for scholarships though, whether this move will satisfy those dates. However without a price break, I wouldn’t recommend unless finances are not an issue for you.

Chances of going to BU SOM medicine in traditional route significantly increases for a BU student who does well as compared to general applicants. Also I met a parent whose daughter was selected for some modular medical program or something in sophomore year of traditional under grad in Biology I believe. That would assure her a seat in medical school once the undergrad is completed (still need to take MCAT with a 80% ile score requirement and it is not accelerated).

The medical ECs opportunities in Boston are amazing, not only at BU but a number of other famed institutions of education, research and private enterprises in Bio Tech as pointed out earlier.

Unlike the BS/MD program you get credit for a number of AP level courses, effectively shrinking your duration potentially by up to 1 year. However students still typically take 4 years, spending the time saved on medical ECs or getting a double major etc.

By the way I do know from D’s friends and acquaintances who chose BU traditional undergrad in areas like Neuroscience, physiology etc. over state schools.

Does Drexel lean more towards in-state applicants ?

BU is a great school for premed undergrad. You can literally walk over from their campus to Harvard Medical to do research in the school year

@rk2017

Do you mean to say that BU SMED does not allow AP credit transfers from HS? Usually, students save ~6 months or so (in a 3 year UG) with these transfers that they can use for research, study abroad etc.

@8thgradekid - You can get research experience at lot of other schools. If you are spending too much time to maintain grades then you won’t have time for research. Also, I am not sure how many can walk over to Harvard and find research opportunities

@GoldenStateDad,

No AP credits allowed in the mandatory, Physics, Chemistry and Biology coursework (irrespective of AP and subject test scores). Only allowed for Math, Stat and CS courses. Also if you are planning on minoring or double majoring in economics (liberal arts mandate) AP Micro and Macro Econ may count. AP in Foreign language may count.

For D only Math and Stat counted (she didn’t want to do Econ inspite of having both APs).

As such they are accelerating by 1 year, so even these transfers don’t help too much.

@rk2017

Thank you.

@atlbsmd
Drexel interviews are 1st-2nd week of March

Is anyone going for SLU presidential scholarship interview? If so is it worth the travel? How is the location/program? any insight is appreciated!!!

@Cherax…below is what was emailed to me by the Admin

Students will hear in late February regarding University Scholars Program in Medicine. If you are chosen as a finalist, you will come to campus for Finalist Weekend at the end of March. USP-M recipients finds out if they have been chosen after that weekend!

@sajju786 @rk2017 @bsmddad72 @CaDad2019

DREXEL

Yes, Drexel changed its program last year to make it 4+4 program.

It s now called “EARLY ASSURANCE” program.
You ARE ASSURED a seat in the medical school IF you meet their undergrad requirements. We had asked this question last year and they had confirmed it. You have a seat at the medical school which you forfeit if you apply outside.

PLEASE NOTE there are NO additional medical school interviews at the end of undergrad.
So, the admissions process is a little different for the BS/MD program.

Also, an interesting aspect of Drexel’s undergrad is their CO-OP program - I believe you have to do 1 semester of CO-OP.

Reason for MCAT score of 513: Drexel medical school matriculating class has a minimum MCAT of ~512-513.
They want to ensure BS/MD students meet that minimum.

While everyone has to make their individual choices, I do NOT recommend skipping medical school interviews if invited for one.

Hope this helps.

DREXEL

Drexel is a private institution - NO preference for in-state or out-of-state.

BS/MD versus regular undergrad

Key risks of regular undergrad:

1. Student does NOT want to do medicine but has chosen a major with limited career prospects.
  2. Student was working hard to maintain grades and finds the resume is weak and has to take a drop year.
  3. Student (despite having great grades, MCAT and resume) has to choose his/her “safety” school

Drexel’s honor program app is due Feb 1st. Wondering is it worth taking on the additional load of Honors, in addition to the tall demands of the BSMD track (MCAT > 511, community hours, coop, etc).

GWU/GWU decisions are out.
Rejected.

Got Rejection from GWU.

@101study101 SLU presidential scholarship is all about one’s financial need. When options become limited by the time everything said and done, 4 year free UG tuition may come very handy especially one also has med scholar admission.

@NoviceDad - Some private schools give state preference, UMKC is the example.

@bsmdseekerskg
As far as I am aware, DREXEL has no in-state or out-of-state preference.

@PPofEngDr, I heard that SLU invites approx 500 students for 30 presidential scholarships. Those who are attending the interviews by spending lot of money for flights, please review the chances. Again free ride with UG and chance for med school is great option if you are lucky.