To Submit, or Not to Submit: Any "Lessons Learned" for the Class of 23?

Yonkers6thBoro, meet Yonkers6thBoro:

I don’t see how this contradicts anything I’ve said in this thread or elsewhere…… and you’ll see in that very same quoted post, I suggested that the OP send the score to those four colleges.

The OP did not initially reveal the names of the colleges he was interested in. Once he did, not a single person on the thread recommended withholding a 1500 from Tufts, Wes, Mid, or Ham.

So…….

So, what’s the beef? I don’t see a disagreement here.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for the helpful input. The parent brain trust (and willingness to share) in this community never ceases to amaze me.

Update: She took it again (makeup in late March) and got scores back: 1520 (E: 740 M; 780). To answer some of the questions you’ve asked, she likes Tufts and Wes for open curriculum. Wants to double major or major/minor in either civics or media studies and studio art. She’s going 4 years of all 5 core subjects at the highest level and her ECs/elective academics are heavy on persuasive art and activism.

We’ll visit Tufts/Wes again in the fall to be sure she loves enough to ED. She added Skidmore, Hamilton, and Haverford to the list (sadly, most are also reaches). We’ll look for several target/likely schools. Open to any suggestions – within 4-6 hour driving distance of NYC.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Here are some schools that might be worth looking into. I focused on schools that would be likeliest for admission, but there are also some that are less likely. I looked for noted strength/involvement in civics, communications, political science, studio art, etc. Just because I didn’t write that it was noted for a particular strength doesn’t mean it may not have strong offerings. I just didn’t find any in a quick glance, but looking more in-depth at any schools of interest would obviously be best.

Extremely Likely (80-99%)

• Ithaca (NY): strong in communication, and lots of studio art offerings
  • Alfred (NY): very strong in studio art
  • Allegheny (PA ): has an Office for Civic Engagement and The Center for Political Participation
  • Elizabethtown (PA ): has Center for Community & Civic Engagement
  • SUNY Geneseo: Usually named as a Lead Institution in civic engagement, a number of Newman Civic Fellows, etc.
  • SUNY Cortland: Institute for Civic Engagement
  • SUNY Oswego: Has an institutional standing committee of Civic Engagement, a student association Office of Civic Engagement, and various other opportunities
  • Wagner (NY): Center for Leadership and Community Engagement
  • Stonehill (MA): Martin Institute for Law and Society; Office of Community-Based Learning

Likely (60-79%)

• Gettysburg (PA ): Center for Public Service & Fielding Center for Presidential Leadership Study

Toss-Up (40-59%)

• American (D.C.): Strong in communications & political science. American wants lots of demonstrated interest, and if it doesn’t think your daughter is sincerely interested, I would anticipate a rejection. If she shows really strong, sincere interest, I would move this up to the likely category.
  • Vassar (NY): Noted strengths in studio art and political science.

Possible (20-39%)

• Georgetown (D.C.): Office of Community Engagement, Institute of Politics & Public Service, Baker Center for Leadership and Governance. Noted strength in political science.

Less Likely (less than 20%)

• Swarthmore (PA ): Has the Lang Center for Civic and Social Responsibility. Noted strength in political science.
  • U. of Pennsylvania: Has the Netter Center for Community Partnership; Civic House; and the Penn Project for Civic Engagement. Strong in public policy, studio art, and communication.
3 Likes

This is terrific. Thanks again!

1 Like

colgate, union, trinity,

1 Like

Tufts is much easier to get into in terms of acceptance rates for kids who apply to the joint MFA/Tufts program. Not sure of the exact name. We have a family member who just got accepted. Would likely not have reached the bar in terms of Tufts academics (not even close) without the art. So if your student is interested in studio art @ Tufts then you should look at these details. I think she said acceptance rate was 40% v. whatever Tufts normally is.

WOW … that is interesting information. My daughter has spent more time on academics and other ECs than a dedicated studio artist. As a result her portfolio is probably not as impressive as someone who did the opposite.

Do you mind sharing where you found that 40% statistic (vs 9% overall acceptance)?

In the article Tufts released with their Class of 2026 stats, the Director of Admissions was quoted as saying … “Tufts continues to appeal to aspiring artists drawn to the vitality of the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, a part of the School of Arts and Sciences since 2016. Class of 2026 applications for the B.F.A. program were up 21%, continuing an upward trajectory. Over the past three years, applications have grown by 90%, outpacing the growth of overall undergraduate applications.”

This made us think MFA would also be a challenging route.

Thank you!

I looked it up on their web page and was very surprised as Tufts is pretty hard to get into. But then again they likely have a self selecting group that applies. I’m sure you could google it. I stated the number of applicants and accepted. I think it was 40/43%.

Here’s an old CC thread which talks about this as a back door. Honestly, not really a back door since you need artistic talent and a portfolio. But might be lighter on the academics for these applicants? IDK.

I found this link and another which says it’s 80% Don’t know how old the data is. But what I read was in the 40ish %. You could ask them directly.

https://www.prepscholar.com/sat/s/colleges/School-of-the-Museum-of-Fine-Arts-admission-requirements

Maybe Bryn Mawr if interested in Haverford since they are very close and share a class catalog? Also allows for classes at Swarthmore and Penn.

1 Like

There is no mention of Tufts on that page, which makes me think that the data is from pre-Tufts days and not useful any more.

1 Like

Maybe. But when I looked on the Tufts site very recently I was able to find hard data. Definitely worth looking on the Tufts page for kids who are interested in the program.

1 Like

Don’t overlook Hamilton’s open curriculum!

3 Likes

Thank you! Love Hamilton…also a “reach”