Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Anyone got any interview invites for UPitt???

@elizabeth67809 Are you national merit finalist/semi finalist? Trying to figure out if UAB EMSAP takes only national merit finalists/semifinalists. Thanks!

@Direct MD Hopeful - Is your son national merit finalist/semi finalist? I am planning to apply for bs md programs next year and trying to figure out if EMSAP prefers only national merit finalists/semi finalists

@cy2019bsmd @Greentree2000
Thank you!

@MaMaTEN Thanks for the coaching.

@MaMaTEN
Congratulations!

Question- are you an ORM?

@coolguy456

UAB has a strong local (in state) and regional preference. They select 16 or so with 9 from in state and 6 regional and OOS. No, NMF is not required as we have seen many who were not NMF. But if you are OOS, you probably would need very strong GPA and standardized test scores to be invited to the interview. Good luck.

@coolguy456
Iā€™m not a national merit finalist/semi-finalist. Iā€™m not sure what the average accepted ACT score is, but I would assume mine is on the low end at 32. They stressed at the interviews the importance of taking leadership positions and making it your own or starting a whole new organization or project, and I think thatā€™s what led them to consider me. I definitely encourage you to do your best with any tests you take, but itā€™s crucial that you develop your character and skills through things outside of school that youā€™re passionate about. I think theyā€™re ultimately looking to see if you have the passion, character, and skills needed to make a good physician.

(I do agree with @GoldenStateDad that youā€™ll need pretty strong academics as well, though.)

@Greentree2000

We were told that the first set of students interviewed might hear by Feb 15. There are three possible options as AMC announces the finalists on a rolling basis.

1. if the student is definitely Yes, they will confirm by mid feb.
  2. if the student is a NO, they may here soon too
  3. if the student falls under consideration category they will keep the student in the waitlist pending completion of other rounds of interviews.

Good luck!

@elizabeh67809

I assume you are In-State for UAB

@GoldenStateDad Yeah! Itā€™s a little more competitive for OOS, so itā€™s even cooler that yā€™all got it!!

To prospective BSMd studentsā€¦read carefully what @elizabeth67809 and @MaMaTen posted in last few messages. Those are really good insights to be successful with BSMD preparation (Why question and leadership)

Iā€™m a parent of prospective BS/BAMD applicant. Didnā€™t know about this forum, wow what a wealth of info! My son has applied and got RPI/AMC, HPME, GWU, UMKC, Cincinnati interviews so far. How would any experienced parents here rank RPI/AMC vs UMKC vs. Cincinnati? HPME and GWU seems like really tough competition so assuming those must be good programs. Any input is much appreciated.

Thank you @GoldenStateDad for the insight information.

@GoldenStateDad Thank you very much for responding. I am in my junior year and have good GPA and ACT scores. I might not make it to National Merit as my index is 218 and my state index is generally 220. I really appreciate your feedback and all your comments here as thatā€™s really helping me to figure out what I can do to make my resume better. Good luck to your DS!

@elizabeth67809 Thankyou very much for responding. I will work on improving my leadership skills. Request you to post your stats in BSMD results thread once you finalize your admissions. It will be really helpful for us who are preparing for BSMD next year. Good luck!

@NoviceDad I donā€™t know what ORM is :slight_smile:

quick observation. If you want to address a comment to a a register user id that has special characters like space in it, e.g. user Direct MD Hopeful, you want to type that user id in Double Quotes after @ sign.
Generally you type user id after @ sign, but because of special character like space in some user ids, you need to encapsulate that use id in double quotes @ā€œDirect MD Hopefulā€ after @ sign, if you donā€™t then it look like @Direct MD Hopeful.

@MaMaTEN 2 lingos discussed heavily for BS/MD and Medical School in general.
URM - Under Represented Minority/in Medicine (Generally applies to applicants with African American, Latino roots)
ORM - Over Represented Minority/in Medicine (Generally applies to applicants with Asian roots)

@PPofEngrDr Thankyou! I was trying to respond to direct md hopeful and couldnā€™t figure out how to get his/her name.