Top 10% rule

<p>Does UCs allow top 10% of graduating class to be automatically accepted into any UC school?</p>

<p>um no. ucla and berkeley had a 45% elc acceptance rate, meaning even if you're in the top 10%, you only a 45% chance of getting into ucla and berkeley.</p>

<p>Bad logic, bman. That's like saying that since Harvard has an x% admissions rate, you have an x% chance of getting in. No, if you have less than a 5.6 GPA and a 2700 SAT, you still have a 0% chance of getting in.</p>

<p>^ what you said made no sense. try to speak in english.</p>

<p>hes saying that you cant quantify it. </p>

<p>But yes, if you are in california, and in the top 10% of your class, you automatically get into A uc school. (probably merced...)</p>

<p>That's what my counselor told me.</p>

<p>it's actually the top 4% in participating CA schools that are guaranteed admission to AN UC school. no guarantees on which UC.....
but if you're in the top 4%, you'll probably get in somewhere good.</p>

<p>oh i see. So if I'm in top 4% theres no guarantee I'm going to berkeley, they might put me in Santa Barbara or something?</p>

<p>Do I have to apply to all those schools for it to work (the UCs), or does the UC system handle it?</p>

<p>You have to apply, otherwise they wont have your information on file to determine that you are in the top 4%</p>

<p>
[quote]
Do I have to apply to all those schools for it to work (the UCs), or does the UC system handle it?

[/quote]

You apply to each UC campus separately, but I'm not sure if they know your ELC status. I never mentioned it in my apps, yet a few schools seemed to know it already.</p>

<p>the previous poster said that if your top 4%, you will automatically get accepted by A UC school, but if you only apply to the top ones, then I'm guessing you might not be accepted correct?</p>

<p>
[quote]
You apply to each UC campus separately, but I'm not sure if they know your ELC status. I never mentioned it in my apps, yet a few schools seemed to know it already.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>There's a place on the app in which you write your ELC number if you have one.</p>

<p>ELC (top 4%) guarantees you all the UCs except LA, Berkeley, and SD, with a possibility for scholarships as well. SD's point system grants I think 500pts towards people with ELC, which is significant when factoring in point totals when the cutoff is hovering near 7600 nowadays. Top 12% is guaranteed A UC, although by no means is there a guarantee for some of the mid-tier UCs like Davis, Irvine, or SB.</p>

<p>pingchu,
If you are ELC they will notify to which UC you are automatically accepted. After that you have to send application to that particular school if you want to go there.</p>