Timing of app. and test scores?

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>UA is my dd’s top choice. I see that the online application is now open, but she is still hoping for 1 extra ACT point to maximize merit scholarships. Is it okay for her to go ahead and do the app now? She will test one more time in early fall and we’d like to make sure that score is still considered for scholarship purposes. Specifically she’s planning on majoring in engineering and has an ACT of 29.</p>

<p>gamomto4girls, thanks for your post. I could have written it! My daughter is in the same position as your’s. She plans to major in engineering and has an ACT of 29…ugh! Had she gotten a 29.5, it would have rounded up! She took it again on June 8th and will take it again in the fall if she needs to. :frowning: I believe they can apply and keep taking the ACT right up until the deadline…</p>

<p>The last act you can take is the October one!</p>

<p>Try looking here:</p>

<p>[FAQ</a> - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/faq/]FAQ”>Frequently Asked Questions – Scholarships | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Your student should receive the highest scholarship for which they qualify by the last test date listed. Pay special attention to these sections.</p>

<p>"If I am awarded the Capstone Scholar Scholarship, take the ACT test again and score higher, which will make me eligible for the Presidential Scholar Scholarship, do I receive both scholarships?</p>

<p>No. In the scenario described above, the Presidential Scholar Scholarship would replace the Capstone Scholar Scholarship.</p>

<p>When are the last ACT/SAT test dates that you accept?</p>

<p>The national October ACT and the national November SAT are the last college entrance examination results accepted for students who want scholarship consideration."</p>

<p>You may also want to visit this link:</p>

<p>[Scholarships</a> - Undergraduate Students - The College of Engineering - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://eng.ua.edu/undergraduate/scholarships/]Scholarships”>Scholarships – College of Engineering | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>All test scores, applications for scholarships (your app is not “complete” untill you fill out this part) are due to UA by December 1st. They could always change this at any time in the future if admissions become very vigorious and competitive. Best to take these as early as possible.</p>

<p>I would go ahead and apply and get accepted to the school. There will be a housing app and deposit deadline in October that will determine priority for selecting housing. The scholarship application is a different app as well as the honors college app which I would guess your daughter qualifies for.</p>

<p>One of the more surprising (for us, anyway) family challenges came as a result of our early application. DS applied to both Bama and you-know-where. UA responded in less than 3 weeks. Having the Bama acceptance letter persuaded S to go ahead and commit with a tuition pre-payment and housing application, long before Auburn released their acceptance letters. By the time Auburn accepted him, we were so far down the path (logistically and emotionally) it didn’t make sense to jump. </p>

<p>No regrets so far, the Bama new student experience has been very organized, positive, and optimistic.</p>

<p>I guess I’m saying if you go the early application route, get ready for early discussions and maybe early decisions.</p>

<p>Thanks you all! So it appears that since the scholarship app. is separate she is fine to do the general app. now. </p>

<p>@ProudBamaMomma- glad we’re not the only ones who are SO close. My dd did take it again June 8th too, but left feeling decidedly pessimistic. She felt science was brutal this go around. Looking like we’ll need an early fall last try.</p>

<p>My daughter took the June 8 test also and thought it was difficult. She is at a 30 and was hoping to get to 32. She has been leaning more towards Michigan State recently, so if she doesn’t get the Presidential Scholarship - it will make her decision easier.</p>

<p>*Thanks you all! So it appears that since the scholarship app. is separate she is fine to do the general app. now. *</p>

<p>Your D can do both apps now. It doesn’t matter if a better score comes in after the later as long as it’s from one of the accepted test dates. </p>

<p>If your D applies for scholarships NOW with a lower score, but then gets a higher score, Bama will increase her award. No problem. </p>

<p>Frankly, senior year is stressful, so get both apps in as soon as they are LIVE.</p>

<p>Scholarships are not awarded based on the test scores at the time. Future test scores from approved test dates will be used as well.</p>

<p>My son’s guidance counselor wants no one to turn in applications until they are back at school in August!<br>
Am I right in assuming that the general application to Alabama is straight-forward information?
And can someone tell me if the Honors College application and/or scholarship application require essays or other longer answers?
If so, could someone tell me the actual essay question(s) so my DS can work on the essay in the summer, when life is a bit easier?</p>

<p>My son’s guidance counselor wants no one to turn in applications until they are back at school in August! </p>

<p>…Ha, I guess my reaction would be “so what”. Seriously, what’s she going to do if your son applies over the summer? I doubt she’d even know. GCs don’t know the dates of app submissions. All they know is that a student (in August) gives them a request for a transcript.</p>

<p>Am I right in assuming that the general application to Alabama is straight-forward information?</p>

<p>…yes the app is easy</p>

<p>And can someone tell me if the Honors College application and/or scholarship application require essays or other longer answers?</p>

<p>…the regular app for the HC has a (ha ha) essay request. It’s not really an essay, it has nothing to do with admission. It’s just a way for a student to introduce himself. A couple of sentences is FINE. the essay prompt is just a question about interests, etc. NO BIG DEAL…I’m not even sure that anyone reads those.</p>

<p>The app for CBHP and IHP require excellent essays. I dont’ know what the current/latest essay prompts are. It’s been too long since my kids have done them.</p>

<p>Concerning those guidance counselors… ours do not want students to START taking the SAT/ACT until May or June AFTER their junior year. I went livid when I heard that! I told them they are causing a lot of kids to miss out on scholarships by giving out that “guidance”. Throw in that some kids are involved in EC’s that have Saturday commitments and then you can not retake them in the Fall. They also said that the apps for our state did not open till… oh wait, they did not know (SMH)! They then took a guess that it was September. Wrong. It is August 1st. </p>

<p>Here is my thought. Even if the apps for some schools and the Common App may require an essay, would you not rather get that out of the way before school starts and you start getting downloaded with other homework, assignments, EC’s, etc. Write the essay, get it proofed by someone that is trusted. Turn it all in. </p>

<p>Go ahead, turn in those apps. Your gc will not know and they can not forbid you from doing so. Turn it in. Get those test scores submitted. Get that scholarship. Then go to them when you know your June test scores, got the acceptance letter and tell them, “I just got accpeted to UA and will be receiving $ scholarship.” That will occur before some have even submitted their apps. </p>

<p>My DD2 that will graduate high school in 4 years will be taking those tests this next Spring. I want her to take them without any pressure to get a feel for them. Then she has plenty of time to prepare for them and will be more at ease the next Spring when she takes them again. </p>

<p>Best of luck</p>

<p>Fingers crossed for all of you waiting for ACT scores! DD took it the first time last Fall after visiting Bama and loving it. Score history: Sept12 29; Dec12 31; Mar13 31; Apr13 32!!! She felt that the April one was the hardest yet and was convinced there was no way she got the 32 so we were pleasantly surprised! So don’t get discouraged! Good luck!</p>

<p>I think waiting so late to begin testing is a bad idea, and it is really none of the GC’s concern when students apply. The GC likely gives this advice so students do not bother her with requests for transcripts. As for testing, we learned from our oldest child to test earlier with the younger siblings. Even though she scored very well and received scores higher than she needed, her testing anxiety was greater because she waited later to test. Not only does it provide them with experience, it helps alleviate test anxiety later, it makes it less likely for there to be schedule conflicts, and it will at least provide a base from which to start. They were much less stressed and were able to achieve scores much higher than they needed very early on and will begin their Senior and junior year without the stress of testing unless they choose to do so. As with every other parenting decision, advice is great, but follow your instincts. Be aware of the testing preferences of schools in which your child is interested and make your decisions from there. </p>

<p>Good luck to everyone awaiting qualifying scores.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>I’d like to reach out to kids and parents who are NOT honors, and are only borderline scholarship.</p>

<p>My son’s 7th grade Duke TIP ACT was 17, so we knew we were college bound. As a Jr, he earned ACT scores comfortably above the median at both Alabama and Auburn. Neither school would send a limo to pick him up, but he was safe.</p>

<p>I believe summer UA application and acceptance was a tremendous positive for my son’s senior year. He struggled with grades and - ahem - certain young-man issues. My view is his acceptance letter from Bama helped steady him through some of the worst of the senior year pressure. </p>

<p>As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the only complication to early application is that the UA acceptance letter will sit on the counter and scream out for a decision. Calling your kiddo’s name, a siren song that will be irresistible for checklist-parents and energetic students.</p>

<p>I’ll leave you with one more prediction, of sorts: If you get accepted and visit the campus, game over. You’ll be Bama-bound. And I’m pretty sure that’s a good thing.</p>

<p>I will echo Bill. DD (and myself) had a much more relaxed (using that term loosely) senior year than many of her classmates. They were dealing with college essays, applications still needing to be turned in, sending of transcripts, test scores, etc. She was done and already knew where she was headed come Fall 2013! Had put in her deposits and all before many of them had even submitted their applications. Then come spring when the others were still not sure about this or that or even if they had been accepted she already knew her time slot to pick housing, who her roommate was and ready for orientation. </p>

<p>Applying to UA early and getting word back so soon was a sigh of relief and able to check the box off that the whole applying to college thing was D-O-N-E! We knew where we were in the whole mess of things.</p>

<p>NC Mom, congrats to your daughter! Looks like for her the 4th time was a charm! :)</p>

<p>Thanks ProudBamaMama! She did it without any real prep either. I truly believe it takes a few tries for most students to get the feel of the test and to do their best. I also disagree with counselors who tell you not to even start taking the ACT until junior or senior year. dD is over the moon and very eager to join the Crimson Tide! Roll Tide!</p>