Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@sajju786 My 2 cents, if BU program has a Clinical and Primary care focus, then extensive research experience would be not be a plus point. Your DS should have an inclination from the interview itself what was the focus and where does he fit in the program. Wish your DS GL.

Thanks @grtd2010
Checkout the thread.

@bsmddoodad ‘s DD had very good stats.
Wondering what happened at the NU HPME interview.
Seems they had a very bad experience.

Hopefully she has found a great undergrad program of her liking and thriving there.

Wish her the very best.

@grtd2010
Thanks, his interview went very well and he was asked regarding his research work by both interviewers.

@sajju786 Do not worry by random posts in social media. Every experience is unique and not applicable in general to others. GL to your DS and hope to hear good news soon.

@rk2017 @grtd2010 @bsmd14 @sajju786 @bsmddoodad

We all know that what AdComs look in a candidate is a mystery.

Out of ~1000 to ~4000 applications, they have to narrow it down to ~100 or less for interviews and then select 10 or 20 or 50.

However at all places my DD had interviewed, they were professional in their approach. Even when the interview was stress interview.
Even in this year’s cycle, we have not heard about any unprofessional interview sessions.

Re: college 1st year:
If you have NOT been stressed adequately in high school, you will struggle.

Same goes for medical school.
If your undergrad is “easy”, you will struggle in your first year.

For us, quality of both undergrad and medical school was a criteria for selection.

Thanks
@NoviceDad and @grtd2010

Anyone knows how many they call for REMS and what is the interview format ?

Does anyone know until when HPME will keep sending out decisions?

@SBSapphire 
looks like every Tuesday for the next following Wednesday, Thursday and Friday interview dates, in month of Feb till last week interview dates. We had one person on this forum getting and interview on 2/5 for the dates of
2/13, 2/14, 2/15.

So next cycle could be next
Tuesday 2/12 for interview dates 2/20, 2/21, 2/22
Tuesday 2/19 for interview dates 2/27,28,3/1

@mk1901, thank you and good luck with your upcoming NJMS interview!

Anyone got Upitt-GAP notification today???

@Mahikesh Thank you and Good Luck!
My DS also had interview with NJIT in December, hope he gets invited by NJMS!

@sajju786 “My S did extensive research, so I am not sure what @bsmddoodad means that BU would not accept students who have done research???”

I call BS on that. I know of current SMED students in BU program what had done research while in high school

It is not necessary to have research background for BU but having it is definitely not an hindrance.

Hello everyone

My first post here. Thank you for being such an amazing group of people.
We have had a success at LECOM BS/DO program. Trying to select an undergrad feeder school.

Any suggestions between UPitt/Bradford vs PennState/Altoona vs SetonHill/Greensburg?

@mywish4u,

Congratulations. Didn’t know there are so many feeder schools for LECOM.

I think people tend to get carried away by Penn State brand to begin with. But not all Penn State campuses are equal. As @NoviceDad pointed above, you need to select the undergrad program where your student will get “adequately stressed”. That will be good for his medical portion. So you need to start exploring the rigor at each of these places as one of the key aspects along with other criteria too.

@sajju786, @bsmd1826

The associate dean of admission’s or Director’s roles may have been limited to selecting who to call for interview. Once at the interview stage I don’t think he/she exerts much influence on the interviewers’ freedom on what to ask or look for in the candidates. The interviewers are all seasoned professionals and academicians.

Good luck to your son at BU and elsewhere.

@mywish4u @rk2017

the BS/DO program does NOT allow you to change campuses once you select it I.e. you cannot transfer to main campus.

Also, the number of science majors available at each campus is limited.

Also check if you have option of 3+4 or 4+4.
You can definitely do 3+4 at UPitt.
SetonHill may not be that supportive of 3+4.

SetonHill:
You are restricted to a particular undergrad major. At SetonHill, you have to choose Biology or Biochemistry.

UPitt/Bradford and PSU/Altoona have limited full undergrad majors - there are only 3-4 science majors which you can graduate at these campuses.

All the three colleges are in the same “quality” category.

It will boil down to

• the major you want to choose
  • financial scholarships/ cost
  • 3+4 or 4+4 option
  • and most importantly how your DS or DD feels about the college & campus

@bsmd1826 
Thank you for your support and advice. At this point in interview and admission process it freaks people out

@mywish4u 
congratulation on LECOM

@sajju786

I saw your question “Anyone got Upitt-GAP notification today???” - Did your DS get a notification? I dont see any in my inbox.

@sajju786
UPitt may be out later today, no notification yet.