Time to airport

<p>We have a 7:00am flight out of BHM. What time should we leave the Wingate for our flight? Need to allow time for rental car return and security. Never been to BHM, so not sure of the logistics and timing.</p>

<p>Also, any good breakfast places on the way that are open that early?</p>

<p>Did a 6:45 am flight before. Rental car drop off – fast, easy not time consuming at all. Please note that a lot of the rental companies aren’t open yet but have the key drop box. The part that had me worried was when I got to security, line was long. </p>

<p>BUT wait I didn’t need to stress, seems that is typical with first flights all about the same time. however, security was prepared, all stations were open (4 or 5) and the line moved really quickly. Had time sit and wait to be called. </p>

<p>Sorry can’t recommend place to eat, don’t eat that early.
Have a good flight home.</p>

<p>Here’s a link to the airport. It is an easy ride from Tuscaloosa although I don’t know how long it takes to get there. Maybe Sea_Tide will respond soon. My D flew in and out of Birmingham to OIA. Birmingham Airport is very small and easy to navigate in comparison.</p>

<p>[BHM</a> - Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport](<a href=“http://www.flybirmingham.com/]BHM”>http://www.flybirmingham.com/)</p>

<p>If you’re on the road by 5 am you’ll be there in plenty of time. It’s roughly an hour to the airport depending on traffic and how fast you drive. Rental car return is quick and easy and even in the longest line it’s never taken me more than 20 mins to get through security at BHM. If you need to stop to fill up your car before returning it then allow for an extra 10 mins or so.</p>

<p>I think there’s a Cracker Barrel over near the Wingate for breakfast.</p>

<p>Since continental breakfasts at non-airport hotels are rarely put out that early, see if the hotel will let you have some fruit and muffins earlier or pick up some foods at Wal-Mart the night before. I would suggest leaving around 4:30-4:45. Since you will need to refuel your rental car before returning it, note that there is a BP station a block behind the two Shell stations that is usually 10-15 cents cheaper per gallon. As others have said, the Birmingham airport is easy to navigate.</p>

<p>Cuttlefish, what airport is OIA? The airport code for Orlando Int’l is MCO. I have a habit of referring to cities by there airport codes, but sometimes forget that not everyone knows ORD, BNA, MCO, MSY, SDF, etc. :)</p>

<p>You are right Sea_Tide! OIA is Orlando International Airport and MCO is it’s true abbreviation. Stands for the old McCoy Air Force Base or something along those lines.</p>

<p>Pop quiz: what’s OGG? No Googling! :)</p>

<p>Chardo, I’m not sure of your definition of “good breakfast” but there’s a Cracker Barrel and Waffle House within walking distance of the Wingate. I’ve stayed there twice and really enjoyed the hotel. There’s also a Cracker Barrel right off the Interstate closer to BHM. You can’t miss it.</p>

<p>Maui! :slight_smile: I was just looking at that the other day because a friend is thinking of going there because the Marriott resort there is offering a killer promotion.</p>

<p>Cracker Barrel opens at 6 am, so that won’t work on departure day.</p>

<p>Waffle House is open 24 hours, but can be a bit divey (except for the new one on The Strip).</p>

<p>Bham airport is easy in and out (except for maybe holiday times).</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Spot on, feeno! Come on down and collect your prize. :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Well, yeah, but it’s quality drek. ;)</p>

<p>^^</p>

<p>lol…yes the food isn’t bad.</p>

<p>When I need to get to drive a distance to an airport, I prefer to leave early, get to the area, and then eat. That way, if there’s some snafu, I won’t be late to the airport.</p>

<p>When you’re returning to B’ham on I-20, and you’re exiting for the airport, the airport is to your left, but I don’t think there’s any placed to eat that way.</p>

<p>If you turn right when you exit at Airport Hwy, there’s a Hardee’s right there. Hardees has pretty good breakfast items for fast food. You can either eat inside or take the food “to go.” Their biscuits are super good.</p>

<p>^ that sounds good. Fast food is probably better than sit down. Had biscuits at chick fil a last time, which was pretty good. We don’t have chick fil a or hardees here in ny (no waffle house or cracker barrel either).</p>

<p>Ohh! Take some biscuits with you on the plane. The other passengers will be so jealous! :)</p>

<p>Chardo: I asked D for options, she said if you are in T’Town on a Mon.-Fri. to let you know City Caf</p>

<p>Thanks. I have been told about city cafe but it’s kinda far out of the way. Hope to try it another day. Dunkin is a no go, we have one on every other corner. Want something more interesting if possible.</p>

<p>malanai, if I do end up coming to Maui, I’ll give you a ring!</p>

<p>Chardo, I can’t think of any breakfast places that open super early in the Cottondale area. Hardee’s near the airport isn’t a bad option. They have a popular breakfast - in fact they are usually busier for breakfast then for lunch or dinner!</p>

<p>I hate Cracker Barrel - it is definitely for the tourists and interstate travelers. You can get as good a breakfast for much cheaper at any local restaurant (and the same goes for meat-and-three lunch/dinner). Frankly, even Waffle House is a better option - at last they’re quick.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Please do, feeno. In fact, please pm me with the dates you’re considering, if you don’t mind.</p>

<p>It may not happen this year. Next year perhaps!</p>

<p>^^^OK, keep me posted.</p>