Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

As a backup We are OOS and got accepted in honors Umich LSA. Honors program at Umich LSA claims more than 80 percentage medical school acceptance.

Any thoughts as scholarship at UMich is better than schoolsnlike Upenn with UPenn premed has only 73 percent medical acceptance

so it turns out I got the vice presidential scholarship
 do you think I should still stick in-state? @GoldenRock you seem very knowledgable on these programs so I feel like your opinion will be helpful :slight_smile:

Thanks @NoviceDad @OldSchoolMD @srk2017 @hoop897 for your enthusiastic replies. We only applied a few BS/MD programs in addition to several reputable UGs, and will make the fun decision early next month. Good luck to everyone for a new week!

@trustybsms,

You just can’t “trust” :slight_smile: all these claims about what percentage of undergrads from all these traditional programs making it to med schools later. There are several manipulative tricks in play to make each of these programs attractive to pull in incoming students (hence raise their yields), especially the private institutions. Some of the facts hidden in these figures are that students below certain thresholds in gpa and MCAT are discouraged in applying to med schools and thus filtered out in their calculations. On the contrary students who graduated and took gap year(s) are included though they may not have been able to make the cut on the strength of their undergrad preparation alone but due to additional efforts during the gap or drop years.

Based on what I read in last year’s thread very few schools like Emory are straight forward in this regard (and hence their percentage figures not so appealing). So my advice is not to go with face values of these claims in deciding which school is better than others, but to do some more drill in that regard. Hopefully others here may be able to chime in as to how to verify the veracity in such claims.

trust but only after digging deep :))

@rk2017 @srk2017

Makes sense these numbers are relative and lot of weeding out goes behind the scene

@trustybsms,

We kind of discovered this on our own visit to a neighboring top ivy during college visits during D’s high school. The person giving this presentation to a big hall filled with students and parents was claiming that though they don’t have med school of their own, 96% of their students in pre med track make it to med schools across the country. I instinctively knew it can’t be true since the school is known to be grade deflated. Upon further inquiring with students and parents ahead of us in admissions cycles and reading on various channels, came to know of some of these dirty tricks followed across the board including at the likes of the top ivy I was referring to.

For some that are contemplating SLU:

https://arena.slu.edu/scholars/pdfs/med-scholar-requirements-oct.pdf

Has anyone heard back from the Brooklyn College BA MD Program?

@remroll

Suggest to talk with students from prior years from your school or friends/family of your circle to get a feel.
Also few folks in this thread have first hand knowledge based on their experience, research and visit.

Even with VP Scholarship, your UC cost will be slightly less. It is a trade off, if you want to take the risk with UC competitiveness and survive or want to try this path hoping it is slightly easier.

SLU doc, seems very rigid and not giving any flexibility. Don’t know if AP are accepted and can be used for the courses laid out by them for each year.

Per MSAR, 50 students entered thru EAP out of 177 matriculated for the last reporting period.

My DD did not apply and we did not take the first step since we got some feedback from one of the parent from Bay area whose DD had a bad experience. May be it is isolated.

@bm2027 A student at an interview whom I had met told me that she had received an interview from Brooklyn College, probably about three weeks ago.

@rk2017
Thank you, for anyone to actually believe “96%” of pre-med students at any school get into med school is ridiculous.

Have been doing some research on SLU. It appears that most (>75%) of medscholars who apply to the medschool at end of sophomore year end up matriculating into the SLU Med school. There is no mcat required at the time of admission. Just 3.65 gpa from a UG school that is not considered very competitive and the gpa is not impossible to achieve. For the 25% who do meet the 3.65 gpa criteria but are denied the prevailing theory is that the program is clear in dealing with students - that they also need to do volunteering, research and typically shadowing as well as keeping their grades up. These are typical requirements of all of the BS/MD programs not just SLU’s early assurance program. So a 75% acceptance rate seems pretty good for those medscholars who have gone through the BSMD grind in high school. SLU Med school btw is ranked 51 nationally in primary care ahead of several elite BSMD medschools such as Drexel etc. And there is no notion of “guaranteed” at those elite BSMD programs either. Thoughts?

So-called ‘elite BSMD’ programs are most of the time fully guaranteed. Just ask some kids in Brown PLME how many kids end up failing out every year- you won’t find any. Likewise on the other hand, there are ‘quasi-guaranteed’ programs such as Temple, SLU, UCF that oftentimes require extra stipulations such as an interview, shadowing, volunteering etc. that students typically already had entering into the program.

Typically, these quasi-guaranteed programs always, always have kids every year who end up not making the cut into the medical school. Additionally, most of the actually guaranteed BSMD programs don’t have any of the above requirements- they typically only require a low GPA bar (think 3.6 and under) and an average MCAT score or no MCAT bar at all.

@Cherax Thank you!

Looking for any information on the Univ. of Tulsa/Univ. of Oklahoma 8-yr BS/MD program. Because it’s a newer program, just a few years old, just wondered what people have heard. Also, for those knowledgeable, how would you compare it to the 6-yr UMKC BA/MD program?

@GreenPoison Outside of the Brown program, I don’t know any program that doesn’t at least require some volunteering or community service. I can’t imagine thats a hard bar for these kids. I also didn’t see any other than Brown that didn’t have some sort of GPA bar.

@trustybsms @rk2017 @srk2017 so this is what traditional UG schools (public and private) typically report as medical school acceptance rate.

1. They typical HPA office would advice against to apply to med school if they think its a weaker candidate.
  2. This results in GAP year.
  3. This GAP year student will come back sometime in future as med school applicant.
 Current Pool of applicants (of which 80% would be accepted) = current UG graduated student (i.e. w/o any GAP year)+ 1-2 or GAP years students who were graduated a year or 2 earlier then current year. This is the grey area where right side of equation is not clearly reported/published by UG schools.

@GreenPoison

in other words UG shadowing is treated as par with High school shadowing
 It is hard for me to comprehend that how come BS/MD students doesn’t have to go through close grind as UG. I don’t believe any high school can prepare students with all non-academia necessary qualities for a MD during tender age of 14-17 years (ofc there are always exceptions/outliers cases)

@sunitacarmen

This is precisely to make sure Drs have non-academia qualities just like traditional route. Taking BS/MD admission for granted won’t help irrespective whether it is an EAP or guarantee exclusive to GPA.