Time to apply plus last minute visits...

<p>I asked for advice a little while back about underground Georgetown Nursing for my daughter. As I'd hoped - she is realizing that Georgetown and UPenn make a lot more sense for her grad school CRNA plans (along with Duke, UCLA & Stanford among other dream schools. </p>

<p>So far we have visited UT-Austin, Baylor, and U of MN. She has scratched Georgetown & UPenn from the visit list - which frees us to visit schools that make more sense cost-wise for undergrad. UT-Austin would be in-state (scary admission stats now that they're direct entry - but she's a strong candidate and feels good about her chances). U of MN told her she'd receive in-state tuition and probably more merit money - and likely guaranteed nursing as a freshman (plus out of state is free application fee). Baylor is a safety - but not direct entry.</p>

<p>Direct entry is a must for her - as well as a solidly recognized grad school (more happiness if they have a CRNA grad degree). She would love to find a school that offers merit money to allow us to keep saving for grad school (there isn't a chance of need-based). </p>

<p>Please let us know if you can think of schools we've missed in our thought process. I know there are many - it just took so long to get Ivies out of her paradigm. She will be starting applications next week... She is thinking about U of Mich - but probably not much merit $$ offered - or in-state. </p>

<p>Stats through junior year:
GPA: 5.32 out of 5+ (1 Semester B)
AP Classes to date: World History 4, US history 5, Psych 5, Human Geo 5, Environmental Science 4, English Comp 5, Chemistry 4, - she has 7 scheduled senior year</p>

<p>ACT: 33. SAT: 2030</p>

<p>EC - this is her strongest section. She already has 200 volunteer hours this summer as a camp counselor for special needs children: 2 summers of medical internships, she founded a mentorship program freshman year matching 20 high school students with 20 at risk elementary students each year at a title school in our district, class president, Stuco, varsity soccer fresh & sophomore year until concussions - now runs 1/2 marathons; part time job, several leadership conferences (HOBY, RYLA), principal's Leadership Council all years - now president..., she has her tutoring & pet sitting neighborhood businesses (the pet one since 4th grade).... </p>

<p>Thank you for any thoughts. This is too important to not seek advice from all you knowledgeable souls across the country...</p>

<p>I wouldn’t worry about the quality of a college’s grad nursing program if you are only going for a BSN. Most nursing programs want a nurse to have experience before they enter a grad program, so the student probably won’t be staying in the same town anyway.</p>

<p>I’m guessing you may find that some universities that have famous grad programs may place more emphasis on the grad students than the undergrads.</p>

<p>I agree - if you aren’t eligible for aid, I wouldn’t pay 220K for a RN degree from an expensive university. Some top universities charge much less in tuition for grad students per year than undergrads.</p>