To Submit, or Not to Submit: Any "Lessons Learned" for the Class of 23?

For a majority student from NY with 3.9/4.0 UW GPA, highest rigor (IB Diploma), unique/strong ECs, presumably good recs, and essays… what is the lowest SAT/ACT you would submit to highly-selective, test optional colleges?

1 Like

A score well above the school’s median

3 Likes

Can you be more specific? How well above, and should we look at median from last cycle, even if college admitted 50%+ of class without test scores?

Ideally, you would hit at the 75th percentile of scores pre-covid, but if that isn’t possible, then hopefully one can be at least at this year’s median. Below that would be test optional.

3 Likes

For the colleges at the very top, I probably wouldn’t bother with anything less than 1470, unless there’s a mitigating circumstance. Are you hooked?

3 Likes

Take the test and apply to colleges that fit your profile including the test scores. Thinking that the only thing stopping you from getting admitted is your test score is highly unlikely.

8 Likes

Thank you. Agree with your approach. First test score is 1500. Asking to determine whether to repeat. The middle 50% has skyrocketed in the past 2 cycles. Not trying to shoot beyond target. That’s why I’m asking.

Not hooked! Not privileged. Hard working, full pay.

1 Like

Not related to your question, but if you and your family are full-pay at $80,000/year colleges, a lot of people, including a very high percentage of those who work in admissions offices, might argue that even if you’ve faced extreme adversity in other areas of your life, you are indeed privileged economically.

Related to your question: the advice to submit scores if they are at or above the 75th percentile is sound. The median for the entire entering class is not the same as the median for unhooked students.

6 Likes

1500 is an excellent score, definitely submittable anywhere. Since there is still plenty of time, take one more try at it, just in case, after a few weeks of practice/review of missed Qs. GCs in general, in our area, are recommending sending if it is within the 25-75%ile of the pre-covid CDS. Math vs Erbw matters, not just composite! Ideally both would be in that 25-75%ile. Not submitting a 1500 and instead going TO is a mistake.

10 Likes

A score of 1500 should be submitted everywhere. There are only a handful of colleges where it’s below the median score.

One caveat here is if one subscore is much lower and might be considered important. For example a low math score for an engineering applicant.

As for test optional, almost all highly selective colleges have a lower acceptance rate for those who didn’t submit scores compared to those who submitted scores. It’s likely that in the aggregate test submitters are stronger applicants than test optional ones. But there is also a possibility that test submission makes it slightly easier to be admitted.

7 Likes

A 1500 supports an application that says “I am capable”.

The theory behind TO (when it was assumed that all students had tested) was that students should not have to submit scores that do not corroborate what the student is saying about themselves which is “I am smart and capable.”

Not your case. Agree that if you have a lower subscore in one section that pertains to your area of interest, you may want to retake, but otherwise, I would see this as done.

6 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks! 760 math, 740 ERBW

2 Likes

I agree with those saying a 1500 is worth submitting anywhere. But there are lower scores that also say “I am capable” but still shouldn’t be submitted, given the way TO has skewed the medians. My S22 (URM, 3.6 UW in all AP/honors at strong suburban public, varsity basketball, full pay) got a 1400 (700/700) and opted not to submit it to NYU ED, even though that score is basically in line with his other stats. He did submit it to Fordham EA. Admitted to both.

3 Likes

@SouthYankie where have you seen this information published ?

A few colleges have provided the percentage of applicants and admitted students who were test optional. In almost all cases, the percentage among applicants was higher.

I also saw a list of about a dozen schools compiled with this data somewhere but can’t find it right now.

1 Like

You may be right but if say 40% of admitted students went test optional that does not necessarily translate to a lower admit rate for test optional students.

For example, Boston College released this information: “In Boston College’s second year of test-optional admission, 43% of applicants and 67% of admitted students submitted SAT or ACT scores.”

2 Likes

This anecdote is irrelevant. OP said no hook…your son was hooked. Completely different situations there.

2 Likes