To anyone who's interested, DS's final apps count and current status

Glad to know it just wasn’t DS. I have two more sons 24’ and 27’ to get through this process and I have learned so much already but what I was told to expect and what happened are two different things. Maybe its the test-optional factor that has skewed results? I know nothing is guaranteed but thought DS had a decent chance at his top choices. He’s happy though, and for that I am thankful.

1 Like

UCLA does not consider an applicants level of interest nor race/ethnicity in the admission decisions. If he was a recruited athlete then the coaches support would have helped.

2 Likes

No one has a good chance at those schools, even though with perfect GPA’s and test scores.

1 Like

I do think it is likely that some schools may not have weighed your student’s racial identification. In some states in the US, there is a significant population which could claim some NA ancestry. Accordingly, some colleges only count it if it is followed up not just by tribal enrollment, but actual tribal identification and involvement in NA events. Since OP lives outside the US, I would expect it was difficult to establish involvement with such a heritage.

If OP is so interested in large urban schools, why not just attend your local one, UBC?

1 Like

some great choices.

1 Like

DS likes the idea of US schools. He has close ties to his First Nation and participates well when we get home. He’s enamored of US Baseball.

1 Like

Quick question: Does the clock start ticking on your 5 years to play ball in UG the moment you start at uni or can you redshirt for a year?

I do not doubt it. Merely pointing out that he may not have sufficient evidence of such involvement to satisfy the AOs at some schools. All the schools on his list wish to improve NA representation, particularly among men, and there isn’t an unlimited pool of very high-scoring, strong gpa NA men from which to draw.

1 Like

For D1 the 5 year clock starts when you start as a full time student. You have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. There are some exceptions for religious missions and military service. You can stretch your eligibility into grad school but you don’t get extra time. (That is, one can complete 3 year of eligibility in 4 years of undergrad, then use the final year in grad school). Very common in some sports for athletes not to compete in year 1 and graduate in 5 years (or continue competing in grad school).

There are cases in which the school can get a year added to the 5 year rule but it’s less common.

NCAA made some temporary changes to these rules due to Covid, adding a year to the clock and eligibility for most athletes. But I don’t think that’ll apply to incoming athletes. (Except that there are a lot more sixth year seniors and will be for a few more years).

D3 is a bit different if I recall, along the lines of the clock only running while enrolled. Someone here will know the details.

2 Likes

I think it is ‘5 years to play 4’ once you take any college level courses after high school graduation. The clock starts even for part time community college students but doesn’t include a post grad year at a boarding school. There are some exceptions given for injuries during those 5 years, and as you said for covid.

2 Likes

Congratulations not just on your kids acceptances but what are impressive personal achievements.

So he applied to 38 schools and all Ivies but Cornell. Just curious why not Cornell?

Good luck this week. Has he strategized what order he will check responses?

1 Like

You could be right about part time. I’ve always thought full time enrollment was the trigger but I haven’t ever looked at the fine print. The transfer guide, link below, says full time (page 18) BUT I would check with NCAA eligibility center or compliance officer at the school directly on this if there’s any question. They should be able to point to the rule and any caveats.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/FourYearGuide.pdf

1 Like

We ran out of time for Cornell, I am still a bit bummed about that! But he had a myriad of practices, IA and IOs that needed attention and we couldn’t get to it credibly. We almost were going to send it in after the deadline but that wouldn’t have been right.

2 Likes

Mostly need based, you can tell by the list, that other than the UCs and most of the colleges we applied to were need based.

1 Like

Update: Vanderbilt: Rejected
USC: Viterbi Pathways Program

3 Likes

I’ve been following since you first posted; congratulations on his acceptances so far! It looks like he’ll have some great options. What were his uwgpa, test scores and rank (or decile)? Did he apply TO to every school?

@Tigerwife92 Our school doesn’t rank but he’s top 10% for sure UW3.87 via spantran and4.3Wt, I believe his SAT score was around 1440 or 1450 and I am not sure the decile. Thanks for your interest! He cast such a wide net to give himself a chance, I thought he was crazy but I guess he had more of a sense of the cycle than I thought, if we kept it to the 10 I first wanted, he would have only gotten in to two schools, LOL!

3 Likes

He has some great options already, and likely more to come

1 Like

This has been a crazy cycle for sure; let us know when he decides, good luck!!