Tired of the "look"

<p>Live in an affluent suburb of DC and am tired of the “look” I get from other parents when I say that Alabama is my son’s current #1 choice. Many students from my son’s HS go to top ranked LACs and Universities, mostly in the NE (or at least no further south than NC). </p>

<p>The longstanding stereotypes of southern schools as somehow lesser are still very prevalent here (VA and NC are not really considered the South). Can’t wait to compare stories a year from now when my son will be raving about his college experience and I will be bragging about the wonderfully small bills I am paying for his education.</p>

<p>Was wondering how many other parents out there have dealt with the same reactions when their kids chose Bama?</p>

<p>We live in the DC Metro suburbs and looked at several southern flagships for S2 that are known to be generous with merit aid, including Bama. Not once did I get the look. On average, I’d say probably 50% of the time, I’d get questions about the opportunities and stats required. Parents were very interested in knowing how they could find great options for their high achieving kids also. I had a generic email on my smartphone with links to posted guaranteed merit at a few schools so I could quickly send it to people on the spot who were interested. That’s how often I got asked. My son ended up closer to home. I had hoped to do a sweep of a few schools with S3 (a current Jr) over spring break but he’s currently saying he wants a smaller school…really son?! :frowning: ugghh</p>

<p>I’m not discounting your experience, or anyone else who receives a negative response. It saddens me that people would be that shallow. I just wanted to share that wasn’t our experience at all.</p>

<p>I have gotten “the look” many times. And even a few, “Didn’t he get into W&M?” (my husband and I are both alums and older son is in grad school there).</p>

<p>I pulled the common data set for W&M, VA Tech, UVA and Alabama. UA’s stats are virtually identical to Tech, slightly lower than W&M and UVA except in one spot. Alabama’s yield (% of kids who are offered admission who accept) is higher than every single school in VA.</p>

<p>The stat that really surprised me is class size. Alabama’s average class size is substantially smaller than W&M’s. My son wants smaller classes- so Alabama is his choice. Will he have some large classes at Bama? Sure, but he would have more classes of over 100 students at W&M than he will at Bama.</p>

<p>@jm, Parents will be parents; they will judge initially, but it comes from not knowing the opportunities at Alabama that their DD or DS may have missed…</p>

<p>BAMA treats my DS like they are fortunate to have my son attending UA and not the other way around. Some of these northeast, VA, and NC schools treat these high stat kids with disdain that has been our experience. We have taken our money south to BAMA!</p>

<p>ROLL TIDE Y’ALL!</p>

<p>I am sure many of us CC parents could tell you our stories…just look back at the CC threads from this timeframe in previous years. All I can say is we are thrilled with the UA experience and many of the “snobs” who gave us the looks or comments now seem interested in what we know about Bama for younger siblings.</p>

<p>All one has to do is listen to the news or read a paper (a dying art I know) about the college grads with huge student loan debts or those who can’t find jobs or those who do find jobs but not in their desired career path…rest assured you and your son will be the one’s smiling especially if he is able to get a Masters in 4 years through University Scholars and/or a double or triple major due to UA’s AP/IB/CLEP acceptance…</p>

<p>I know we are all hoping for the economy to get better but in the mean time graduating from a great school with great academics, school spirit and a beautiful campus DEBT free is awesome!</p>

<p>Roll Tide :)</p>

<p>

UA is a fine school, but this statement isn’t really so, unless by “one spot” you mean SAT scores.</p>

<p>We live in Georgia. My DS was accepted at Georgia Tech. When I tell people he is considering UA. I don’t just get the “look”. Most people come right out and say something like “He’s a smart kid,why in the world he want to go there? That makes no sense at all…It’s ok , don’t worry I’m sure once he thinks about it he’ll pick Georgia Tech”… </p>

<p>I’m never quite sure what to say to that so I usually just change the subject.:)</p>

<p>You can avoid some of this for a bit by just saying, “he’s still deciding.”</p>

<p>Once he matriculates, you can tell them that he’s having the time of his life and getting a great education at the same time.</p>

<p>You can comfort yourself by reading this forum - or tell them he wanted to go where the girls were both smart and pretty! </p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/926354-just-smile-nod-smile-nod.html?highlight=nod+and+smile[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/926354-just-smile-nod-smile-nod.html?highlight=nod+and+smile&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>It has been a conversation stopper in my part of the world. Ours is a high income, high achieving students school district, and most go to private northeast schools or Penn State/Pitt/Temple. Our current junior class of @350 had three perfect SAT scores and two more 2380. I think it is expected that our children will go to the best school that accepts them. Thankfully, nobody has said anything rude.</p>

<p>I treat this the same as those who throw their opposing politics in my face…</p>

<p>It took me weeks to learn to raise one brow in that Imperial fashion.</p>

<p>^^ that’s a useful skill. I learned years ago while watching Spock and McCoy on Star Trek. Now that I have bangs, all my talent is wasted.</p>

<p>Thanks. </p>

<p>I use it more often than the “touch tongue to nose” skill. Although, I have been assured that this is the more rare of the two.</p>

<p>Among people. </p>

<p>Cattle can not raise a brow in isolation.</p>

<p>My kids tell me I have a subtle but effective “look” I use when people are treading on thin ice with their comments or opinions. I think it might come in handy if some clueless parent were to make negative UA comments to me. </p>

<p>Thankfully, the kids whose opinions matter to DD2 are actually jealous that she found such a great scholarship package at a school she clearly loves. What their parents think is of little consequence to her.</p>

<p>

</p>

<ol>
<li><p>“Of course it doesn’t make sense to you. But then again your top flight university apparently never taught you to do your research before opening your mouth and inserting your foot. He’s going there for the same reason the rest of the parade of smart kids are going there: to get an awesome educational experience, du-uh.”</p></li>
<li><p>“Yes, I understand. Superior return on investment never made sense to you.”</p></li>
<li><p>“Because we’re not participants in The Great College Hoax. What, you don’t read Forbes?”</p></li>
<li><p>“You really don’t think he should go there? What did you discover during your personal visit there that we missed on ours?”</p></li>
<li><p>“Why would he go there? Oh, I dunno. Maybe the great Honors College, excellent teacher:student ratio, hands-on learning experiences, award-winning service culture, unbeatable merit aid, personalized attention, gorgeous campus, first-rate infrastructure, private honors dorm suites, vibrant school spirit, visionary leadership, incredible recreation and extracurricular opportunities, generous AP credit, no worries about graduating in four years, creative hybrid majors opportunities, great weather, a plethora of top-notch academic peers, and the opportunity to experience a rich and amazing new culture. Yeah, that’s why. Thanks for asking.”</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Snobbery is always grounded in fear. Roll Tide. :)</p>

<p>^^ What Malanai said. :D</p>

<p>The funniest experience I had was at back to school night. Another parent came up to me and said that her daughter had told her that my S was going to Bama, and she thought that was such a great joke. I kind of looked at her quizzically and said “He is going to Bama.” Blank stare. Then she says, “No, you guys are joking, right? He’s not really going there.” Like she seriously COULD. NOT. FATHOM. that I was serious. It cracked me up. Her daughter and my son have been in school together since elementary school and are both at the top of the class. I’m sure she assumed he would only be applying to HYP etc.</p>

<p>I do get “the look” or comments sometimes, but most people have been very supportive and happy for him. It took a little while for our parents to come on board, but once it was a done deal they have seemed to embrace it.</p>

<p>I also live in what could be considered “an affluent suburb of DC.”</p>

<p>Anyone who would give a “look” to any other parent when discussing college options or planning is exhibiting, at the very least, very bad manners. Their behavior is a reflection on them, not you.</p>

<p>However, that being said, anyone who states or believes that “UA’s stats are … slightly lower than W&M and UVA” is, IMHO, themselves being disingenuous or engaging in very wishful thinking.</p>

<p>Here are the “stats” for acceptances from our local high school:</p>

<p>UA GPA 3.2 SAT 1120
UVA GPA 4.2 SAT 1420</p>

<p>We can parse around the definition of “slightly” all you want but the difference between the two schools is a whole full grade and 300 SAT points.</p>

<p>Alabama may be a fine institution and a viable option for many students. But each and every school exists in its own environment and each has its own mission. Trying to equate one with another, I think, is a disservice to both.</p>

<p>Hunt- I guess you are right. Didn’t mean to insult Alabama. I pulled common data set and for percentage of kids who scored between 700-800 on SAT, Bama has 13% Crit Reading, 9% Math and 7% writing to Virginia Tech’s 7%, 9% and 3% in the same areas.</p>

<p>I am being somewhat facetious here of course. Yes, Tech’s overall SAT is slightly higher. But for most parents on this forum, our kids are in the Honors College at Bama and so comparing those SAT scores are more realistic.</p>

<p>I got the look alot last year when I told others my val. son was going to Alabama. A lot of people asked “why” but even though they didn’t, I always felt I needed to tell them what a great school and a great opportunity it was for him. Now I just proudly say he’s at Alabama and leave it at that. I know its a great school and a good fit for him and that is enough now for me. However, I am guilty of the look sometimes myself. When I hear that “smart” kids are going to our nearby state university (which is probably near the lowest one our state has) I just have to hold my tongue as living at home might be the only option. Its harder to control “the look” when I am surprised with their announcement. I will try harder in the future.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>No, actually it IS a fine institution. The college guidance counselors from my son’s high school, a top-tier private college prep academy that routinely sends kids to HYP, Stanford, etc., visited 'Bama and were blown away by the school. They now routinely recommend it to students and their families.</p>

<p>I attended Cal Berkeley when it was considered the top public university in the nation. My son is having a better, richer undergraduate experience than I did. If you’re a top scholar looking to study/learn with other top scholars and experience a challenging/fulfilling academic opportunity, you’ll find it at Alabama regardless of the statistics.</p>