Time for another thread for B and C students

I’m so sorry to hear about Southern Conn. I can imagine how disappointed she must be. Last year, my older DS was rejected from his top two choices and it was a very difficult time. Once she gets over her disappointment and chooses her school, she will feel very different. It’s an exciting time to choose your college, even if it isn’t your first choice.

I think the worst part of the process is that schools send rejection letters so late. If they know they won’t accept you, I wish they would notify you sooner than later. Don’t understand why they wait to the last minute.

It sounds like Plymouth is a great fit! Let us know what she ultimately decides.

@bjkmom -

So sorry to hear about Southern Conn. It is their loss, as your D sounds like a lovely young woman with a great attitude.

I know she didn’t get to look at Plattsburgh, but I see you still have Buff State on your list. The Amtrak goes right to town (long ride but I love trains) but I have found that flights are not that expensive. S17 is at Fredonia and I flew up in October. It’s a one hour flight from LaG (can also go from JFK, not sure about MacArthur). I have flown S17 home a couple of times and got flights for less than $100. I enrolled him in Delta Skymiles so he is earning miles/points which could come in handy if he decides to do a study abroad. Honestly, I am paying a lot less flying him down and sometimes back than the difference in the tuition if he’d gone to Post or Adelphi.

My middle sons have a friend who graduated from Buff State last year and he loved it. We also know a young man who graduated from there and then went to Israel for a masters’ program and is now a science teacher in the DOE.

Good luck with the final choice and the rest of senior year.

Honestly, I think even a rejection letter would have been better than “check the portal.”

But it is what it is. She’ll recover.

We may need some serious ice cream therapy today. I suggested it last night, but it was 2 am-- 7-11 was the only real option (not in the mood to change into real clothes and hit the diner at that hour.)

But, like so many B/C students, she’s resilient. By this time tomorrow, she’ll be over it.

And we’re both off this week; maybe we’ll fly up to Buffalo and see. Rates aren’t good right now, with it being Easter/Passover week. But we can bite the bullet and see. Even if we do spend the airfare, Buff State is a lot cheaper than Plymouth, so it might be a great investment.

Thanks for the suggestion @techmom99 !

I’m sorry about Southern Conn. But it seems that Plymouth is a great fit so it might have been a blessing in disguise. :slight_smile:
(And there’s always the list of colleges that imiscalculated yield if she really wants to try again… but sounds like she doesn’t.)

@bjkmom -

If you decide to fly Delta, enroll in the skymiles asap. I decided to get the credit card, which gave me 60,000 points for spending x amount in y months, and I now have over 70K points. A trip to Buff is about 11,000 points. Since the fares are so relatively low, I am saving the points for other things, but. Also, the earlier you book, the cheaper it is. For instance, I booked S17’s flight home for spring break very early and it was about $80. He then called and asked if he could come home the week before as well, for H’s birthday and the HS play. I bought that ticket about 10 days in advance and it was $100 or so. I also send him back on the school sponsored bus, which is $80.

I am driving up on Thursday/Friday with my oldest kids and their SO’s to see S17 and go to the Canadian Falls (which I have never been to).

Good luck.

Nope, I think she’s done applying. She’ll have a brief pity party, then choose from her options. I think she’s a bit gun shy about putting herself out there again.

And that’s my prime reason for not pushing a CC at this point-- she would have to redo the process in 2 years. Enough already. She has some great options. She just has to get over feeling hurt and get to a place where she can decide.

Some of her A average friends are facing similar issues with other schools. So she’s certainly not alone.

Carvel may just have a banner weekend on Long Island.

And thanks so much for the kindness one and all. You guys know how hard it is to see your kids hurting, even when you know it’s temporary. You’ve been a tremendous help.

@bjkmom - hugs to you and your daughter but yay that she still has some great options. She will be simply FINE. I suggest, in addition to the ice cream therapy, maybe a retail therapy trip to get some cool dorm stuff or something. I know you don’t know room measurements yet, but nifty new bed wear or some cool desk accessories from Ikea can be fun.

How are the other B/C students doing? Everyone finding a good fit, or at least some reasonable choices??

Well, it looks as though she may have made a decision.

We were talking yesterday. She brought up the subject of college. I said that I had been bored, and had come up with pros and cons of her top 4 choices if she wanted them. (Local CC, Buffalo State, SUNY Delhi and Plymouth.) She said she didn’t think she needed to see them; she thought that Plymouth was where she “should be.”

We talked briefly about the Parable of the Flood. And I said that when God tells you where you should be, then it’s easy-- that’s where you should be. But that she should go into it with enthusiasm. If she hated it, she could always transfer, but she should go into it with the intention of loving it.

Mail came from Plymouth yesterday, with the finances. The combined $5000 they’re giving her and a $5000 loan bring her total down to $23,000 a year— pretty much what we would pay at SUNY. I think she was surprised to learn that, and is OK with the idea of a $5000 a year loan.

She was more active on the group chat yesterday-- she has a lead on a roommate from MA who sounds really nice. And another girl contacted her, saying that since they shared the same first name they really should become friends.

I’ll check with her today before putting down the deposit-- I learned a while ago that if I push too fast, she’ll push back. But it looks as though she’s ready to commit.

It will be so very nice to have this decision behind her!

And, in other news, she was offered a second part time job a while ago. In addition to her job at a local Italian Ices stand, she’s also hostessing at a diner. (We go there a lot after Sunday mass. The owner literally asked her whether she would be interested in the job. He knows that her first loyalty is to the other job and he’s fine with that.) She says it’s easy money-- and it’s year round. So she would have work if she wanted it over school breaks, when the Ices place is closed for the winter.She’s worked a few times already and likes it. So that’s more money in the bank for next year.

My daughter is in the same position with LSU. They have her under holistic review but I don’t feel like they will accept her at this late in the game.

DS made his final decision, he will be attending VCU Arts. It was a tough call between VCU and LSU, but ultimately VCU’s Art program won out due to its very high ranking and worldwide reputation. My heart was a little sad, as I love LSU, but I know that VCU is really the better option because of their Art School’s reputation.

Congrats @sbgal2011 !!!

@wcarter … is there a Plan B in place? If she doesn’t get into LSU, where will she attend? And will she be OK with that, after a day or so to adjust? Would you consider putting down a refundable (check on that) deposit between now and May 1?

Congratulations @bjkmom, @sbgal2011 ! :wink:
Time to get the tee shirt/cap/hoodie/notebook/penant :slight_smile:

Funny you should mention that…

When we toured Plymouth, it was their first even twilight/night tour. My thank you to the adcom mentioned that our only regret was that by the time we got to the bookstore, it had closed.

A few days later, a Plymouth T shirt arrived at our door with his compliments. Along with it came a debit card/ID holder to attach to her phone.

I ordered a hoodie a few days later.

She raves about the phone holder, and is seldom seen not wearing one of the other two tops.

Deposit is in.

“OK, mom, I’m planted. Time for me to start blooming!!!”

She is SO EXCITED to have this decision made, and to be attending a school she loves!!!

Actually we have put a non refundable deposit down. I wanted to ensure she was able to get the dorm she wanted. And yes she’ll be ok with the second choice. I just think that it’s wrong for LSU to just hold out on sending their decision. At this point they have to know if they want to admit her or not

I agree, absolutely.

If the colleges are going to set May 1st as a deadline, then April 1st – or earlier-- should also be a hard deadline on letting the kids know…

Congrats to your daughter…I wish her the best.

Thanks, and to yours as well.

@bjkmom I’m so happy that your daughter is excited about Plymouth! It sounds like a great fit. And if for some reason she doesn’t like it once she is there, she can always transfer. My oldest son attended his last choice school, dreaded it and was sure he would only be there a semester or two before transferring. He loves it there and can’t imagine being anywhere else. Things have a funny way of working out!

@wcarter I can’t imagine how frustrated you must be. It’s ridiculous that LSU has not made a decision yet, with May 1st right around the corner. I hope you hear something by the end of the week.