Too late to join Corps?

<p>I just decided today I'd like to join for fall 2014. Im going to call them tomorrow, but just wondering if anybody here knows whether it's too late to join corps of cadets?</p>

<p>What year are you? They will put you in sq-18 or k-1 as those are the transfer outfits. You will do one semester as a fish and then move on from there depending on your classification</p>

<p>I’m actually an incoming freshmen. </p>

<p>It’s not too late at all. You would normally sign up during New Student Conference, which won’t occur for several more months. In the meantime, you might consider attending a Spend The Night. That will provide a little taste of what the Corps is like.</p>

<p>Can anyone confirm if it’s true that all Corps members get at least $1K in scholarship?</p>

<p>With 1800 or so Corps scholarships available and 2400 cadets I don’t think it’s automatic, just likely that you’ll get one. </p>

<p>The scholarships are not automatic. But you can receive them during the year. My son did not have one his first semester but was awarded one the start his spring semester freshman year. During the NSC, there is typically a Corp session where you can meet people from the different outfits to help detemine where you think there may be a fit for you. Good luck!</p>

<p>I highly recommend the Spend the Night with a Cadet program. My son did it and loved it. It gave him an opportunity to see what it is like to be a cadet and also to attend a college class. Some of the guys took him on a tour of the campus and he really enjoyed it. He was also given a lot of information about the cadet program.</p>

<p>Thanks. Ya I was talking with a recruiter and they confirmed that a lot of people get them half way in… (maybe to make sure you’re committed??), I guess first year I’ll have to pay OOS tuition…</p>

<p>Smooth76, my son said that when he went to Apply Texas and filled out the scholarship information, he was able to apply for the Corps scholarships that way. I believe the deadline was Dec 1st though. When he went back in to his Apply Texas account, it shows that he applied for the Corps scholarships.</p>

<p>“The Corps of Cadets does NOT have a separate scholarship application; filling out and submitting the ApplyTexas scholarship application will make you eligible for consideration for Corps Scholarships as well as the numerous other scholarships available to all students who attend Texas A&M.”</p>

<p><a href=“scholarships”>http://corps.tamu.edu/scholarships&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>My ApplyTexas says I applied for Corps scholarship too so that’s good. Just wondering then- do you know how they determine the 75% of freshmen that get them? Is it just academic merit (ACT/class rank) or are they specifically looking for leadership?</p>

<p>Smooth, that’s great! I don’t know how they determine who gets the scholarships though. Maybe someone else here will know. I hope you get it! You might want to think about attending the Spend the Night with a Cadet program. I don’t know if that will help, but it’s a great experience.</p>

<p>My son is out of state too, so he flew into College Station. The school provided transportation to and from the airport at College Station.</p>

<p><a href=“Spend the Night with the Corps”>http://corps.tamu.edu/spend-the-night-with-the-corps&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

1 Like

<p>If you are interested in joining the Corps, call or email Col Hawes or Major Hoffman. They will help you out and point you in the right direction. Two years ago we were told that they did not have a single out of state student that was paying OOs tuition. They were getting every OOS member a scholarship of at least $1000 to get the tuition waiver. They are looking for academics and leadership potential. Academics are a big deal to the Corps.</p>