Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

I believe Pitt likes perfect scores and NIH level research experience. They are have the highest ranking among BSMD schools.

@srk2017, I donā€™t care about usnews rankings, you must be knowing that already.

@srk2017 are you back from overseas?

@srk2017, Not that I have any grudge against Pitt or endorsing any methodology, but their match rates are just about as normal as anyone elseā€™s. No need for them to have sky high expectations from students.

How many invites has UPitt sent out in prior years and how many have they accepted via the BSMD route?

M just curious at what NIH level research means. Coz most of us who submitted for regeneron have done high power research and it is college level research already . Not sure if we could have done anything more than what we did in research

I havenā€™t applied to upitt, but that sentence just got me curious , that what more could they expect

@diaash and others,

Not sure what NIH level research means myself. But it is not a level playing field for everyone. Geography plays an important role, kids living in certain locations in Virginia, DC and Maryland may have much more access to these facilities and opportunities there than others, throughout the year.

@PPofEngrDr
To clarify. I was at a different BSMD interview on 2/8. A fellow interviewee mentioned to me that he had gotten a UPitt Interview that same day or the night before.

@diaash Was your PIā€™s research funded by NIH ? NIH is a major funding source for health sciences( includes medical sciences) research at major universities in US. The research need not be done at NIH facilities or offices. Did your PI published the research in any academic journal or presented in any conference ? Check those papers- They should refer to research grant from NIH if any.
A lot of students work on NIH funded research projects during gap year to beef up their medical school applications.

This message board is not read by universe of all BSMD applicants.

[QUOTE=""]

that what more could they expect

[/QUOTE]

@diaash,

To repeat myself, the expectations besides ā€œNIH level researchā€ are - 1600 SAT or 36 (with 4 36 subsections), Valedictorian level in your school, never missing highest grade in any subject, never taking any subject below the highest level offered in your school and I am sure I may have missed a few more. Donā€™t think even Stanford may be having that kind of expectations.

@@GoldenStateDad @sajju786 Did your DS get UPitts interview invite ? Some one mentioned they already are out.

Anyoneā€™s DS/DD going to Temple BS/MD interview tomorrow, have one scheduled in the future, and/or already had one previously?

Talking about UPitt, how is UG premed there? UG is very generous with scholarships. Is it good school to prepare for medical school?

Has anyone received an invite to interview for FAUā€™s Med Direct program?

@grtd2010ā€¦no we did not receive any Upitt interview invite so farā€¦??

My son is going tomorrow. Is anyone else going?

@anthonydavis23ā€¦yes we did receive FAU Med Pipelines program interviewā€¦

@rk2017 ā€¦UPitt requires all that much from a high school student??? X(

@sajju786 or to anyone who wants to answerā€¦

My interview date is on the 25thā€¦ does a later date to interview necessarily mean lower priority/less chance of getting in?

Iā€™m a National Merit Finalist, if that information is useful (b/c Iā€™m aware that FAU looks for NMFs)