Time for another thread for B and C students

She does have a shot at Plattsburgh and it’s a nicer choice than the three you listed in terms of campus and program reputation. It’s worth a shot - she already has her SUNY app ready so it’s take her very little time.

She has a 410 math; I think it’s probably out of range. Their 25th percentile is 510

It’d be a reach, but for Hospitality the criteria may be a bit different (ie., experience, motivation, communication skills…) I’d say it’s worth a try.

Buffalo State is in a great part of Buffalo. The art museum and Delaware Park are right across the street. Elmwood Avenue is home to a number of bars and restaurants that attract students. The campus has traditionally had a large number of commuters. You may want to find out what that means for residents on weekends. The entire campus has a lunchtime break on Tuesdays and Thursdays for clubs to meet or just to hang out – once the Buffalo snow finally gives way to spring.

@bjkmom Sounds like you have good options. I don’t know about anyone else here, but I was REALLY hoping we would have it all figured out by now. DS is still waiting to hear from two schools - LSU and VCU Arts. LSU requested his mid-term grades, letters of recommendation and three mini essays, which they received and are now evaluating. DS did very well this past semester but I don’t know if it will be enough for LSU. Fingers crossed. If not, we will look at his remaining options. Either way, we will be traveling over Spring Break and hopefully have a final decision in April UGH, really wish it was decided already.

@bjkmom -

Is your D classified or on an IEP? Her math SAT is low, but they do take students in the 25th%ile. I would give it a shot. We didn’t visit Plattsburgh until after D was accepted. I took Amtrak up with her and my middle son, who also wound up going there, and we really liked the school and the area.

As for the math requirement, D took hers pass-fail. S17 will probably take a class at NCC to transfer.

No, she’s just awful at math… says the math teacher.

I’ll run the idea by her. Thanks, all.

^ it’s little effort for great potential gain - she has three schools she likes already and she has already completed her SUNY app. So, it can only be a gain, she doesn’t lose any of her three schools she can only add to her tally with a great school for her major, at a great price.

So… accepted to Plymouth State (NH) and very seriously considering it. They’re about 5 hours away… a little further than I would like, but do-able. And without the Lake Effect weather of Buffalo State or the 8 hour drive. This morning she responded on the group chat and was thrilled to hear from another girl from Long Island… who was equally glad to find her. If she does go there, it’s a potential carpool buddy. I’m hoping I can talk her into the drive up sometime this week so we can tour the school.

Still waiting to hear from Southern Conn State. She’s made some friends on the group chat there and would love to go there. It’s something like 90 miles away, easy to reach by car, Amtrack or ferry/uber.

She loved the program at SUNY Delhi, but can’t get beyond how isolated the campus is.

From what she said today, its down to those top 2. She decided against any further apps… she’s pretty much done with this process.

Then again, tomorrow it may be a different story, lol.

As to her criteria… .all the schools she’s applied to have some form of a hospitality/ tourism major. None is so outrageously out of our price range as to be impossible-- though I wouldn’t call any college “affordable.” All are driveable, though Buffalo is certainly a reach in that respect. So at this point, it’s pretty much a question of what her gut is telling her about fit.

How are the other B/C students doing?

Congrats on the choices.

My sons have a friend who went to Delhi for the cooking/hospitality program. They have visited up there and it’s not too long a drive from LI.

Are you planning on giving your D a car the first year?

She has a car… she inherited my minivan last summer. But she’ll be keeping it home next year. (The fact that it is a minivan probably helps us there.) She doesn’t need to be “the one with the car.” We’ll see about sophomore year when it comes.

@bjkmom Congrats to your DD! She has some great options. Hopefully she will hear from Southern Conn soon.

Not much has changed since my last post. DS has lots of acceptances but we have ruled out most of them, which is frustrating. We are still waiting to hear from his top two choices, LSU and VCU Arts. LSU requested to see his senior mid-term grades and two letters of recommendations, which we provided. DS did very well this past semester so hopefully that will be enough to get into LSU. VCU Arts is highly competitive and I don’t know if his portfolio was strong enough for that school. Hoping to hear by mid March.

Here are my recommendations for schools for more average students! (also these scores could be wrong whoops)
-California Lutheran University: 1190 SAT 25 ACT
-CSUCI: 1240 SAT 25 ACT
-CSULB: 1270 SAT 26 ACT
-Chicago State University: 1150 SAT 18 ACT
-University of Delaware: 1280 SAT 26 ACT
-Frostburg State University: 1070 SAT 19 ACT
-University of Hawaii Manoa (or Hilo or West Oahu): 1080 SAT 23 ACT
-Humbolt State University: 1300 SAT 21 ACT
-Keystone College: 990 SAT 19 ACT
(i’m tired of typing scores so…)
-Lake Superior State University

• University of New Hampshire
    -Point Park University
    -University of Portland
    -University of Rhode Island
    -University of Vermont
    -Wagner College
    -Washington State University
    -Westfield State University
    -University of Wyoming
    -and more!

“I agree there is a prevailing perspective here on CC that B/C kids just don’t measure up when, in fact, IMO, these are the kids that are most likely to succeed, simply because they have learned to roll with the punches and keep going. Let us remember that B by definition is above average and I really do not see how that simply is viewed as “not good enough”.”

Good point, here’s an article on linked-in showing that most self-made millionaires are not A students, in fact more C than A students. It’s one survey but still interesting.

https://■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/pulse/8-10-self-made-millionaires-were-students-instead-share-jeff-haden/

Grad rates at most of these universities are awful – most taking five or six years to finish, if ever. Full tuition x six is a big number. With high school grade inflation so rampant, too many parents are flushing money down the drain sending kids with no study skills or discipline off to party.

Sad to see I didn’t see anyone recommend the service, skilled trades, or a gap year to grow up a bit.

There’s just no way we’re spending 20K-50K $ a year x4 x5 x6 on a slacker. Our kids with these stats would have to do 2-3 semesters of community college (beginning in the summer after senior year) and prove they’re worth the university expense.

@writermom2018 I think you make some good points, but you also assume thing that, in my child’s case, simply isn’t true. My son goes to an extremely tough, rigorous private school where there is more grade deflation than inflation. If he were in our local public school, I have no doubt his GPA would be at least a 3.6, probably even higher. He has friends in public school who take AP classes who have less work to do than my son has in his regular classes. There are many kids who transfer out of our school to go to public school so they can bring up their GPA. I have zero concerns about his ability to succeed in college because he has excellent study skills. My son is not a slacker and he’s certainly not lazy.

My older son, who is in college, is literally breezing through it because the workload is actually in less in college than it was at their very tough high school He is bored with some classes because he actually learned much of the material in high school, and he finds himself helping his classmates who are learning the material for the first time.

So please don’t assume that all high schools are created equal. They are not. My son may struggle to get a 3.0, but he will be far more prepared for the rigors of college than students from other high schools who rarely study or do homework and yet still have a 3.8. .

@writermom2018: this thread is for B/C students who want to go to college. It’s also a support thread for the parents of said children.
In addition, some students work very hard to get their B. It’s not A for effort, B for nice slackers, C for unpleasant slackers, at least not where I’m from.
Some students get a mix of A’s and B’s with a few C’s mixed in. Some get mostly B’s, all the time. Some had a horrible, horrible year and got a slew of D’s that drowned their GPA. Some may be slackers but just as many if not more may work hard and just find school hard. (Keep in mind that this is a thread for kids who want to find their way to a good college for them, rather than stay home to play videogames). In some cases, it’s an issue with maturity. In some cases, it’s a bad school system that didn’t prepare them well. You can’t make a sweeping judgement.
One thing is true for all of these students: they will need some form of education after high school (trades or community college or 4-year college).
In my opinion, a struggling/hard working student with excellent time management skills due to having to spend so much time to get a B deserves to go to college as much as the A student; if the A student never had to work before they may find college a much bigger adjustment than the struggling/hardworking B student.

Fortunately, my daughter, like so many of the kids I teach who earn B’s and even C’s, is not a “slacker.”

In fact, I can’t think of a whole lot of kids I’ve taught since 1980 who have deserved such an unkind title. Sure, some have struggled with academics. Some have developed interests outside of the classroom. Some have had outside issues like the ones my own kids have dealt with-- my mastectomy, my husband’s near death ICU experience 2 years ago, my daughter’s issues with anxiety that same year and a host of others-- that have effected their academic performance.

But I would NEVER refer to her, or to anyone else’s child, as a “slacker.”

And she’s not going anywhere “to party” (According to Princeton Review, here’s where you’ll find those kids: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/top-20-party-schools-2017-princeton-review_us_597a2174e4b02a4ebb73de51 " Funny how none of the schools on that list haven’t been strongly represented on this thread… one would think that the party schools would be a Mecca for the “slackers.”

So hang on to your money and make your kids prove their worthiness. My daughter has proven it time and time again over the past 18 years.

Those of you reading this who are kids, who fall into that B and C range, please know that the poster I’m responding to is NOT representative of the way your parents, or your teachers, or the adcoms at these schools, think of you. It’s her opinion, and she’s entitled to it. But most of the people I named feel strongly that she’s wrong.

1 Like

I just worry threads and conversations like these pressure families to let their kid give university a try (because everyone else sends their kids off!). Five and six figures of non dischargable debt on a kid that hasn’t show much discipline is not wise. Half the kids who start college drop out. I’m sure if you isolate the B C students or their respective SAT scores it’s more like 60+ %.

The most popular college at my daughter’s wealthy, ultra-competitive high school is the local community college. We’re adults - nobody is pushing me into sending my kid to a school I can’t afford because “everyone’s doing it”. there’s nothing wrong with a trade school, but my son has no interest in that. I’m not forcing him to trade school anymore than I would force him to go to college if he didn’t want to.