Thrive Scholars Round 2 Thread

Remember guys Round 2 applications are due tomorrow and I also got contacted by my interviewer. I’m scheduled for Feb 26.

Ok I officially submitted my application. Let me know when any of you guys submitted yours and maybe we can all share our essays or how we think we did on it.

just submitted mine! a bit worried my essay may have been a touch too personal, but i tried to stay away from making it too much of a sob story.

i’m a bit worried as i never heard from my interviewer, but i emailed them and they said she’d reach out to me soon :]

there isn’t any! but the average applicant has an income <75k.

Did you have the question about when you changed your mind about something? I don’t know what to write for mine

yes i did! everyone got the same prompt i believe.

it may have been a tad too personal but i wrote about how my girlfriend’s baking habits helped me see food through a different lens.

it wasn’t like some big ah-ha! inspirational ted talk moment or anything— i don’t think that’s what they’re looking for.

i also didn’t know what to write about for a long time, bc i felt like i didn’t have anything important enough to mention. but it helps to read example responses to the prompt you can find online, bc it’s a pretty common question.

i try to be myself while not being too chill or too formal. i hope that helps somehow :]

I talked about how getting invited to a party by a school bully because they wanted me to get out of my house for a while made me realize that my living situation wasn’t normal and gave me the motivation to want something more through the use of education.

Kinda hard to not make mine a sob story when my entire life is a sob story lmao. Plus it increases your chances of getting in anyway.

how so? i just feel like sob stories can end up being super common so i tried to stay away from them unless they asked (like the question on the first app about how covid impacted you).

I feel like the more drastic your situation is the more likely they are to get you into the program, but you also have to make sure that you show the motivation needed to excel in the program as well. From this kind of scholarship position thats how I went into writing my essays. I mean, I legit can’t write about anything good in my life in the first place so I thought I might as well right a sob story while still making myself seem presentable.

I could be wrong, but from the way I analyzed the situation and the from the videos of SCS Noonan that I watched you have to give a reason for why you want to enter the program through your writings while also showing that you thrive in educational situations as well and are willing to participate greatly in the program.

1 Like

I did my interview and it was around an hour long. It went pretty smoothly.

I don’t know how many applicants made it to round 2 but based on the short amount of materials they are getting, I think they narrowed down the number of applicants by a large amount in round 1.

3 Likes

I would ask you what you were asked in the interview but that would give me an unfair advantage.

Nothing out of the ordinary coming from an organization that looks to help low income people of color.

Mostly questions on adversity and what you’ve overcome.

1 Like

I can do that. But I’m scared of the interview because I’m not really a charismatic or cheerful person and I don’t want to come off as boring. I want to make the best first impression I possibly can.

The interview is easy, the questions are really basic. Really they want to see that you faced adversity and overcame it, also they ask questions regarding the summer program!

1 Like

Do you feel like you could get into the program based on how you did?

Yeah defiantly, it went VERY well. The interviewer even said, “Thank god you applied to this program”.

3 Likes

Do any of you guys know how much the interviewers know about our applications prior to the interview?

Jesus. Hold on Mudshib what are your stats? Like what did you put for your first application?