Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Thanks…@ekballerbsmd2019…Best of luck for your interviews too…

@ekballarbsmd2019, congratulations, first acceptance for this year.

@ekballerbsmd2019 Congratulations!! What other programs did you apply for/still waiting for?

Congrats @ekballerbsmd2019 !!

Did any get Northwestern interview notification yet ?

@ekballerbsmd2019 Congratulations!

@bsmdchat20 - got a snail mail from NJIT.

Rejection email from GW

@ekballerbsmd2019 Congrats! We heard accepted today to Albany/Upstate Medical too.

No MCATs. 4+4. No rural or primary care requirements.

We are waiting on other interviews too: VCU, SBU/GW, LECOM (DO), NovaSE (DO).
And 5 schools haven’t scheduled interviews yet…

Can anyone comment on rankings of Upstate Medical? How do we find info on if it is a good medical school? Tiers? Matches?

I prefer my undergrad school better w LECOM 3+4, but should I consider UAlbany/SUNY Upstate as a much better choice for medical school? Looking for wisdom and guidance.

We are noticing that not many of the (incredible!!!) applicants on here seem to have applied to the Cincinnati Connections program? Wondering if anyone has insights about why? Or any insights in general into the program?
It is our daugher’s #1 choice ! She should have a full ride to UC when NMF comes out, so this could be an incredible fit.
in-state (in Cincinnati, actually)
35 ACT
4.4.gpa
nmsf
white female
relevant leadership, service, shadowing, volunteering, great recommendations, etc.

Not sure what to expect?

@MaMaTEN Congratulations !! Not having to take MCAT is a BIG plus. =D>

@MaMaTEN
Congrats on your acceptance. I think this is a great program. I would have encouraged my D to take this in a heartbeat!

@MaMaTEN Congratulations!

@ekballerbsmd2019 Congratulations on your acceptance to SUNY. =D>

@MaMaTEN,

Refer to the below (courtesy @NoviceDad some time ago), Upstate medical center seems to have decent research funding of 18 million, exceeding both of AMC and NY Medical College’s though both of them are well established. This is a positive indication to me. Don’t bother about US News Rankings.

I am sure you can find the match information on their web site or by asking them.

UPSTATE MEDICAL UNIVERSITY SYRACUSE NY UNITED STATES 52 $18,482,842

https://report.nih.gov/award/index.cfm?ot=&fy=2018&state=NY&ic=&fm=&orgid=&distr=&rfa=&om=n&pid=&view=statedetail

@sevenbabies,

The reason not many applicants have applied there may be because of known strong in state preference given by the program.

@sajju786 The interview is on February 20th and is 1:1 format.

@anxmom18 The interview notification was through email. I am not exactly sure how many receive invites.

Congratulations @MaMaTEN and @ekballerbsmd2019

@sevenbabies we did apply to Cincinnati Dual Connections don’t know when we will be invited for an interview we are OOS though…

Thanks @OVOGang… what univ interview on Feb 20th??

All candidates who reach interview stage have solid applications, so after interview what makes few get acceptances and few get rejections?

@bsmdalien

Reading from other posts here, I think the committee predominantly focuses on the following two.
1)how well the candidate aligns with what they have written in the essays/application and
2) how well they convince that they are passionate about medicine, backed by familiarity with current trends in medicine.
Otherwise as you mentioned, by the interview stage most if not all would have a solid case.