Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@rk2017 thanks!
@srk2017 @PPofEngrDr -your input into the program rankings appreciated!

@rk2017 thanks for the lingo teaching! DD and DS makes sense to me now:)

Did anyone receive Hofstra interview invites?

No, have you? @Kitty1002

@bsmdbamd you got an interview with northwestern? when?

@bsmdbamd
Congratulations on the interviews.

I would suggest you look at the medical residency match list and ratio of primary care residency to total residency.
For your relative ranking, a lower ratio is better.
For example NU is about 30% compared to US average of 46%.
I personally find this as a good proxy of the quality of the program.

GW, AMC, UCinn and UMKC are all established programs.
I am personally negative on UMKC as I have only heard horror stories about it - mainly lack of support / guidance for a 6 year program.

UCinn primary care ~ 43%
AMC is about ~48%

Apart from these stats, a key aspect is how your DS feels about these colleges and what vibe he experiences when he visits the same during interviews.
Factor that as he will have to spend 7-8 years in that environment.

And of course the costs of the program.

Thank you @NoviceDad !

@chenlinong , my son got it. Next week. Good luck!

@bsmdbamd - I am honored that you are asking for my input :slight_smile: . Like @rk2017 , I am against 6 year programs and my S didn’t apply.

RPI/AMC is a good program, but Troy is a ghost town and my son didn’t like it and decided early that he won’t go there. RPI has grade deflation but doable. As per grade deflation at any school, it comes down to 2 things, 1. How competitive HS was and 2. How quickly kids transition to college. If you think your kid went thru the grind, then don’t worry about grade deflation too much. My son went to a very competitive IB HS which is nationally ranked in science competitions (he competed in 4 different competitions) , so he transitioned well to Vandy.

You should wait until all the decisions are out. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss confidentiality. Be aware that i may advocate for traditional path based on your kid’s profile :slight_smile:

Another pointer to kids and parents regarding match data is no one has breakdown of BSMD vs traditional path students match. I remember reading an old report which was -ve. May be someone can google (or google scholar) to find it.

More and more traditional path students are coming with gap years and ton of research and clinical experiences, so the gap may increase. However, I did hear some BSMD students getting top residencies. Again, comes down to each kid. Will they relax too much and do bare minimum or put in rhe effort like traditonal path students will determine their match outcome.

@RiceBits,

While having kid(s) from a highschool in the program can help future applicants from the school, it need not always be the case. Depends on how well the kid(s) do there and create a positive impression about their HS.

It did help my D, even not having cool gpa like yours. The program she is in turned down even her school valedictorians few years ago. But then some kid got in and blew them away. Ever since they have been taking a kid from the high school every year. Likewise, they invited 2 or 3 kids from her high school this cycle (2018) for interviews (thanks in part to D’s performance there I guess :-), but accepted only one, the valedictorian. And he chose to enroll (over other programs direct and traditional, some with full rides).

Any way with the decent stats of your D, don’t have to worry, I am sure.

Thanks @srk2017 ! I’ll PM you once all interviews done.

@NoviceDad -Do you know how many people interview for HPME for the 20 spots? What are the chances after the interview? If any interview tips for my son will be appreciated. thanks!

@bsmdbamd

About 120 for 20 spots.
They have a small waitlist as well.
Last year, I believe 1 student from the waitlist joined the program. We know of a student who chose Harvard over HPME.
So about 1 in 6 chance.

Interviews are one-on-one.
Atleast 2 interviews- one with a physician and another with the Director or someone from her office.

On the day of the interview, only the student is allowed inside the Medical School for interviews.
As a parent, you can enjoy Chicago (if you can handle the cold and the wind) or enjoy your hotel room.

Thanks
@NoviceDad

@Cherax no interview invite but just received an e-mail offering to apply to PA 5.5yrs program after UG admi letter a month ago and following with honor college admission letter. Not sure how to read this, my D doesn’t want to be a PA.

@bsmdbamd - 2 years back one girl I know declined HPME for Stanford. Not sure if HPME offers admissions to only 20. Everyone else doesn’t expect 100% matriculation.

@srk2017
HPME has a waitlist beyond 20.
So, they give offers to 20 and waitlist a few.
Last year, as far as I know, only 1 student declined.

Thanks @srk2017 !

Thank you @NoviceDad