Too Early for Books?

<p>Is it too early to start looking for deals on books? For the “experienced” parents, do you see the required books list change frequently, or classes have prof’s change that will use different books? </p>

<p>Thanks for advice!</p>

<p>we usually wait till classes start to get books. </p>

<p>we have done way better getting books from chegg and amazon and others. my kid has found that the international versions of books have worked fine for her, and those can be had for a fraction of the cost of USA versions.</p>

<p>the only outrageous semester for books was the first one where husband insisted we buy them all from the bookstore on campus. it was well over 600, and i don’t think that even included all the books.</p>

<p>i don’t think my daughter had had people request different books, but i think some don’t require the book at all.</p>

<p>It’s not too early if:</p>

<p>you’re certain that your son won’t change classes or sections</p>

<p>you only buy req’d books that you’re rather certain will be used</p>

<p>If looking/buying early helps you get the best deals on used books.</p>

<p>If you do buy a book that ends up not being used, sell it at the Used book store on The Strip.</p>

<p>It is probably too early to buy books. While the books listed will likely not change, there are some professors who list a book as required and then never use the book so students with book scholarships (notably those using GI Bill benefits) can get the books included in their scholarships.</p>

<p>I will generally email each instructor after a quick online search of textbook prices asking if the book is indeed required (selected classes only-there are some classes where one will definitely need the book) and if an international or previous edition is acceptable. When purchasing international editions, I try to get the ones with color printing (if applicable) and high-quality paper as some of the less expensive copies are printed in black and white on really thin paper which makes it difficult to read as the other pages show through.</p>

<p>While most textbooks will be protected by copyright restrictions, there are some authors who post free PDFs of their books online. I’d really like to see UA begin using more open-source textbooks for classes as many subjects have high quality textbooks available free as PDFs or $15-$20 for a printed copy.</p>

<p>I’ve see too many professors either not use the book, or give additional workbooks to buy, or something. I’d wait to see what’s given on the first day of class.</p>