Tips and Suggestions for Move-in

<p>Alabamamama Where did you send the email? I have not received it and we leave Thursday from Florida for move in Friday morning to presidential</p>

<p>It is amazing how much less space clothes and bedding take up when you suck the air out of them.</p>

<p>^^^ LOL! Why I love my air space saver bags for traveling. Especially in the winter for skiing. Those TSA agents do not want to open up the bag full of socks on our return trip.</p>

<p>gotjenks45:</p>

<p>Per the move-in policies page: [Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/movein/arrival/policies.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/movein/arrival/policies.cfm)
“Before arriving to your residence hall, please place your parking pass (located on the mailer sent to your home in late July) in the driver’s side of the front windshield. This parking pass is required to enter the parking lot of your residence hall.”
I emailed the address at the bottom of that page: <a href=“mailto:housing@sa.ua.edu”>housing@sa.ua.edu</a>
I did find another thread on CC where it sounds like we’re not the only ones who are still waiting for this, and that some people received them over the weekend, or were told they’d be sent out this week. Not sure? Good luck!</p>

<p>We haven’t received ours yet…maybe today?</p>

<p>Bring some bottles of water and Gatorade in a cooler. Bring a small fan to plug in right away. The dorms are air-conditioned but it’s just hot! </p>

<p>We told the “movers” to take everything out of the back of the SUV and they did! Including my luggage!! :slight_smile: I had to rescue it! </p>

<p>Don’t worry, the volunteers are so efficient. Happy move-in!</p>

<p>Can someone remind me of the rules for taking larger items up the elevators? I seem to recall the headboards, carpets and futons/larger chairs have to be taken up after the scheduled move-in times end at 7pm? DD has a headboard and a rug that I’m thinking we’re going to be lugging up the stairs of Tut.</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/movein/arrival/policies.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/movein/arrival/policies.cfm)</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>Rut Roh…DD checks into Tut at 10am Friday morning - on the 9th floor - with headboard/shelves that we built this summer. It’s in pieces, nicely packed, and will have to be assembled in the room. We’re planning on leaving late Friday after we get her settled, around 5 or 6. Will we be permitted to lug the shelves up the stairs, or must we wait until 7pm?</p>

<p>I’m wondering if it is packed tight and will fit on the cart if they will take it up with everything else? The carts at Tut are small so the long side pieces and the back will not fit on the cart at all.</p>

<p>Stacks of dishes and pots and pans are held tight and DO NOT RATTLE WHEN SHRINKED INTO A SPACE BAG!!!</p>

<p>When we took our daughter to school we had a truck and a car packed. We are getting ready take our son to UA and I will be able to get everything into my Honda civic…either I am forgetting a lot of stuff or moving a son is much easier than a daughter!</p>

<p>LOL! Okay TXA, my D bought a cute set of 4 dishes, 4 bowls and a 4 set of silverware for the dorm. She took it to Summer II. It came home with us. She said she got tired of washing dishes by hand. Her and the roomies went to the store and bought cheap paper plates and plasticware. They did not mind the cookie sheet that one of them brouht as they bought the Nestle break and bake cookies and did that almost every night.</p>

<p>I have a couple of questions -How soon before move in do you expect to get the move in card?
Also my d is moving into Ridgecrest South - She doesn’t want a high loft on the bed- but i can’t seem to get a straight answer - do we have to arrange for someone else to loft the bed?And if so - who do we contact?</p>

<p>If your move-in date is Aug. 16, 17, or 18 you will receive your parking pass on Monday or Tuesday in the regular mail. Someone said it looks like a big postcard.</p>

<p>Maybe you could contact housing regarding bed lofting. I thought I read somewhere that the beds would be lofted to their highest level. </p>

<p>In our experience with my D’s 2 move-ins we noticed that the beds were either lofted or not. Wasn’t any rhyme or reason to it.</p>

<p>Hi. As an Alabama resident, we were able to move some of DS things into Honors Dorms yesterday and everyone was super helpful. I had seen someone post about clorox wipes and I highly recommend taking some to wipe down furniture, etc. Wish I had a magic eraser for walls and will be returning with that on next “move-in” day. As for bed lofting/lowering - I think DS filled out a link from the Housing page. Not sure how far in advance you need to do that? Good Luck to all with your travels and move!</p>

<p>Wish we could have fit everything in a Honda civic! I’m sitting in the back seat of an acura mdx SUV crammed between boxes and sorority dresses with a roof top carrier and bike on the back. Way to much stuff!</p>

<p>As to lofting beds, I read somewhere (either CC or Bama website) that staff will be on hand to help you raise or lower beds during move in. Just ask!</p>

<p>We have not received a parking pass, and son has move in Friday. Has anyone received one?</p>

<p>D said she received her parking pass via email today. So did her roommate. D is already moved in but will be helping her roommate move tomorrow after they get there. </p>

<p>D’s plane leaves in the morning for Bama. There better not be a flood of sappy songs on the radio in the morning.</p>