To Suit or Not to Suit

<p>Would it be beneficial for my freshman S to have a suit and/or sportcoat and slacks at school? He does not plan to pledge a fraternity this year, but I was wondering if it would be beneficial to have dress clothing for any particular Honors College events, co-op interviews, etc.</p>

<p>My son is bringing his. He will use it for religious services and maybe if he needs to present research in the honors college or maybe if there is a semi formal dance. You never know.</p>

<p>Yes, always have some sort of business attire outfit for occasions like those you mention. Having a business casual attire outfit for less formal events wouldn’t be a bad idea, either. Formal wear can be rented in the somewhat unlikely case you need it.</p>

<p>My kids have had several school-related occasions where they had to have a suit…or sportcoat, slacks, shirt/tie, so …YES.</p>

<p>Don’t forget the dress shoes, too.</p>

<p>Yep, you need those dress shoes for the career fairs, as my son found out. Luckily, his roommate and he both have big feet!</p>

<p>Nice shoes, a suit and/or sportcoat and slacks, and a tie are very useful items to have at UA. Keep in mind that people in the South tend to dress more formally than those in other parts of the US (particularly the West Coast). That said, students can often satisfy the dress code with clothing that better represents their style/culture.</p>