Tips for meeting with UA recruiter?

<p>The UA recruiter for our area emailed to say she will be in town & offered to meet the kid.</p>

<p>We’ll be taking the opportunity to ask questions; are there any questions we should ask that we might not have thought of?</p>

<p>Any tips in general?</p>

<p>(P.S. My kid is actually not enthusiastic about the thought of UA. I told her to ask the recruiter about the things that make her not enthusiastic - for example, she thinks it will be too hot, I said, so ask her what is the weather like, etc.)</p>

<p>Recruiters typically send these emails in mass in order to meet with students and parents who have or may have interest in attending a particular school. If your student has no interest I would think there would be little reason to meet. If there is interest I’m sure the recruiter would be happy to answer whatever questions you and your student may have about campus, programs, opportunities, and the application process. Otherwise, it sounds like it would be a waste of everyone’s time.</p>

<p>Actually we’ve had a couple emails back and forth after I asked the recruiter about UA scholarships. It is a personal invite, not a mass email.
Kid is interested in the scholarship aspect but unenthusiastic about the location so she’s not ready to strike it from her list.
I think it would potentially be a good safety school for her.</p>

<p>I’m saying the originals are mass emails. This is pretty common practice among institutions. If your student has an interest in attending the UA then you should absolutely meet. The recruiter could easily answer questions regarding scholarships, campus life, opportunities, etc. I would suggest visiting the website or links at the top of this forum as well to familiarize yourself with these items. As for the weather, it’s hot and humid during the summer months and generally fairly mild in winter. It does rain fairly often, so rain gear is a good idea. Feel free to ask ?s of the posters here. Most of us have current, former, and/ or future students attending the UA. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>It will be hot the first couple of weeks in August. School starts around the 3rd week of August. Then within a week of Labor Day, the weather sharply changes and is wonderful. </p>

<p>Of course, everything has A/C…the dorms, classrooms, etc.</p>

<p>Fall is awesome in Tuscaloosa. The leaves are turning, and the weather is very moderate…like low 70s.</p>

<p>Winters are mild, but there will be some very cold days (often when the NE gets hit, we get remnants). </p>

<p>Spring is gorgeous - the hardwood trees are blooming.</p>

<p>I doubt that there is any part of the country that has perfect weather during every school day. If your D is willing to tolerate a couple of weeks of weather that she doesnt like, then she will have great weather the rest of the school year.</p>

<p>@scholarme‌ </p>

<p>I don’t have any suggestions on what to discuss with the recruiter, but I wanted to mention that my D’s only reservations about UA were the hot weather and the location (specifically the 12 hour driving distance from home). D didn’t decide on Alabama until the spring of senior year (although it was a very real possibility, so we deposited in October) and it was a tough decision for her. She’s now a rising junior at UA and I can say that neither the weather nor the distance from home have been issues at all. In fact, although she is still not a fan of 90+ temp, 90+ humidity days (most of which she misses because they occur during the summer when she’s not there), she now realizes that they are a small price to pay for the beautiful falls and springs and the moderate winters that she enjoys. She has no regrets about her decision.</p>

<h1>5 You deposited in October? I didn’t realize deposits were so early.</h1>

<p>Does your D drive or fly from home? ( we are around 14 hours away)</p>

<p>^^
People deposit early to have the best housing choices.</p>

<p>That makes sense. Do you know if you forfeit the deposit if you decide not to enroll?</p>

<p>You forfeit the enrollment deposit, but get most of the housing deposit back. Unfortunately you cannot make the mostly refundable housing deposit without making the enrollment deposit first. In our case, it was a good decision to deposit early, and getting an early housing selection time was well worth the risk of losing the enrollment deposit.</p>

<p>Scholarme, my D takes her car to school. She drives at the beginning and end of the school year and for winter and spring breaks. She has flown for Thanksgiving break and the one time she came home for Fall break (after freshman year she decided she’d rather stay on campus for Fall break).</p>