Tornado clean up

<p>Just a quick update from T-Town. I know some of you are regular visitors and so this will be "old"news but just had to share Pulled into town yesterday to move DD into her apt. (she has to be here early for sorority things and wanted time to get really settled before Spirit Week started) came down 15th street and “WOW”!!! They have done a phenomenal amount of work since I was here just a few day past April 27th. Is there a lot to do yet… but oh my the differences are amazing! Huge kudos to the Mayor and especially to all of the volunteers and tornado relief workers (and don’t forget all of the UA students :slight_smile: ) who have helped!!! Don’t get me wrong it is still so sad and there is A LOT more to do but I did not expect to see so much progress. the kids were chattering in the car about the new building and what had been cleaned up.
For those of you who are new to T-Town you will look at the devastation and this “oh my this is awful, awful, awful” but I want you to know that it was many times worse and the city has worked so hard to do so much in just a little over 3 months. Way to go Tuscaloosa!!!</p>

<p>Yes…I was in T-town last week and much has been done. And, you’re right, much still needs to be done. </p>

<p>There seems to be some Priority Order of what things are being cleared/repaired first, so some things have been determined to be “later on the list.” But, that’s to be expected when a lot has to be done. </p>

<p>I was surprised to see that the Hobby Lobby shopping center hadn’t been cleared yet. I wonder if that’s because those businesses won’t be returning to that particular location and until an investor expresses interest to do a complete rebuild of that shopping center, there’s no priority there. I guess it needs an investor to come forward and decide it wants that land for something. It’s a great location, so it would be great for a new hotel. Hilton or Embassy Suites are you listening? </p>

<p>I certainly don’t want to scare anyone. T-town is a big city and most was not physically damaged by the Tornado, but one long stripe through the city is what we’re talking about.
Many businesses and homes were untouched, but a good number were damaged as well. Again, it’s like a stripe running diagonally across a large city…with the rest of the city untouched.</p>

<p>Kudos to all whose spirit and fortitude have brought so much progress! </p>

<p>The Hobby Lobby Center might not be cleared yet if there is an insurance dispute or concern. When Rita and Ike hit us, people and businesses that had concerns were in a holding pattern until all was resolved. Our large mall and one strip mall did not come back for over a year.</p>

<p>The Hobby Lobby Center might not be cleared yet if there is an insurance dispute or concern.</p>

<p>Ahh…yes that is possible. Didn’t think of that.</p>

<p>But…I still think that because of it’s prime location that wasn’t really being used well, another project needs to go in there. It really isn’t the right spot for Hobby Lobby. That should be further south on Mc Farland. </p>

<p>Don’t know if Full Moon’s new location is permanent or temp…that was in the Hobby Lobby center.</p>

<p>I’ll agree with crimsonmom2be about the insurance. For those of you familiar with Opry Mills here in Nashville, they still have not returned to business after the massive flooding in May 2010 mainly because of a insurance dispute revolving around 1 sentence in the policy and $50 million dollars. The Grand Ole Opry and Opryland did not have those issues and reopened within a year.</p>

<p>Yep crimsonmomtobe is correct. There is an insurance issue with Hobby Lobby and that’s the hold up on that site. Hopefully they’ll get it straightened out soon as that’s really an eyesore.</p>

<p>Well, if there’s an issue, I hope it gets settled soon. McFarland is a major “entrance” to T-town and it’s not good to have visitors driving by one area that is just crumbles…</p>

<p>What’s the problem? Is the insurer claiming that Tornado damage isn’t covered?</p>

<p>Apparently the site was sold a few weeks or so before the Tornado hit and the new owner may not have had insurance in effect yet. </p>

<p>That’s just what I’ve read on various message boards. But you never know in regards to accuracy of some rumors.</p>

<p>Oh wow…if there is a loan on that property then there should have been insurance required before close of sale.</p>