Top Scholar's Day... 4/16

<p>Is anyone going to Top Scholars Day this Monday, April 16? We went to Capstone Honors Day and trying to determine if this will be worthwhile. We would like to see dorm other than RCS North and give son a better idea of building locations so he will have that in mind when scheduling classes. Should we go?</p>

<p>Where are you coming from? If it’s a long distance, I doubt you’d learn much more.</p>

<p>If you want to learn more about dorm locations, let me post a campus map or something.</p>

<p><a href=“http://img.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/albums/v133/feenotype/0qAJj-cropped.jpg[/url]”>http://img.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/albums/v133/feenotype/0qAJj-cropped.jpg&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Ok…here’s the pic </p>

<p>The upper horizonal black line in the cropped pic is where honors housing is.</p>

<p>the buildings that look like a wide smile are Riverside halls</p>

<p>the buildings on the left of that (across that street that divides them) are Lakeside. They’re above that small lake.</p>

<p>the building that is just under the upper black line on the far left is Ridgecrest South.</p>

<p>Ridgecrest West is on the upper line, below that lake. </p>

<p>The upper right corner of the black lined rectangle is where the new Science and Engineering Complex is. </p>

<p>If you were to further divide that black rectangle into quadrants, the upper right quadrant would be the science/engineering area where all their buildings are located. </p>

<p>Many of the buildings in that lower right quadrant are also math/science as well. </p>

<p>So, along with Phase IV of the SEC, the remod of Russell Hall (and its add on) and the remod of the building next to it will bring much more academic space to the campus. </p>

<p>The humanities/liberal arts buildings are mostly in the upper left quadrant.</p>

<p>The business, education, and (I think) communications buildings are mostly in the lower left quadrant.</p>

<p>Rose Towers (dorm) is that tall, reddish building above the upper black line, by the river. That’s what’s being torn down this summer. The new building to it’s right, is its replacement and soon will be complete. Then, another new dorm will be built on the Rose Towers site.</p>

<p>The Riverwalk and The Park at Manderson Landing are both located along the Black Warrior River you see. The Park is located right above the honors dorms and the Riverwalk is located to the left.</p>

<p>In the lower left quadrant, along the black line, you see some very red Alabama clay dirt from new construction…yes…that’s the color of dirt here in the state!</p>

<p>My D and husband attended Capstone Honors and then she and I attended Top Scholars Day. As m2k said it is fine if you are close, but it seemed to be more for those who still hadn’t made a decision. We listened to a few students from UFE, CBH, IHP speak on their experience. I don’t want to discourage you from coming, but unless you just have the extra time and want a reason to return to campus it isn’t necessary. But then again, who doesn’t like a reason to enjoy the campus with this beautiful weather!</p>

<p>lol…true about the weather.</p>

<p>And if you only saw the campus in the winter when all the trees were bare, you’ll see a “different” school.</p>

<p>From Mississippi, just 2 1/2 hours. Thanks for map m2ck… which dorms did your kids (I assume 2) live in? Son has room selection 2nd day, 1st time (Tuesday after TSD) but he is going “potluck” on roomates. He is honors, engineering and also playing with MDB.</p>

<p>Thanks also for all the other info… it has been so helpful! :>)</p>

<p>Older son was in Riverside West and Lakeside West. </p>

<p>younger one was in Ridgecrest South, N T</p>

<p>For engineering, really any of them. Does he want frosh suitemates?</p>

<p>I assume he wants to be with other freshman (btw, why frosh?). When you login to room selection and choosing room are you able to see if other students already in room are frosh or other? Also are you able to show only honors rooms available not all?</p>

<p>The only way to tell if the other students in the room are freshmen is to look them up on facebook and hope that they have a graduation year listed on their profile. If your son hasn’t done so already, have him add UA to his education section of facebook.</p>

<p>I’m not too sure why frosh is used other than that it avoids the confusion of using the singular or plural form of freshman eg there are many freshmen in the freshman class. Some people I know use the term fish to refer to freshmen, while I follow the University of Virgina tradition and say first year students or sometimes new students as many freshmen coming to UA are not freshmen by credit hours. I was a junior when I came to UA.</p>

<p>Riverside is the closest to the engineering buildings, but I’ve had engineering majors for roommates in Ridgecrest West who found it easy to get to their classes, so it depends on the student and which dorms are available.</p>

<p>S (engineer) has been in Riverside W and likes the close location to those buildings. Riverside E would be a similar situation.</p>

<p>My son and I attended Top Scholar’s Day March 5. I’m not sure if all the kids were NMF, but I can tell you at least most of the kids we met were. It was very much of a repeat of what we had heard on previous visits. The only dorm we were shown was Ridgecrest South North Tower. It was nice for my son to be in the Bama environment again and we enjoyed talking to a professor in his school. Of course it was a very pleasant experience and the Honors college staff was extremely hospitable. Not sure whether it’s worth going again on that day for you. If it’s just to get an idea of the location of certain dorms, that can be done on any day…After A-day game???</p>

<p>Wish we could go to A-Day game. Went last year… Was great! Will likely go Monday. </p>

<p>Does anyone have opinion on whether frosh son should try to be in suite with other frosh or upper class? Or just don’t worry about it?</p>