Top Journalism Schools

<p>I'm definitely interested in attending a grad school for journalism (magazine, specifically), but the only one I really know about is Columbia. Does anyone know of some top-ranked journalism programs?</p>

<p>University of Missouri-Columbia, Northwestern, UNC Chapel Hill, Indiana University-Bloomington, University of Florida, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Berkeley</p>

<p>George Washington University has good political communications: <a href="http://www.smpa.gwu.edu/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.smpa.gwu.edu/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Also I highly recommend Mizzou, and Georgia.</p>

<p>There's also Syracuse University.</p>

<p>While some solid programs have been suggested, im-blue's and Hoo's mention of Missouri-Columbia is spot-on. Its far and away the top school. It has been atop Journalism rankings since rankings have been done. It is also well-known for the Mizzou-Mafia - the network of Mizzou grads in top journalism jobs, which is helpful when it comes time to get a job. As a side benefit, Columbia, MO is usually listed by Money Magazine as one of the top cities in the country to live in.</p>

<p>Missouri is certainly among the best of the best. If you're really interested in pursuing life in the mags, I'd suggest the Magazine sequence @ Northwestern.</p>

<p>You also have to weigh some other factors. What is your undergrad degree in? Most master's programs in journalism are geared toward teaching people w/o journalism undergrad degrees the proper way to be a journalist.</p>

<p>And if you're really serious about the magazine industry, don't just look at the schools. Look at the towns they are in. If you pick a good school in a place that has a magazine like the one you want to work at, seek an internship there. You'll be ahead of where you'd be if you went to a great school but didn't get that experience.</p>

<p>~Audrey</p>

<p>Good list to answer the question....where did you get the rankings list...is there one?? Thanks</p>

<p>I am a high school senior: 31 act, 4.2 gpa on a 4 so I hopefully can get in most of them....but I can't find a ranking, not that that is the only criteria, but would like to see a great listing of the best schools...your short list was good all by itself. thanks</p>

<p>Maybe a bit off topic, but my son will be graduating from Cornell University in May '06 and having had a wonderful LA education (American Studies major) is now considering grad school to focus on the "hard" skills and credentialing that may help him break into the field of Broadcast journalism, specifically related to sports. He is a wonderful writer (some limited experience writing sports "human interest" stories), a total sports trivia geek and just wants to spend his life somewhere near the folks that play the games. He has had a summer internship with a local sports radio station, a month long highschool internship with a major cable TV sports company and three summers working in sales/marketing for a national league baseball team.</p>

<p>Should he be looking for communication programs instead? Any thoughts or direction will be appreciated. Any specific programs to recommend?</p>

<p>I may also post this as a new thread.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>The University of Pennsylvania also has a journalism school, the Annenberg School of Communications.</p>

<p>Don't forget the Edward R. Murrow School at Washington State University in Pullman, WA.</p>

<p>I want to work for the New York Times. What are the chances of that happening (how many apply for an entry-level position)? I sound clueless here, but does the Times care if an applicant graduated from Columbia (I'm guessing yes?) and Missouri? What factors do they look at, and which is most important? Writing portfolio, grades, internships?</p>

<p>But even before entering the workplace: how hard is if to get into Columbia School of Journalism? I'm about to do research online, but if you have first-hand insight, please share.</p>

<p>What about USC? They have a good school, but i'm not sure what there specialties are.</p>

<p>The NYT has been known for never hiring people out of the school. They basically hire the best ones they find after a couple of years on the Job. they don't really care about where you got your education... what is really important is your Clip Portfolio.</p>

<p>I would suggest you also to have a look at the Columbia Master in International Affairs with a concentration in International Media and Communication. It's a two year program, generally highly considered in the field...</p>

<p>About Columbia School of Journalism: getting in can be hard or easy depending on who you are. They have a test, and you can download past years tests from their website. A lot of internationals are applying to Columbia because it's in NY.</p>

<p>I might be partial to Columbia... but I guess its location just puts it one step above every other school. New York City is the world media capital city, and being in NY (as opposed to being somewhere in the countryside) does give you a lot, when considering the specific field you want to work in. Journalism is made where things are happening, and where the media companies are.</p>

<p>When I was trying to decide on grad schools for journalism I received alot of advice from college profs and people well-known in the journalism industry. The top schools that I was given were:
- Columbia
- UNC
- Maryland
- Northwestern
- USC
- Missouri
- Nebraska</p>

<p>I chose to attend Nebraska b/c it is growing rapidly, unlike many of the other schools. While UNC, Maryland and Missouri are still top schools, several people mentioned that they had taken a small step back. Two people played a major role in my decision to choose Nebraska: Charles Overby, chairman, chief executive officer and president
of the Freedom Forum; and John Siegenthaler Sr., former president of the American Society of Newspaper Editors and founding editorial director of USA Today. Both of these men are highly respected in the journalism field and both said that Nebraska's J-school is probably a top 5 school. So take it from them, not me. I've only be at Nebraska for 5 weeks.</p>

<p>someone had mentioned Georgia. honestly , I've been looking around and GA doesn't seem to have their sh** together as much as UF. Either case, if you're looking into grad work, I'd def say hit up Columbia, or NYU (depending on what field you're focusing on). I plan on doing some gard work here at UF, but want to go farther with my docatorate up in NY and possibly seek out some other venues for post-doc work elsewhere. NE Wayz, that's just my two pennies, which aint worth 1/2 a cent (go figure that one out).
Pe@c3 OutZ
Richie Rich</p>

<p>what about texas-austin?</p>

<p>What about the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University?</p>

<p>The Scripps school is the best hidden secret. May be the best one in the nation.</p>

<p>I've been accepted to the graduate broadcast programs at Missouri, USC, Northwestern and American. I am having a tough time deciding, and to make it even harder American called and offered me about a 75% scholarship. I know it doesn't have the name the others do and that worries me a little. I want to know how much you guys think name matters.</p>