to everyone who goes to UW...

<p>do you like it? i cant decide if i want to go!!! tell me what you like or dont like about it please. thanks mucho!</p>

<p>I'm a graduate student at UW, so I'll try to give you the impression I have about Madison. Pros: great research opportunity, decent living expenses, lots to do, great school spirit. Cons: wind, wind, wind, I'm getting sick of the wind making it 10-20 degrees colder outside than it should be. Overall, I'm glad I chose UW for my PhD, but do miss some things I got used to in Chapel Hill (where I got my MS degree; i.e. good Mexican food).</p>

<p>However, I've heard great things about parties (if that's your kind of thing), but there is so much to do outside of the party scene too (such as art, the zoo, cultural events, etc.). Too bad I don't have time to experience it all!</p>

<p>wind isnt that big of an issue, it sucks but everyone has it...for being in the middle of nowhere we get a lot of it here.</p>

<p>i really think i should give it a try, i posted my experience in the transfer forum, and honestly if me going there doesnt work out, i can just transfer back to this school, you know?</p>

<p>im really looking for the overall experience</p>

<p>i wish i knew how much of a difference it makes to employers or grad schools on WHERE you got your degree. is it a HUGE difference, me getting my degree at UW compared to my current school, WIU?</p>

<p>tsiguy96:</p>

<p>It all really depends on what you want to do after graduation. WIU likely has a lot more name recognition in the region, but if you want to go straight to work, in say, LA, you may have to jump through some hoops. After you get your first job, and work it for awhile, where you actually got your degree means less and less. </p>

<p>Have you visited UW? It's definately worth a weekend visit to make sure the atmosphere is right for you, even sit in on a few classes to see if it jives right with you. And yes, you could always transfer back if it doesn't work for you.</p>

<p>Was an undergrad at UW eons ago- great, you can find other threads with info, son likes it now. What is WIU-don't recognize the letters?</p>

<p>western illinois university</p>

<p>ophiolite, the school makes up 60% of the towns population, the ONLY shopping center we have here is walmart, so needless to say the job market in the region isnt a big deal :P</p>

<p>i want to move to the south after grad school, i want to become a high level personal trainer/strength coach, preferably for a big college or pro team.</p>

<p>im a kinesiology major</p>

<p>im applying for spring 07 so needless to say sitting in on classes isnt possible :P</p>

<p>but i will be going to wisconsin this saturday to drive around town and see what its like, stop in at a few places etc...</p>

<p>The final exam week starts this coming Saturday so the parties are likely minimal. If you do visit, definitely swing by the Union to grab a beer (if you are of legal age), grab some ice cream at Babcok Hall (<a href="http://foodsci.wisc.edu/store/icecream.php)%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://foodsci.wisc.edu/store/icecream.php)&lt;/a>, and/or just take a walk on the State Street. Skip the class room visit just knowing that most classes are going to be vigorous and demanding. :)</p>

<p>I don't know where WIU stands in the big scheme of things. I could only attest that Wisconsin alumnus enjoy national, and even international, recognition, in both academic and industry. And they are everywhere! E.g. some 1200+ alumnus who live in Dallas-Fort Worth area go from the city mayor to CEO of several Fortune 500s and a bunch of "regular" people. So I would definitely encourage you to attend if you are admitted. Good luck!</p>

<p>the only things holding me back are
a. i dont know anyone on campus, and it would be nice to have like a "guide" of sorts to show me the ins and outs (my frat has a chapter on campus...but its kinda weird not knowing any of them personally)
b. i dont know the campus at all, im not registered for spring classes or housing (i dont want to live in dorms and most of the apartments wisc has are way the hell out of the way)</p>

<p>so i dont know what to do! if i wait too long i will end up just staying at WIU</p>

<p>There are ALWAYS people looking for roommates or sublets off campus. Go to the Housing Office and just look at the boards in the Union. Or the school papers.</p>

<p>i went and visited today, and felt absolutely lost. it was soo big i didnt know what to do, but i drove around a bit and visited the chapter of my fraternity that is there...</p>

<p>it was so big though, the campus i mean.<br>
the only things holding me back from going are:
1. cost
2. my girlfriend (its serious, and i dont really want an LDR..)</p>

<p>everything else is awesome though. any help? maybe i should delay entrance until fall 07, but by then i will have nearly 70 credit hours and they wont all transfer...</p>

<p>tsiguy96, I afraid only you could help managing your LDR. It is do-able but both parties will have to make the commitment. </p>

<p>Yes, Madison feels large and "lost" for many people at first. So, it takes time (usually not long) to find your own niches. Your frat chapter is a good starting point. Admittedly, you won't find many hand holding here. Maybe, we all seem lost ourselves. :) So, learn to find your ways around and utilize the vast resources of UW. That survival skill will serve you well not only in UW but also with your life and career later. Good luck with your decision.</p>

<p>Pros: it's big and very active... lots of clubs that suit your interests to start building that career resume... if you want to get lost, you can; if you dont want to get lost, you won't... people are friendly... generally safe campus with the awesome SAFE program.. free bus passes... good class selection... good sports... you get to walk around campus a lot between classes...</p>

<p>Cons: WINTER-- not fun walking to and from classes... lack of diversity (at least in the nursing track).... some of the gen ed classes are very large, which leads to the UW setting up discussion sections... they're good, but they take up more time... sometimes the general feel of Madison (the city as a whole) is stuck up... you'll pick up a newspaper and read snide comments about a McDonalds closing down... not a big deal, but sometimes it leaves you wondering "huh?"</p>

<p>P.S. If you're worried about getting "lost" your first semester, join a First Year Interest Group. In a FIG, you take 3 classes with the same 20-22 people who share your major. By the end of September, you'll have 20-22 close friends...</p>

<p>sorry, hanging out with freshman in a FIG doesnt interest me...as bad as that may sound, freshman always feel like they have something to prove instead of just being chillax and enjoying school...</p>

<p>i dont care about a stuck up city, im not going to UW because it is or isnt diverse, so the lack of diversity doesnt bother me (nor would an abundance of diversity)</p>

<p>what about parking?? <--huge</p>

<p>also, the school told me i would be in Ogg hall for my first semester, is that place alright? are they close to a dining hall? i like food :)</p>

<p>Ogg is dining hall adjacent. A bit rundown because they are tearing it down soon.</p>

<p>I heard that the new Ogg will be ready by fall.</p>

<p>I used to live at Witte, across the street from Ogg. As Barrons pointed out, Ogg is a bit rundown but seems like a popular place to meet foreign students (so it is a plus if that interests you). Both Ogg and Witte are two blocks away from State St so access to foods (and parties) is excellent!</p>

<p>in terms of size, would anyone here be comfortable saying its close to UCSB or UCLA (if anyone has visited or seen both schools)?</p>

<p>im applying to be in either the Towers or Highlander dorms, they both look really nice and seem to be exactly what i want. any recommendation either way?</p>

<p>i have orientation on the 17th, hopefully its not all freshman (booooo freshman)</p>

<p>btw i have the damn theme stuck memorized from being on hold with UW for so long</p>

<p>tsiguy, so you arent going to WIU?</p>