Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Does anyone know much about Drexel Direct MD reputation? Son got interview invite.

@“Direct MD Hopeful”

Gosh, your name is hard to auto populate because of all the spaces in between “I had to use quotes around”

Drexel medical school itself has a decent reputation and great location (don’t go by US News Rankings).

However the program says it is not guaranteed that the students in the program automatically will matriculate into the med school. The reason being they have set the MCAT bar rather high, something corresponding to 87% ile (repeating myself here). Also they have minimums to be achieved in each subsection. Heard of students who could clear the 87% ile overall but not in each of the sections and had to retry. They give max 3 attempts to clear the requirement. Of course no need of another interview after the undergrad portion (like in the case of some of these fake direct med programs).

Despite that drawback, and the program being 8 years now instead of 7 as earlier, they give some break in the tuition at the undergrad usually.

So I urge you to attend the interview and then decide later whether or not to go for it.

@bujji_rocks

UCF-Burnett:
I believe you need to be admitted to their Honors program to be considered.
They take 500 students for their Honors program (for all types of program) out of about 1500-2000 who apply.

For the medical program, it is my understanding about 10-15 students enter the program. They may give offers to a few more.

They have a progressively increasing GPA requirements for undergrad and an MCAT of 514 to retain your seat in the medical program. You CANNOT complete your undergrad in less than 4 years. They allow you to complete in 5 years without losing your medical school seat.
You generally get undergrad scholarships (since you are admitted to the Honors program).

Feb 15 is the deadline for Burnett Medical Scholars Application.
The Medical School interview is in the 3rd year of the undergrad.

Hope this helps.

@bujji_rocks,

On top of what @NoviceDad provided, isn’t the program for instate students only, and if so I assume you are so.

UCF med school itself is decent, I heard of a student who went there after finishing his undergrad at Cornell and doing a Derm residency now somewhere else.

But you need to find out if it is a true direct med or not. The red flag is the interview at the end of 3rd year. Is it a mere formality for those who satisfy their undergrad requirements or chances that some one can be eliminated during the interview despite meeting the requirements? How difficult it is to maintain the undergrad reqs? (My guess, shouldn’t be big deal since UCF undergrad is not known to be a tough school). 514 is rather high a bar for MCAT, for some one who needs to score that high, what is the need to go through this program per se?

These are some of the ideas you need to explore, investigate and think and evaluate further to help make your decision.

@rk2017 @bujji_rocks
There is NO instate requirement for UCF - Burnett medical scholars program.

It is my understanding if you meet the GPA and MCAT requirements, interviews are more like a formality.

@bujji_rocks

Here is link that would be helpful for UCF and FAU on CC in 2018

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/university-central-florida/2025744-burnett-medical-scholars-p2.html

Does anyone know how many people does Drexel call for interview and how many of them are offered acceptances(and enroll)

Thanks @collegeboundxyz
good info on FAU MedPipelines Program on your thread
we will be interviewing there 3rd week of Feb.

@bsmdalien I called them a couple weeks ago and they said like 2 years ago the stats were: 635 forwarded to med school, 125 invited for interview, 64 accepted

Thanks @zsxBSMD2019

Drexel:

Last year Drexel received over 3k applications and about 800 were forwarded to the medical school.
I believe about 100 were called for interviews over 4-5 days.

Drexel has NO waitlist.

@collegeboundxyz
Good thread info.

Best of luck @sajju786. Looking forward to your posting after the interview.

Hey guys – I got an NJMS interview through TCNJ!!! I am so excited!

@mk1901 Congrats! How were you notified? Also are you in state or out of state

Has anyone got an acceptance call from UAB EMSAP program yet?

Anyone know when Hofstra sends out interview invitations? I know it’s in February, but does anyone know any specifics from past years?

I believe there are a lot a kids and their parents waiting to hear back on UAB EMSAP either today or tomorrow.

@bsmdchat20 Dec 20th interview at NJIT and 10 days ago got interview from NJMS

All, i know this is not the right forum to ask
 Do anybody know when Ruters - NB honors college results will be out? last year it was on Feb 6th
 thanks