To anyone who's interested, DS's final apps count and current status

Update; Georgetown and Tufts Denied! Sad!

Shut out of Ivies and Duke! Now we have to sift through the offers and make a decision.
Thanks everyone for your support!

8 Likes

Thank you for sharing the updates and best wishes for the future!

2 Likes

Thanks for keeping us updated. Iā€™m sure your son is disappointed in some of his results but luckily he has some great options too! Iā€™ll be curious to hear where he ends up. My D is a junior at Rice so if you have any Rice questions, let me know! Any chance heā€™s attending Owl Days in April?

3 Likes

Thank you for your update. I am sorry to hear about yesterdayā€™s denials, but he has some great choices! Do let us know what he chooses.

1 Like

Congrats on the choices he has. Does he have the option to play baseball at any of them? That might make some of his options very attractive to him.

I read some time ago (but tried to google and found nothing so maybe Iā€™m crazy) that First Nation registration isnā€™t treated the same as a US tribal registration for a bump in admissions (I think it was about Dartmouth, but again, not sure). Did anyone indicate that to you? Wondering if his applying as a US citizen with a Canadian tribal registration caused some confusion with AOs?

Anyway, good going. Hope he is playing baseball somewhere next spring.

1 Like

We are looking into whatā€™s available or possible for him to play! Yesterday he was accepted off the waitlist at UC Santa Cruz! Crazy cycle for sure! He as some hard decisions to make!

13 Likes

DS will be attending Rice University in the Fall! Thank you everyone for your thoughts and support throughout this admissions cycle! As you can read from my handle ā€œgoingforthreeā€ I now will turn my attention to DS #2 who is finishing Grade 10!

23 Likes

Fantastic outcome! Congratulations to all.

Congrats! My daughter is a rising senior at Rice and says that making the choice to go there is the best decision she has made so far in her life. She is already sad about graduating.

Welcome to the Owl family!

3 Likes

Congrats! My DS liked Rice a lot, but is on the waitlist. Itā€™s the only waitlist heā€™s waiting for (also waitlisted at Vanderbilt, Carnegie Mellon and Northeastern). Interestingly, after being postponed, he got into Michigan RD, and got in RD to Duke and Cornell. Heā€™ll be attending Duke. Obviously heā€™s a different candidate than your son, but itā€™s just so fascinating how kids can have different results at different places. Thank you for being so open about your sonā€™s journey. Iā€™m sure heā€™ll love Rice!

5 Likes

Thank you, it has been an interesting ride! All said, I am happy that it is over. Now itā€™s filling out all the forms, checking health records and seeing what is still outstanding, taking the engineering diagnostic test, finding out if we can do the TB testing here at home prior doing it in the US? Not sure how fast and hard that rule is. Baseball is still up in the air, he will try out/or try to walk-on or join club baseball. He wasnā€™t willing to give up Rice for a solid spot on a D3 team. Riceā€™s residential college swung the pendulum their way. You son has had some amazing success this decision cycle! Duke outright denied my son but overall, very happy with his results! Does he play baseball or other sports?

I would love to hear any tips you have for me, a new Rice Owl parent. Wondering about flying down, should we go several days earlier or just one or two? Which airport is best? How often did she leave campus? Should we go for the Rice health plan if we donā€™t have US insurance, how much is it? Does he need some formal wear as an engineering student? Is there a lot of pressure to drink? I have lots of questions.

1 Like

Iā€™ll send you a pm!

No, DS played tennis (JV 9th and 10th, Varsity 11th) but isnā€™t really an athlete. He loves sports though, so Duke is exciting for him. Heā€™s an engineer, but has some varied interests and had a pretty cool science research project (2 years in our district) that was about transportation and housing prices (economics). His admission to Duke, as I said, was unexpected, but heā€™s quickly come to love it. Thanks again for being so open about your journey!

1 Like