Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@ven2020 … good to hear…

@ven2020 , what is the MCAT requirement there? just curious

Different strokes for different folks.

At the admitted students day for NJIT, 2 blocks out, the locale completely changes.

And after talking to kids who went through NJIT’s program, I’ve heard that the program requires you to achieve the average MCAT of the previous entering class.

@ven2020 Is a walk from NJIT campus to NJT-Newark train station (a half mile distance) safe ?

@Mahikesh @GreenPoison For year 2018, median MCAT score for NJMS was 513 and median GPA 3.65, Total Enrollment 752, Acceptance Rate 7.9%
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School—Newark 752 513 3.65 7.9% 1725 86.6

Do not see any advantage of BSMD over regular route if MCAT required to matriculate from NJIT to NJMS is close to 512-513 except for full-tuition scholarship for UG.

My son is leaning towards TCNJ for the same safety concern with NJIT. His seniors who were in NJIT had been attacked one late afternoon while walking to train station to get home within NJ. Few of their other friends also had similar situation. Boys, girls doesn’t matter. They choose safety first and got transferred to Rutgers NB.

@Mahikesh : I heard until now everybody got very good scores only . I don’t think taking Mcat is not at all problem for this bs/ md students.

@XJet2019 This should be a major safety concern for anyone.
@Mahikesh One incident is too many.

@grtd2010 except for MCAT, there is no other stress… even for MCAT there is no minimum times… also, my daughters senior used 64 of her community college credits to complete it in 2 1/2 years… no interviews… i will find out more info in the coming days and post it here… ofcourse TCNJ is nice and i personally liked it… but not my D…

@Mahikesh If NJIT transfers 64 credits so should other state schools like Rutgers-NB.

@grtd2010 I agree about NJIT safety concern and we understood that after my son got full tuition and honors housing paid in NJIT. The honors housing was poorly maintained and beaten up when we had the tour. Does not look like recently renovated.
Good thing he had applied in TCNJ too.

BTW, Rutgers NB does not feed to NJMS.

TCNJ allows upto 64 credits transfer, safer location and closer to Princeton for research. Couple of my son’s school graduated kids are currently doing such research.

@XJet2019 Rutgers-NB has a new Global Health Program (4+4) with no MCAT requirement for RWJMS that started last year. The program is open to Honors College students who are first-year recipients of a Rutgers Presidential Scholarship.They will invite a few for interviews.
https://honorscollege.rutgers.edu/4-plus-4-program

@grtd2010 That is only by invitation to Presidential scholarship winners.

@grtd2010 Is the program a 7 year medical program with Rutgers-NB? Also, do they provide scholarship info by email?

@100Study101 @Xjet2019 It is not a 7 years program but a new (4+4) program with Rutgers-NB. This is restricted to Honors College students who are first-year recipients of a Rutgers Presidential Scholarship. No MCAT but a GPA 3.6 required at the end of 4 yrs for matriculation to RWJMS.

@101study101 Here is the link to that Rutgers NB Honors College + RWJMS 4+4 program. It has specific eligibility

@grtd2010 @XJet2019 - is Rutgers-NB/RWJMS restricted to NJ residents only, or is it open to OOS applicants?

@OldSchoolMD The eligibility says In-state Presidential scholars

[QUOTE=""]
This should be a major safety concern for anyone One incident is too many.

[/QUOTE]

@grtd2010

By that measure no one should be studying at Yale!! Check out New Haven or Baltimore (JHU).
Harvard folks even made a mocking video about their rivals Yale if you want to go look for it.

Security can be issue anywhere, that shouldn’t lead one to dismiss an opportunity.
I worked in Brooklyn for 5 years, sometimes late into night. Never encountered an issue despite the notoriety. Rutgers NB campus doesn’t go scot free either in that respect, yet thousands of kids don’t mind joining there year after year without any inhibitions.

Sheldon (Big bang theory) runs away from Pasadena since he thinks it is unsafe after someone breaks into his apartment, to some place in Montana only to be robbed as soon as he gets off the train there. He returns to Pasadena in the next return train :wink: