To Those at TAMU- How is it?

<p>I'm seriously considering TAMU as my college of choice. I just have a few questions:
The general stereotype of TAMU (Sorry) is white, stuck up, conservative rednecks. Now while I consider myself conservative and I might like that environment to a degree, I don't want to be conformed to a very strict and boron lifestyle. I like variety and diversity also. Would you say it lives up to the stereotype?</p>

<p>Second, another stereotype is that college station is boring. It's in the middle of nowhere, and there's nothing there but the college. Is that true? I want lots of things to do and opportunities to enjoy life. I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere. What does it have to rival Austin's fun environment?</p>

<p>Third, I love football. I enjoy every second of it. However, school should still come first. How's the environment during football season?</p>

<p>Fourth, Are there any of you who chose TAMU over UT? (I'm going into engineering, so the colleges are academically comparable)
Why TAMU over UT? And if you chose, would you change your decision?</p>

<p>And finally, if you could go to any school in America, where would it be? TAMU, or somewhere else?</p>

<p>Thanks guys!</p>

<p>Come on anyone?</p>

<p>“The general stereotype of TAMU (Sorry) is white, stuck up, conservative rednecks.” - General stereotype among who? Bigoted, intolerant liberals? Being conservative myself, I’ve known that most of the time when I hear that description it’s coming from someone who is close-minded and resents the conservative point of view. I’m sure TAMU is nothing like that. I’ve read enough, & know people who have attended there who are Hispanic, black, Jewish etc. I’m not sure why someone would pigeonhole TAMU like that. As for rivaling Austin’s fun environment well that’s a whole other animal. You can’t compare, but suffice to say you are less than 2 hours away from both Austin & Houston so you can pic your poison on weekends.
By the way the mere fact that TAMU leans to the conservative side of things makes it attractive enough for me that I will be applying there in January for Fall 2014. So God willing, there will be one more Hispanic there in the Fall. ;-)</p>

<p>Well it’s something I’ve heard from teachers, counselors, and future students haha. There’s a chance I’ll go there too, maybe I’ll see ya there</p>

<p>I currently attend a&m for mechanical engineering. I’m Hispanic and I can tell you that most of the people in the engineering school are white but not rednecks or anything of that sort. I’ve never had a problem getting along with my classmates and no one has ever said anything racist to me or made any racist remarks. </p>

<p>I’m sure there is more to do in Austin than at CS. I love TAMU and the reputation it has in engineering. If you end up deciding to come to a&m I can tell you you won’t regret it.</p>

<p>Thanks, that’s possibly my major. Overall, you enjoy it fully? You’re never bored or upset at the rural environment? And you wouldn’t change if you could?</p>

<p>Again, I’m not concerned about the racism that might be pushed onto me, honestly that stuff doesn’t face me. It’s the environment. The redneck old fashioned conservatives. In country town. That’s all I fear.</p>

<p>No wouldn’t change for any other school. Mostly bc internship and career opportunities are amazing. You are pretty much made of you grad from mech engr at a&m. At least that’s what everyone I talk to tells me.</p>

<p>But no I usually never get bored. I’m not much of a partier and conservative so a&m is good for me in comparison to tu lol</p>

<p>Have you made a visit to campus? I think that would help you make your decision. TAMU/College Station is a conservative area but I don’t think it would be forced upon you. Some of the most welcoming and friendly people you will meet in this area. I wouldn’t really consider college station a “redneck” or “small country town.” Maybe at one time, if you have heard that stereotype from former aggies, but College Station has grown! Sure it’s not as big as Austin, but you can find things to do. And just like someone mentioned earlier, Austin and Houston are only a 1-2 hour drive away.</p>

<p>By the way before anyone takes my comments out of context (I have had that happen on a few occasions) I’m trying to make the comparison of say someone asking about Reed College (a fine & rigorous institution) and having someone answer “the general stereotype is they are a bunch of pot smoking, limp wristed liberals…” Well you would have to question the validity of a comment like that. Regarding TAMU most of the comments I’ve heard, & I come from South Texas a region FULL of blue Democrats (the heavily hispanic Rio Grande Valley) are along the lines of its friendly, conservative, and very community oriented.</p>

<p>That’s exactly where I come from so I’m probably hearing what you heard hah</p>

<p>I second the campus visit. You should plan a visit to both TAMU and UT. They are both fantastic schools with a lot to offer. They each have a TOTALLY different feel, and only YOU can say which one feels right for you.</p>

<p>I will definitely do a visit to both!</p>

<p>Complik you are from the RGV? I’m from McAllen, where are you from? Me & another student from STC will be making a trip to College Station to check out the campus & meet some professors this summer.</p>

<p>I’m from Harlingen</p>

<p>I don’t notice any strictness.
There are those traditions like not walking on the MSC’s grass, but I wouldn’t call that strict.</p>

<p>It sure can be boring if you depend on the town that much, so you should go to UT.
I have a lot of hobbies I do at home, so I appreciate living in an apartment around little noise.</p>

<p>TAMU over UT for the money and ability to graduate in two years (I’m a Bio major).
I would not change my decision because I despise being in unnecessary debt (sounds like wasting money to me).
And I’m here to live in peace (away from my parents) and graduate, so I could care less about the social atmosphere.</p>

<p>PS - Oh yea, all of my three roommates are from South Texas. A friend I made is from there too. And yes, there are plenty of nice (and attractive) people :p</p>

<p>I recently got accepted to both A&M and UT for Computer engineering - Electrical engineering track and Electrical engineering respectively. I needed to make up my mind, but once I visited college station, I declined UT. I’ve actually never been to UT Austin, but am the kind of person that likes suburban areas unlike Dallas, Houston and Austin. for me, College Station was perfect.</p>

<p>That’s interesting. As far as getting a job, is it better to go to UT?</p>

<p>Complik, I don’t think so. I’m in the engineering field and graduates from either school are thought of very highly and a network exists for both. Here in Texas, the network for Aggies might be a little tighter, but not much.</p>

<p>Good that sounds pretty good. I’m assuming the engineering is just marginally less at A&M, probably unnoticeable.</p>