Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@rk2017@PPofEngrDr@NoviceDad…@RedMan108…@grtd2010…so far we did visit both NU and BU campuses, we went twice to BU once in summer last year and this Jan for his BU SMED interview, my S likes Boston a lot and out of 8 interviews he got he wants to go there so far.
So far we did not get an interview invite form NU-HPME though.
He became NMF this week and BU gives him 20K scholarship for NMF…

I promise this will be my last post for today on the ranking subject…

Since the Stock Market and Dow are referred…I am sharing what I read somewhere…

Match data like the stock market: it doesn’t matter what the stock market did yesterday, it’s not going to determine what it does tomorrow. It’s a good predictor, it’s a good kind of rule of thumb to think about it, but things change, people change, professors change, and you – the person that is actually learning and studying and figuring this all out, is one of the biggest variables to all of this. So if you are motivated, if you are driven, if you are determined to get whatever residency spot you want, then you will probably do well. You cannot rely on the school to help you match somewhere. The school is there to help support you, but you need the drive and motivation to do it yourself.

Peace folks…let’s help each other and leave aside these “subjective” rankings…

@PPofEngrDr There may be websites that compile data about quality of medical doctors - insurance companies, patient ratings etc.

@sajju786

Here your own subjective factors would play a role as you have taken quality out of the equation (since NU/ BU are similar).

In many cases I know, $20k /year difference would not factor in their decision making.

It depends on your unique situation and where your DS is more comfortable.

@sajju786 Is NMF scholarship of $20K same as Presidential Scholarship at BU? There are only a few full tuition scholarship at BU for all applicants university wide. DD was also a NMF.

@grtd2010… yes for BU, NMF Scholarship amount is same as Presidential Scholarship of 20K per year. We have to make them our first choice by March 1st and we will be doing that.
Trustees Scholarship is full tuition that is very few around 20 I guess.

@NoviceDad he likes BU very much and wants to go there, so most likely if he gets he would go there.
If fact his UIC-GPPA interview went very well and being instate his all 7 yrs would be under 200K for us with all his undergrad free tuition…but he wants to go to BU if he gets in there compared to UIC -GPPA…

I guess next month when the results are out it will be a tough choice to make but I know in my DS mind he made it up to go to BU.

@sajju786,

Congratulations on NMF. You are almost assured of ~20k and who knows may be even Trustee scholarship (but only 1 for the entire SMED population). I think your S needs to nominate BU as the first choice university before March 1st for that to kick in. Not sure how it works with NU. Do they give price cuts for NMF finalists, I don’t think so.

As I said, nothing can match Boston in location, it may very well be called the health care capital of the nation. The rapid pace of things going there is mind boggling. Besides, BU on its own has great Bio med engineering program too to support the Med school initiatives. They are very strong in Engineering as a whole with strong ties with the Med school. I was going through the Electrical and Computer Eng. department there and counted close to 15 IEEE fellows in their faculty. All these things are not reflected in usnews rankings. (Wall Street Journal/Times higher rankings seem to be somewhat more reasonable though, if you want to check out).

@sajju786 that is very good news with 8 interviews so far. As a parent I think same way go where your kid heart is as kid has to do all work in college. Depending on kid personality home sickness may be an issue or not. In our case when he decided to go to UG route and ditch all BME engineering, it was boiled down to UMich and NU, ofc NU is home field advantage. As such your kid has these many interviews, highly likely to get few admission eventually, then grinding is real. At that time put all cards on table as family and decide.

@sajju786

Does your DS have a “dream” school?

If yes, I would select that even if it were $20k/year more expensive.

Yes @NovieDad his heart is to go to BU…and icing on the cake is he will get 20K scholarship…Praying he gets into BU which is his first choice.

Thanks @rk2017, @PPofEngrDr, @grtd2010

@sajju786

Is it $20K at BU is per year or over 3 years of UG?

Also, are you sure that every NMF who lists BU as the top choice by March 1 receives it? If you do not mind, could you please point me to where it’s on BU site? I could not find it. Thanks.

One of my friends D is at BU SMED currently was NMF and I recall her stating that BU did not give any NMF scholarship.

@GoldenStateDad…yes it is 20K for 3 yrs for BU-SMED and 4yr for regular BU undergrad for NMF.

https://www.bu.edu/admissions/tuition-aid/scholarships-financial-aid/first-year-merit/national-merit/

I also emailed BU admission and they told us to make BU first choice by March 1st.
Probably she did not designate BU as first choice by March 1st.

@GoldenStateDad, @sajju786,

My word is not official since D never got to NMF final status. She went to PSAT with zero preparation and missed the cut off by couple of points in the state that has the highest cut off in the nation. Call up BU folks for any confirmations

https://www.bu.edu/admissions/tuition-aid/scholarships-financial-aid/first-year-merit/

Oops, crossed the post with @sajju786 :-))

Thanks. When I click the link, it states “High school seniors who have been chosen as National Merit finalists, and are offered admission to Boston University, will be recognized with a four-year, $20,000 tuition BU Presidential Scholarship.”

So, I was not sure if it’s 20K over UG or per year. Also, I am not sure if they extend it to SMED program. Did anyone receive it so far?

@rk2017 Yes, NJ and CA are one of the highest NMF cutoff states and they started a new format for PSAT in 2017 year cycle. My DD school had 5 NMFs out of 70 in the graduating class that year including her.

@sajju786 how did UMKC go today?

@GoldenStateDad, D knows few of her class mates who got it (and also Trustees and Presidential).
Refer to my post at the bottom of 1st page of this thread (I think post# 15).

@rk2017…you are pointing towards Presidential Scholarship, NMF scholarship is different and they do give 20K if you scroll down or my link that I sent earlier and below.
Also I had emailed BU and as long as you make them first choice by March 1st you get 20K/ yr.

https://www.bu.edu/admissions/tuition-aid/scholarships-financial-aid/first-year-merit/national-merit/

I will also call BU admissions tomorrow to get more accurate info and let you guys know…

Thanks, @rk2017

@PPofEngrDr … he said it went very well at UMKC and he in fact enjoyed MMI…