To Bring a Car or Not?

<p>S is a sophomore moving into The Lofts. He has a car, but was not allowed to bring it Freshman year. We are now weighing the pros/cons of letting him take his car this year. His 3 roommates will all have cars on campus.<br>
Any thoughts?</p>

<p>P.S. I asked him to order a parking permit, just in case.</p>

<p>Has this cropped up because <em>he</em> now wants a car? (and does he pay for the car expenses?) Have him put up a list of the pros/cons himself and put the case forward to you…or has he already done so? Some kids underestimate how much time may be needed to maintain a car over 8 months, especially if it needs some TLC (checking air in tires every month is a bare minimum). I know having a car at campus would be a kind of luxury for my own S, but he is not yet responsible or interested enough to have one.</p>

<p>If he’s going to be at The Lofts, then he might need one. What’s the weekend and after hours availability of a shuttle to campus?</p>

<p>When our older son moved off campus, he needed his car because at that time, his complex didn’t have night/weekend shuttles to campus.</p>

<p>I would suggest a car since he is going to be living off campus since he already has a car. The shuttles stop running at 6 pm on weekdays and don’t run on weekends and even during the hours that they are running drop you off at the Transit Center where you have to catch another bus to get to your destination. After 6 pm and on weekends you can use the Crimson Ride, but it gets really old waiting for the Crimson Ride. My daughter, who has had to use the Crimson Ride frequently due to her rehearsal hours was offered the off campus buy out yesterday, but chose not to accept because living in Bryce Lawn literally across the street from Moody was far preferable to her than moving off campus without a car and navigating another year of spotty Crimson Ride service.</p>

<p>Take the car. We let our son take his as a freshman last year. I am NOT a fan of the buses and 348-ride. They can’t be realistically relied upon in my opinion. The lack of service during move-in last year was very disappointing to me. UA has big room for improvement in dining availability and transportation, in my opinion.</p>

<p>Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk HD</p>