Top Journalism schools on the East Coast

<p>Hey everyone,
I'm a junior in high school. I'm from Connecticut and don't want to go too far from home. I'm interested in journalism, specifically magazine journalism and am looking for a good program on the east coast, preferably Northeast. I've done a lot of research and found that the best j-schools seem to be at: Northwestern, Mizzou, Syracuse, Ohio University, Indiana, UNC Chapel Hill. The problem is, I'm not sure if I'm willing to go to the midwest for school (which seems to be where most of the top schools are). Any suggestions are welcome!
Also, I was wondering if you guys think it's necessary to major in journalism for a career in the magazine industry. A lot of schools that I'm interested (eg. BC, Villanova, Bucknell, Lafayette) don't offer journalism as a major. Would I be at a disadvantage if I majored in english or history instead of journalism?</p>

<p>It’s not quite Northeast, but Maryland has a top journalism school. I’m from NY, it’s about a 4-5 hour drive for me. Not bad. Penn State also has a good one. I too was looking for top j-schools not too far, I didn’t really find many in the immediate Northeast. I was looking at Northeastern in Boston for a while and really liked the school but they didn’t have a top j-school compared to MD so I decided against it (among a few other reasons).</p>

<p>Forget OU.
UNC, Syracuse, NYU, Maryland…</p>

<p>You could go to a LAC and major in English. Everything depends on your long term goals.</p>

<p>Forget OU.
UNC, Syracuse, NYU, Maryland…</p>

<p>You could go to a LAC and major in English. Everything depends on your long term goals.</p>

<p>Also, Emerson College in Boston.</p>

<p>How is the j program at BU?</p>

<p>It’s good. Not the best, but it’s respected.</p>

<p>You don’t need to major in journalism for a career in the field, especially for magazine journalism. Major in whatever interests you, take writing courses, work on the school newspaper, and do internships. At the schools you mentioned that interest you (e.g., BC, Villanova, Bucknell, Lafayette), you can take a variety of writing courses in their English depts., including courses in writing creative nonfiction and, at some of these schools, courses in some other types journalistic writing. Villanova also has a communications dept. that offer some of the types of courses you would take in journalism school, and the English and communication depts. offer a joint program in writing & rhetoric.</p>

<p>Unless travel costs would be a huge consideration for you, I’d still encourage you not to write off the Midwest. It has many of the best J-schools, some located in great college towns (Bloomington, Columbia, Madison, Lawrence, KS) or in/near fabulous cities (Minneapolis, Chicago), and at schools with a range and depth of course offerings not found in many other places. On the other hand, most of these programs are at universities quite a bit larger than the schools that interest you in the Northeast.</p>