Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Which AMC feeder school (RPI, Union, Siena) would y’all argue places students into better specialties? I know medical school education is the same for all three but the undergraduate foundation is vastly different.

Congratulations to all those who have got acceptances! Seems to be a great week in that regard.
DS got Hofstra invitation today via email.

@glossylamp,

I think you are thinking too far ahead about getting into specialties. You shouldn’t be too concerned at this time without proper exposure to formal medical education first.
What should guide deciding which feeder school to choose should be your spirit. Anyway lately AMC allows only one feeder right? So what is the point?

Each of the feeders has its own strong points. Union gives you the opportunity to get both MBA and MD and positions you well with administration and management background. I know a student few years ago who chose Union’s 8 year program over instate 7 year program for the same reason.

Sienna gives a good exposure to liberal arts. My D who attends a different program elsewhere was drawn to her program primarily because of liberal arts focus even though she is super strong in sciences.

And to answer your question, as someone said a couple of days ago, I think RPI gives the most rigorous foundation in sciences and research (I may be biased bcoz of my own engineering background). However with the other 2 feeder programs you got an extra year so you may take extra courses in sciences to strengthen your foundation. It may be also be possible to take courses at RPI if you work it out with your feeder school. As an example Rutgers Newark and NJIT students can cross enroll in courses based on their interest, even though both are separate feeder schools to NJMS.

And finally we have a student on this forum and I hope he or she won’t mind me pointing to him. @Undecided3494 chose to go to Union I believe in preference to CWRU and few other direct programs he got into. He can hopefully chime in with his/her perspective.

Congrats to everyone who received acceptances!

Is Uconn BS/MD interviews are over?

I believe some folks in this forum have received interview invites to Northwestern’s HPME program. Would you happen to know if they are done sending invites and interview dates?

@ad2019…interviews are sent out by NU-NPME till end of Feb…so sit tight, we also did not get an interview invite as of yet…

congratulations to all who got in BS/MD programs so far… :)>- =D>

@dd0106
Yes UConn is done with its interview process.

@sajju786, any update on Upitt notifications?

@cy2019bsmd…no word on UPitt…hopefully this Friday we might get to hear something…

thank you

Does anyone know whether Hofstra send rejection letters?

Just called Upitt… lady said that interview invites for Pitt already went out and that if you didn’t receive an invite you were not invited to interview

@sciencezzz05 - WOW!! really? and none from this thread reported any invites…

I just called Pitt Med school @ (412) 648-9891 and got a message that the college is currently closed :slight_smile:

How many UPitt calls for interview as we have not seen anyone get one

Do they update portal also?

For UPitt. I met somebody at an interview last week and they said they had gotten it that day. This was Friday 2/8.

But this is only anecdotal evidence. I didn’t apply so I’m not sure

@bsmdadmit sounds like an interviewer on ~O) ~O) break.

Don’t feel terrible if you applied to Pitt and didn’t get a call. Apparently Pitt med school has a chip on their shoulder (as someone mentioned few days ago in a different context), looks like they imagine themselves too high above the rest (probably driven by the faulty us news rankings) :))

@rk2017 you need to let go of USNWR :)) they may lower BU rank if they see your posts :smiley: