Tips, Tricks, and Rules for Moving In

<p>Remember to bring a Sharpie marker to label EVERYthing so move-out will be easier w/ everyone’s initials on stuff, like game console controllers and remotes and, well, just everything…<br>
Bring both a black and a metallic one (for marking on dark surfaces).</p>

<p>Glad I read this. My D is in RCW and can’t get the wireless on her printer set up and it’s driving her crazy. I’ll look into the bluetooth or a cable.</p>

<p>A tip on packing hanging clothes: There is a quick and easy way to pack hanging clothes even for a rainy or stormy move in without removing the clothes from the hangers. For rainy weather you’ll need a roll of plastic and packing tape. Lay out a piece of plastic and place the hanging clothes on it. Depending upon the bulk of the clothing, you can easily put up to 10 plastic (or other) hangers together. Cut a strip of plastic about 18-20" long (or two panels of bubble wrap rolled up length wise) and wrap the curved hanging part of the hangers very tightly together and tape securely so they will stay in place together. Next, lay another group of up to ten on top of this group with the hangers on the opposite end and repeat the process up to about four times. You don’t want it to be heavier than you can carry. Next, cut the plastic to the appropriate size to fold neatly across the fabric on both sides and leave the ends of the plastic about 10" or so longer on each end of the tops of the hangers. Secure the plastic around the clothing with strips of packing tape so they are fully enclosed. Lastly, twist the extra plastic on each end very tightly and secure it tightly with packing tape. This trick may also be carried out using old bed sheets and ribbon if you don’t have plastic and packing tape. It makes it really easy to pack, transport, and rehang clothing without removing the hangers or having clothing slip off and fall to the ground while moving. :)</p>

<p>my “bamaguy” did not bring many hanging clothes. But thanks for the tip! LOL</p>

<p>I did get him a travel steam iron, and showed him how to use it. My husband and I are taking bets on whether or not it gets used.</p>

<p>Our tip is to do your shopping in Birmingham before you come to T-Town. Most of the shelves were emptied and some items were really hard to find. We received this tip from someone who was shopping in t-town and therefore we decided to do it in B’ham. It was nice and quiet and wonderful. Move in went so smooth it was crazy! The volunteers are truly amazing. Good luck!</p>

<p>Has anyone found the “locking unit” that is mentioned in the bedroom details on the Housing website for Riverside? It gives the dimensions of the desk and adds that it has a “locking unit” but the desk doesn’t even have a drawer?</p>

<p>We did most of our shoping in birm’ham too. Because we were hoping the luggage would arrive on the next flight :(. But we still had to go out in ttown for a few other things at walmart/target/best buy (printer cable, bed rail, garbage can). </p>

<p>The walmart in Ttown is a 24 hour one on Skyland Drive. Went at 6:30am with husband, and it was really nice and quiet. Shelves were being restocked by the Army National Reserve (kidding, but there were hundreds of people restocking!).</p>

<p>teachermom, my son is in RCS-N, but the locking unit is a seperate unit that can be moved around. A door on the bottom has a metal latch thing that you can put a lock on to make it a locking unit. You have to use your own lock though.</p>

<p>His has a small drawer, and a pull out table top extension too. It could easily be used as a bed side table.</p>

<p>My son’s unit in Riverside West did not come w/ such a unit. There is no spot for a padlock, and definitely not a slide-out drawer/tray in anything except the desk. The nightstand has a drawer, but no sliding out tray thing. There is no hardware anywhere on any of the items - not the desk, not the dresser, and not the nightstand. i was going to contact (or have him contact) housing about this. Is this unique to Riverside WEST, or what am I missing?</p>

<p>^^ odd. I would ask. If DS did not have that, we would have been scrambling to find something else. We planned on having that for storage of certian items. Would not have a back up plan if that did not exist.</p>

<p>Daughter did not have a locking unit in Riverside East last year. Just a small unit that was open on the bottom with a drawer above. We bought her a small safe that she could anchor to the bed to keep her valuables in. If you look at the photos on the housing page for the Riversides, you can see the unit. [Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/hall_list.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/halls/hall_list.cfm)</p>

<p>Yeah, others have posted about this last year (not having unit), so I wasn’t 100% surprised (just disappointed, I guess). Why would some suites/dorms have it and some not, if the website says they have it as standard issue.
We were sent a flyer weeks ago to RENT a safe for $$$. Blow that for a joke.
I will call housing after I talk w/ Son about whether he wants to make a deal of it.</p>

<p>Probably cheaper and safer to purchase a small safe for expensive items like cameras.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info re: no locking unit. DD can survive without one, but Housing should remove the mention of it on their website under Riverside…Bedroom…Room Details.</p>

<p>Bumping for the poster who was asking about command strips and where they are allowed. Please note that this thread is last year’s information. As the rules changed from 2011 to 2012, I would imagine they might very well change again and would caution anyone to wait until the 2013 information is published.</p>